Maybe good, maybe bad?? U Tell ME

6 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted October 21, 2006 - 10:26 PM

I had a interesting idea!! Searched the threads, and did not see anything. First I would like to put a smaller battery in my 650l. I would appreciate any suggestions. Then I would like to install a small compressor in the box and have it hooked up an air shock that would take place of the swing arm shock. This way you could vary your suspension to what type of riding, or weight. Tell me what you think, and if you think this would work.

• simon@vic

Posted October 22, 2006 - 07:37 AM

1- bad idea. you need that battery for the starter!
2- bad idea. your current setup will work better!

• xr650l bum

Posted October 22, 2006 - 09:10 AM

I have seen posts where people have gone to smaller batteries. Waiting to see how that turned out in the long run. How about we s#%t can the compressor idea. Would be nice, but complicated. Lets still stick we the air shock, as most of us carry air or pump already with us. I believe with a heavy spring, you could really have a good ride in desert, then soften for the street ride home! Sounds easy. Now I need to find the right shock for replacing existing. Any help would be appreciated!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmhrc630

Posted October 22, 2006 - 02:21 PM

I run a XR650L electric starter on my XR600R engine with CRF450X battery.

Massive CCAs and small weight make the option very good.

Obviously the XR600 has the flat left side cover as stock so the bike's girth is far reduced from the XR650L

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 22, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I run a XR650L electric starter on my XR600R engine with CRF450X battery.

Massive CCAs and small weight make the option very good.

Obviously the XR600 has the flat left side cover as stock so the bike's girth is far reduced from the XR650L

Could you post pics of that as I would be interested in part #'s and how it was converted.
Bill

• pigryder

Posted October 22, 2006 - 02:59 PM

I have seen posts where people have gone to smaller batteries. Waiting to see how that turned out in the long run. How about we s#%t can the compressor idea. Would be nice, but complicated. Lets still stick we the air shock, as most of us carry air or pump already with us. I believe with a heavy spring, you could really have a good ride in desert, then soften for the street ride home! Sounds easy. Now I need to find the right shock for replacing existing. Any help would be appreciated!

Fox shocks started making air shocks for the front of sport quads might be a good place to start looking

• rebelventurer

Posted October 22, 2006 - 03:56 PM

Buy a XR650R and you will get rid of the battery, theres lots of air shock for harleys out there maybe you could adapt one of those. Fox does not make a shock of appropriate size for the 650 at this time. Quad shocks are too long, 50 shocks too small, I do not know why they dont make one they used to have some badass MX air shocks 20 years ago. I think they concentrate on bicyle, and snowmobile shox these days.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.