22mm RG3 Triple Clamps Combo f/ '06 450???

60 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted July 09, 2007 - 08:09 PM

First, the secrecy over the Zip-Ty offset is just silly, because any idiot could order one, measure the offset, and return it unused.

I see nothing at all that suggests the fork offset is adjustable in any way. All the parts arrayed there appear to be for changing handlebar position.

Probably, but I think their impression is why give up the goods if you don't need to. If I ran a small shop, I'd probably be a little secretive myself since there's not that many creative folks out there. There are lots of copy cats however. I was a little surprised myself, however, I think I have a better understanding now.

The offset is not adjustable, just the bar position. They have several offsets to choose depending on what you are seeking. They just don't reveal what they are. As a general rule, they are likely more aggressive than what you may expect or see in the market.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 10, 2007 - 05:07 AM

The zipty clamps have alot of pieces but it is all for adjustability. You have 2mm adjustment on the rotation of the clamp in stock position, then you have a -5 offset for people who want their bars back, and then a +5 offset for people who run them forward. They are all rubber mounted and then come with 2 height adjustment spacers. This way you can make it what you want.
Zipty Racing wil not tell you the offset becasue they want to keep some secrets. This industry is reknowned for copying and being uncreative. Can't blame them for wanting to keep it sensetive. The cost on the clamps is right there with RG3. They are $499 without a stem, so I don't know what the issue is. You all have to remember, Zipty is a factory yamaha team, so they do get priveledged info on what makes these bikes work and all I know is it makes them work.

offset secrets....hell just measure them....it aint no secret and should not be.:thumbsup:

Sounds like the adjustibility is there - I give that a plus.....499 w/o a stem installed is way too high for me...RG3's include the stem installed....you pay a premium for the adjustability....all I want is a rubber mounted clamps with the best offset for the most precise cornering/handling, if I replace mine.....no wisbang/gizmos that require anymore time, to keep trying to set it up, money or replacement parts that wear out to keep me happy.
I am already pissed that RG3 does not have anymore replacement rubbercones for the Gen 1 clamps on my 03.....and I let them know about it.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 06:53 AM

One thing to think about when buying clamps: the stock Yamaha stem is titanium.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 10, 2007 - 09:43 AM

yep another reason not to have to spend $$ on a stem. Just have it removed and repressed into an new clamp:thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted July 10, 2007 - 06:34 PM

I wish I could melt it down and make bolts for my entire bike with it.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 07:32 PM

Don't do that....

http://www.mettec.com/fastners2.htm

http://www.mettec.co...rcycles-MX2.htm

http://www.mettec.com/yamaha.htm

:thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted July 10, 2007 - 08:44 PM

Don't do that....

:thumbsup:

Now you are gonna make me get out the calculator and figure out how many are on my bike just to see what the weight savings would be.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2007 - 09:05 PM

Now you are gonna make me get out the calculator and figure out how many are on my bike just to see what the weight savings would be.:thumbsup:

You could just disassemble the whole thing, put all the bolts, axles and swing arm bolt in a pile and weigh it, then divide that in half. Maybe not.

When the prices are listed as "Call", you know what's coming next, right?

• twenty34

Posted July 11, 2007 - 09:34 PM

You could just disassemble the whole thing, put all the bolts, axles and swing arm bolt in a pile and weigh it, then divide that in half. Maybe not.

When the prices are listed as "Call", you know what's coming next, right?

I didn't realize BTW that the stem was titanium? I could have swore it was aluminum? Can you confirm this statement?

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2007 - 07:34 AM

I was pretty surprised by it myself when I picked up the first one I worked on, but based on its weight, it very clearly is not steel of any kind. Based on its hardness, it isn't at all like any kind of aluminum I've ever seen. Now, I'm not a metallurgical engineer, nor do I play one on TV, but I am an experienced welder and machinist, and it looks like Ti to me. That opinion is shared by 2 other much more accomplished machinists as well. I know that still may be a little less than truly definitive, but it sure looks like Ti to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga450owner

Posted July 12, 2007 - 08:59 AM

I was pretty surprised by it myself when I picked up the first one I worked on, but based on its weight, it very clearly is not steel of any kind. Based on its hardness, it isn't at all like any kind of aluminum I've ever seen. Now, I'm not a metallurgical engineer, nor do I play one on TV, but I am an experienced welder and machinist, and it looks like Ti to me. That opinion is shared by 2 other much more accomplished machinists as well. I know that still may be a little less than truly definitive, but it sure looks like Ti to me.

it is a alien material....called newtous ..:thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted July 13, 2007 - 08:45 PM

Not sure either,but I was told it's not Ti.:bonk:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :busted: :cheers:

• Wiz636

Posted August 07, 2007 - 10:45 AM

it is a alien material....called newtous ..:p

...and all this time I thought it was unobtainium.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 07, 2007 - 12:14 PM

Not sure either,but I was told it's not Ti.:excuseme:
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I just removed my stock 06 clamps - replaced with Applied and the stock stem (whatever it is) sure is very very light.....it is slightly darker than alum.....so if is not Ti, it is mystery metal:excuseme:

• Wiz636

Posted August 07, 2007 - 03:14 PM

Something to consider: the Rekluse E-Axle will let you change the trail 2mm either way in stepless increments. It's no more than half the cost of any full clamp set, and you can experiment with all kinds of settings and pick out what you like the best.

Gray, have you tried the e-axle? Thinking about buying one but I'd like some feedback from a user first if possible.

• RCannon

Posted August 07, 2007 - 05:49 PM

MXA, Sept 07 issue, has a great triple clamp article on the yzf 450. It sounds like Zip-TY is selling clamps with a 15mm or 17mm offset.......not a misprint.

I would love to try a set....

• twenty34

Posted August 07, 2007 - 07:24 PM

MXA, Sept 07 issue, has a great triple clamp article on the yzf 450. It sounds like Zip-TY is selling clamps with a 15mm or 17mm offset.......not a misprint.

And to think, some thought 24mm was too much.:blah: :blah: :blah:
:snore: :snore: :snore:

• Wiz636

Posted August 12, 2007 - 09:05 PM

I was lined up right next to Andy Jefferson from the ZipTy Racing team today at the WORCS race (only a little intimidating being lined up right next to the #1 plate for my class when I only ride one WORCS event a year!) and was talking to him about his clamps (and drooling over all the other super trick stuff on his bike)...he said the offset was 17mm.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:13 AM

and read the test results on the 15mm/17mm....they were not chosen for MX.....:excuseme:
They are good however for desert and Worcs as high speed stability is the key attributes for these...not cornering

• twenty34

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:39 AM

and read the test results on the 15mm/17mm....they were not chosen for MX.....:excuseme:
They are good however for desert and Worcs as high speed stability is the key attributes for these...not cornering

You may not know all the facts surounding this. ZipTy races these same clamps and not sure if you've checked lately, they do pretty well.

You have it reversed BTW. For stability, you'd go the other way with the offsets.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.