Possible design flaw 06' XR650L left side case cover.

26 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:25 AM

Weld a flat washer on the inside of the shift lever.

very good idea! new one to me.

• phuzz

Posted October 11, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Anything that will disperse the concentration of lbs/in² will help/fix this issue.

Increase the surface area of the backside of the shifter, or the metal plate idea for the case cover. Even the rubber idea works.

Anyone try to grind down the joint on the shifter, so the tip would have to swing in if the bike tipped over?

• Davexr650L

Posted August 19, 2015 - 06:35 AM

@TARFELE i know this is old but manracks.com does make case savers for both sides of the xr650l! If i would of known it was just a piece of steel, i would of made my own instead of paying $30!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Davexr650L

Posted August 19, 2015 - 06:37 AM

That will not work, it's the force that makes the crack! You gotta put protection on the case

• mcma111

Posted August 19, 2015 - 03:31 PM

Man Racks Sator Guard

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0178.JPG

• Pew1967

Posted August 30, 2015 - 03:51 AM

Welcome to ThumperTalk! And you lost your cherry to the garage floor huh! Welcome to the only shortcoming on the L other than no rocket launchers. Hopefully it didnt bend the cover up, because if it did its toast, generally you can do the JB weld thing on the inside of the cover and fix it, be sure to rough it up with sand paper, and clean with solvent first though.
Everyone else you can toughen your left side cover to prevent this by doing the JB weld thing to strengthen the cover in the general area, on the inside.
I have been trying to figure out how to protect this cover, and the easiest way I have found is to put jb weld inside it!

• Pew1967

Posted August 30, 2015 - 03:54 AM

I had the same thing happen . Mine put a nice hole in the cover.
Anyone know how hard the cover is to replace? Any tips

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.