blue flames out of exhaust of yz450f

14 replies to this topic
  • dirtman22

Posted October 22, 2006 - 03:46 PM

hey i rode my 2003 yz450f today for about 2 hours then washed it when i was done, but when i tried to start it back up after washing it, it started to pop and sputter and i looked back and blue flames were coming out of the exhaust. I turned off the engine, and tried to start it back up and it wouldnt start for the rest of the day. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before and what do you guys think it could be? Thanks

• WFOracer

Posted October 22, 2006 - 06:21 PM

Maybe it was the afterburner that caused the blue flames....:mad:

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2006 - 06:48 PM

Wet wiring and possibly a fouled plug.

• cuddies say YEE 925

Posted October 22, 2006 - 07:08 PM

did you get water in the engine?

• mxracer206

Posted October 23, 2006 - 04:24 AM

hey i rode my 2003 yz450f today for about 2 hours then washed it when i was done, but when i tried to start it back up after washing it, it started to pop and sputter and i looked back and blue flames were coming out of the exhaust. I turned off the engine, and tried to start it back up and it wouldnt start for the rest of the day. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before and what do you guys think it could be? Thanks

If you did not change the air filter it could have been soaked with water. Also a freshly oiled filter needs to sit a while before starting the bike, either thing will cause your bike to run poorly.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 23, 2006 - 05:32 AM

Wet airfilter is not your friend...........it must be swapped out to start and run right...you can suck water into the carb......probably why you flamed out....

• dirtman22

Posted October 23, 2006 - 07:03 AM

hey thanks i think it must be that i got the air filter wet, do i need to get a new one for it to run, and wat if i got water in the engine how would i fix that

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:04 AM

restart the bike with a clean oiled filter..that should clean out any moisture...

• dirtman22

Posted October 23, 2006 - 02:01 PM

hey next time i go out to ride it im gonna clean and oil the air filter and hope that works, but what if i got some water in the engine wat should i do

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2006 - 02:05 PM

Pour a half pint of ethyl alcohol in a full gas tank. Makes water disappear (in small quantities, of course)

• dirtman22

Posted October 24, 2006 - 02:16 PM

ok and for next time i was my bike i have an exhaust plug which works well but what do you guys use to cover up the engine hole and the hole in the air filter box?

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2006 - 03:27 PM

Engine hole?

As to the air cleaner intake, I just don't spray into it.

• dirtman22

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:08 PM

yea the drain hole on the cylinder head on the right side

• Beejay

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Blue flames from a blue bike, you should be worried if they were yellow, orange or red ;-)

Have you checked if the airfilter is wet yet, don't wait to clean & oil the filter before your next ride, do it straight after washing your bike after every ride.

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:50 PM

yea the drain hole on the cylinder head on the right side

I don't worry about that. It is, after all, a drain.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.