Is it normal.........

The first time you take a 2001 yzf426 out on a chilly day to spend 4 hours trying to get it to start eventually getting frustrated and going home?

It started fine yesterday when the tempertaure was warmer and It almost started on the first kick today and then after that nothing. I called and got some people to check the internet for starting procudeures and none of them worked. We tried a push start down a mile long hill and got the wheel to turn in second but still the only sign of life we got was 1 backfire and that was it.

I thought I would ask on here before I take it to a mechanic and get charged for a diagnosis, I knew that that this particular bike is known for being difficult to start but is it supposed to be this difficult? I am thinking about changing the plugs tomorroww but is that really the problem is there just a magical touch that takes a few days of practice before you can get one to crank?

How long have you had it? You may have flooded it right off and wet fouled your plug. Or it may just be cold enough that your oil has thickened up and made it hard to kick through with enough force to get the engine to fire up. However since you tried to bump start it and nothing I suspect that this is not the problem. Check the easy things first, like the plug, is it getting fuel, is it getting fire. What tempuratures are we talking about? Do you know the starting routine? Are you kicking it through the full stroke, or are you kicking it like a two stroke (short quick strokes)? These bikes are only difficult to start when you first get them and have to learn the routine, after you know how to start it they usually don't take more than 3 or 4 kicks to start cold. Hope this helps.

Josh

Not normal ! My 426 starts the first kick 90% of the time in any temp, on a bad day it takes 2 kicks and its most likely my fault for not kicking all the way through the stroke. If its cold I give it 2 throttle pumps prestart, no chock, starts right up everytime. If its not your plug check your valve they might be loose.

The first time you take a 2001 yzf426 out on a chilly day to spend 4 hours trying to get it to start eventually getting frustrated and going home?

It started fine yesterday when the tempertaure was warmer and It almost started on the first kick today and then after that nothing. I called and got some people to check the internet for starting procudeures and none of them worked. We tried a push start down a mile long hill and got the wheel to turn in second but still the only sign of life we got was 1 backfire and that was it.

I thought I would ask on here before I take it to a mechanic and get charged for a diagnosis, I knew that that this particular bike is known for being difficult to start but is it supposed to be this difficult? I am thinking about changing the plugs tomorroww but is that really the problem is there just a magical touch that takes a few days of practice before you can get one to crank?

Welcome to TT. First off, get rid of the starting drill, install a 450 exhaust cam and then you can have auto decompression (and it will kick over) like all the newer bikes. Use the search feature for info on the cam swap.

YZF's is they don't like to be started and then shut off without being completely warmed up. If you start your YZF, then ride it around a little bit. Also, the 426's will foul a plug quicker than a 2 stroke if you make the mistake of giving it gas while starting it. On a cold day, I pull the choke out, slowly kick it thru about 5 times to get the juices flowing and then give it one or two good solid kicks and most of the time it will start right up.

I assume you know the 426 starting drill...correct? (no gas and find TDC then kick)

The cam swap will make it easier...just kick to start

2 things other than you may have flooded it as you mention.

1 - temp changes make these very sensitive to start....I will add a richer/larger mainjet to help (if the temps are 15-20 degrees colder)

2 - valves that have not been serviced will tighten making these very difficult to start

Over time I have learned the hard way that if my YZ450f doesn't start by the fifth kick or so to just give up and go get a new plug.

I sat there the first time and kicked that thing until I was blue in the face and it would pop a little and try to run but never did. Luckily I was at the house so I just pushed it back in and limped back in the house.

Like I said, now if it doesn't start by the 5th kick I just pull the plug and brush it off and put it back in and it runs like a champ.

I've had very good luck with brushing off a fouled plug with a brass brush and reusing it.