2006: Fork Springs too soft?

3 replies to this topic
  • sic

Posted October 21, 2006 - 08:07 AM

You know, after I had that bearing problem in my hub (red loctite fixed it) I was forced to dust off an old 2000 YZ250 2-stroke and race it the following weekend.

One difference I noted between the two bikes (a difference I can do something about) is that I can't stop the 450 with massive front brake application because the front end is not holding up under the braking. Its just going way too low and getting into a part of the stroke where its kicking back like its bottomed out. The 2-stroke I can brake extremely hard and the front end does not compress that far down. Now, this is not a compression/rebound issue as I am talking about a long, continuing application of the front brake which means the spring rate is the old factor left that will determine fork height at the end of my braking run.

Now this is clearly impacting my lap times on the 450. Also, I wonder if the soft front end is making the bike "stink bug more" when I roll off the throttle in braking bumps giving it more of that 4-stroke heavy feel than I really need to be feeling.

SO, EASY QUESTION: Anybody go with a heavier front spring rate? And what rate did you select and how did it work out for you?

I'm 180 lbs (no gear), expert (but 56 years old). This is an for an outdoor MOTOCROSS application, '06 yz450.

Sic

• Ga426owner

Posted October 21, 2006 - 01:19 PM

You know, after I had that bearing problem in my hub (red loctite fixed it) I was forced to dust off an old 2000 YZ250 2-stroke and race it the following weekend.

One difference I noted between the two bikes (a difference I can do something about) is that I can't stop the 450 with massive front brake application because the front end is not holding up under the braking. Its just going way too low and getting into a part of the stroke where its kicking back like its bottomed out. The 2-stroke I can brake extremely hard and the front end does not compress that far down. Now, this is not a compression/rebound issue as I am talking about a long, continuing application of the front brake which means the spring rate is the old factor left that will determine fork height at the end of my braking run.

Now this is clearly impacting my lap times on the 450. Also, I wonder if the soft front end is making the bike "stink bug more" when I roll off the throttle in braking bumps giving it more of that 4-stroke heavy feel than I really need to be feeling.

SO, EASY QUESTION: Anybody go with a heavier front spring rate? And what rate did you select and how did it work out for you?

I'm 180 lbs (no gear), expert (but 56 years old). This is an for an outdoor MOTOCROSS application, '06 yz450.

Sic

For your weight the .47s should be perfect w/ 5.5 shock...try a revalve first.
I went up to .48s but I am 20lbs heavier than you...as well as a "special" revalve...that has made it a lot better.
Another thing I think helps is getting taller seat foam on the 06/07 seat....helps get rid of that diving or "stink bug" stanch the bike takes in heavy braking and it helps you corner better.....:devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aford541

Posted October 21, 2006 - 07:00 PM

For your weight the .47s should be perfect w/ 5.5 shock...try a revalve first.
I went up to .48s but I am 20lbs heavier than you...as well as a "special" revalve...that has made it a lot better.
Another thing I think helps is getting taller seat foam on the 06/07 seat....helps get rid of that diving or "stink bug" stanch the bike takes in heavy braking and it helps you corner better.....:devil:

I totally agree, I never even ride my new bikes before I do the suspension but I weigh 245 without gear.
There is alot in doing a revalve by the right company, I am partial to ENZO as most of you know.

Enzo does the suspension for Yamah 0f Troy and consults for the factory dudes.
Seriously consider using them give them a call and ask for Will 714-541-5218, they have saved my A$$ many a time.

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2006 - 08:50 PM

My son, who rides it most of the time, weighs 175 (no gear). I weigh 185. The stock springs seem fine. Actually, MX-Tech suggests that the ideal rider weight with gear for the stock springs is 205.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.