put in wrong heat plug, should I worry

4 replies to this topic
  • BLUEDUDE

Posted October 20, 2006 - 03:27 PM

the plug on my 426 died today, and I accidently replaced it with my dad KFX 400 spark plug, a NGK CR7E. I noticed this after I started it up and took it up and down the street. the stock spark plug for the 426 is a NGK CR8E, one heat rating higer( I guess). should I worry about this. will it hurt the engine.

• Fastest1

Posted October 20, 2006 - 05:10 PM

It shouldnt hurt anything, it mostly refers to keeping the plug clean. It might foul earlier or not but it wont hurt the engine or make it run hotter or cooler.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted October 20, 2006 - 05:31 PM

For the price of a spark plug.. I would change it up soon as you get the chance. I doubt it will hurt the engine though..

• grapeape

Posted October 20, 2006 - 05:43 PM

the 7 is hotter than the 8, but I can't say what is going to happen either.

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2006 - 09:28 PM

What could happen in a four-stroke is that the plug may get hot enough to become a source of pre-ignition, which can lead to detonation and possible engine damage if serious enough. I'd change it as soon as feasible.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.