xr650l shifter too low!

26 replies to this topic
  • R1-xr650-400

Posted October 22, 2006 - 05:16 PM

thanks,but i tried that first,after over thirty years of riding i know how to do the basics,but this thing hits the stupid countersprocket case when it is up one more spline..geez honda get a clue!lol.

like I said, get a dremel, or go to a machine shop. The sprocket cover comes RIGHT off (as I'm sure you already know), and grinding out a little notch is no big deal at all. it's not going to cause any adverse effects, considering all the guys that run without one at all...

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 22, 2006 - 07:03 PM

Rotate the shifter up one on the splined shift shaft. This does require making a little notchito in (or removing) the cs cover like R1-xr650-400 has said. No big deal, just hard plastic.

Rotated mine, notched the cs cover & left it like that for all riding conditions. There's a close up photo of my modified cs cover in My Garage if you want to have a look.

This mod is even more critical when using larger aftermarket footpegs, which I also have on my XRL...

• WramblinWrex

Posted October 23, 2006 - 12:53 AM

CAUTION. i did the old "rotate on the spline" adjustment on an old Harley i had. went for a "test" run to check the position. quickly distracted and day dreaming, and an hour later i realized i should probilby get some gas...odd sort of feeling to try and down shift off the highway and get nothing but air. got distracted and forgot to tighten the damn thing before i left and it vibrated off. had to ride an hour home clutching with the right hand and shifting the linkage on the tranny by hand. Harleys taught me a lesson of "good-n-tight" and loctite.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R1-xr650-400

Posted October 23, 2006 - 04:20 AM

haha, oh shit man, tough break. I'll make sure I never forget to tighten the bolt :mad:

just curious, what kind of harley did you used to sport? I dig the oldies big time.

• WramblinWrex

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:18 PM

1980 superglide. old shovel head. built it from the ground up when i was 15. hit the streets and rode for many years. life got in the way of riding for a while, but i getting back in the game now. the old hawgs will rattle your teeth out, but their fun to ride

• R1-xr650-400

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:38 PM

sweet man...old school shovel heads will never die out!

pretty crazy that you were that much of a gear head at 15. I'm 24, and I don't know sh!t :mad:

• WramblinWrex

Posted October 24, 2006 - 11:33 PM

gear head by default. my family always had old junk cars that we had to keep running. the bike had been in the family (in many pieces) for many years. i just collected them up started putting it back together. learned a lot along the way. it has sat for 6 years or so now. i'm going to have to go through it again whenever i get time. wrenching always put my mind at ease, just you and the tools, nobody fussing with you.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.