Need lighting kits for my 400R, and 650L

4 replies to this topic
  • R1-xr650-400

Posted October 20, 2006 - 10:32 PM

Ok, so I started doing a LOT of night riding recently...it seems to be the only time I actually get free.

To be perfectly honest, the stock headlight sucked on my 650L, and it sucks just as bad on the 400R...I'm actually kind of glad the front light got smashed up in the robbery when I rode through Nicaragua, because even though the aftermarket Cyclope one I have on there uses the same wattage as the stocker, the light on the high beam is MUCH for effective in lighting more the of trail.

What I want is some kind of aftermarket light kit, maybe something like the handle bar mounted ones they use in Baja, only smaller. I heard those ones they have on the pro 650R's for the Baja 1000 are something like 4figures just for a set of 2. Is that true? For a freaking dual light setup?

Anyway, any suggestions you have, maybe helmet accessories, although I'd like to keep those to a minimum, and also because I'd like to put a helmet cam on eventually. So while I'm open to checking out helmet lighting products, I'd prefer other setups.

Thanks.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 21, 2006 - 04:18 AM

Check with rideaide on this too I am sure he can help out. The bajadesigns lights that you mentioned are one badass light they will sell a single which is in a ccage mount design, and has on the fly adjustment via a knob mountedon top, they are hid lights which makes them expensive. I do reccomend the acerbis lights they will not hold up, to any punishment, and it would suck to have a failure and be left in the dark. :thumbsdn:
rideaide@hotmail.com:devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R1-xr650-400

Posted October 22, 2006 - 01:44 AM

Check with rideaide on this too I am sure he can help out. The bajadesigns lights that you mentioned are one badass light they will sell a single which is in a ccage mount design, and has on the fly adjustment via a knob mountedon top, they are hid lights which makes them expensive. I do reccomend the acerbis lights they will not hold up, to any punishment, and it would suck to have a failure and be left in the dark. :mad:
rideaide@hotmail.com:mad:

wait, did you mean you do NOT reccomend the acerbis lights?

And yeah, I was drooling over that Baja Designs setup...I wonder if they sell a bracket to bolt it to the top of the handlebars? I'd like to keep both my Cyclope light, AND put one of those on...

I dig all the Baja Designs stuff, but some of it is REALLY pricey. I know it's all quality stuff though, but I can't bring myself to pay $500 for a light ;(...do they have a lifetime warranty on all products or what?

• lhark

Posted October 22, 2006 - 06:39 AM

I've used the Cyclops, and the DHH series of Acerbis, with good luck so far.
These have been used on XR600R, XR650L, and RMX 250. The DHH's aren't as good as the Cyclops, no doubt. I have a friend using the Diamond series on a CR150, and he really likes it......JOGO (just one guy's opinion)

• cleonard

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:42 AM

Have you tried a higher wattage bulb? You will need to rewind the stator on the 400 to go much above 55 watts. I have a 90/110 watt H4 on my XR600 and it puts out a lot more light than a normal 55/65 watt bulb. You can never have too much light so I'm planning on adding a couple of 20 to 35 watt MR11 or MR16 bulbs to throw some more light around. While I have never used one, the helmet light must be the best. With a helmet light the light goes where you are looking. That's my biggest problem with the regular headlight. When I come up to a turn, the light is not pointing where I'll be going.

I have an Acerbis DOT headlingt and it's been working for 6 years of riding almost every weekend.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.