Since Forks seem to be popular...

8 replies to this topic
  • Zique

Posted October 21, 2006 - 06:29 PM

What's up all. Well, I put on some new to me lower clamps today, greased the bearings, and got my broken cap replaced. I have checked and double checked and triple checked the height of the forks, but something is definitely amis now. The bike doesn't want to stick a straight line and turning feels really funny. The settings on both forks are the same. Any thoughts on where to go from here? Could the lower clamps cause any kind of problem like this? :dunno:

• dooweb2

Posted October 22, 2006 - 11:11 AM

I dont know what you did but start here check your tire pressure .. reset your axel you have to tighten one side the hold front brake and bounce front suspension a few times then tighten the other side .. also loosen your tri[ple clamps and torwue them you can over tighten them and restrict the fork movement .. I think they need to be about 12 ft lb .. if you hand cranked them you could easily be at 40 lbs .. after all that put bike on the stand and bleed the aair out of the forks .. go ride should be good unless you got into the forks and screwed soemthing else up as well lol but no worries your learning how to do it now ....

• Zique

Posted October 22, 2006 - 02:54 PM

tire pressure good
axel wasn't even removed
forks are even
air was bled...
but I can guarantee I'm over 12# on the clamp bolts. Is that really all they take? I'm probably at 20ish. I'll try that tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks.

• Urps

Posted October 22, 2006 - 03:25 PM

yeah man on my 125 they take fourteen for the trip clamps
and seventeen for the bottom pinch bolts

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MJC476

Posted October 22, 2006 - 03:57 PM

Are you sure that your new (aftermarket?) bottom clamp has the same offset as the top one

• KJ790

Posted October 22, 2006 - 03:58 PM

yeah man on my 125 they take fourteen for the trip clamps
and seventeen for the bottom pinch bolts

I think you have it backwards, I believe it is 14 ft/lb on the bottom clamp and 17 on the top one. This is because if you overtighten the bottom ones it can squeeze the tube and cause the fork legs to bind as they slide through. Check that, but I don't see why that would cause to to be unstable on straights. Are the new clamps the same offset as stock?

• ditchound

Posted October 22, 2006 - 04:57 PM

Sounds like the steering head bearings are too tight.

• Zique

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:01 AM

Both top and bottom are tag, but I bought the lower clamps from a fellow TT member and 'offset' was never mentioned. Since they are the same brand, they should be the same, right?

• Ga426owner

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:18 AM

Both top and bottom are tag, but I bought the lower clamps from a fellow TT member and 'offset' was never mentioned. Since they are the same brand, they should be the same, right?

ask the TTer you bought this from what the offset is?
Did you correctly torque the steering head set? Does it stick when you move the handlebars back and forth?

Call tag and see what offset is offered for your bike....they may have part # stamped on the clamps

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.