Anyone have the MXA '06 suspension settings?

9 replies to this topic
  • bashn

Posted October 20, 2006 - 11:18 AM

Hey everybody! I just bought a new 2006 YZ450F SE. I've searched for and couldn't find any references to the MXA recommended suspension settings. I found a few recommendations, but they vary so wildly I don't know where to start. Here's what I have so far:

Fork Comp 14
Fork Rebound 8
Shock LSC 12
Shock HSC 2.0
Shock Rebound 8
Forks raised to mark
Race Sag 105mm

Also, just ordered a D755 front and D952 rear tire and the trick looking Works Connection radiator cages. I've been out to the track only once, but I can already tell this bike is a keeper!:devil:

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2006 - 12:18 PM

The recommendations that I remember were:

Raise the bars 10mm
Raise the forks to the mark
Set the sag to 97mm

Compression and rebound will vary considerably with the specific soil conditions, track layout, and riding style.

The bike is very sensitive to head angle changes (sag and fork height), so it makes a surprising difference, especially at the front end.

• lastchild

Posted October 20, 2006 - 03:53 PM

Raising the bars...is the best fix for this bar risers or getting taller bars?
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other?

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2006 - 09:23 PM

Taller bars are more mechanically sound than risers. The Reed/Henry bend is around 9-10mm taller, and the Windham/RM Mid bend is 14mm taller. My 6'2" son likes them a lot. On the '06, they're OK for me (I'm 5'10"), but I think that I would rather have the Henry bars.

• bashn

Posted October 21, 2006 - 07:18 AM

I was going to try the RC bend until you mentioned the Henry/Reed. The Henry/Reed is 15mm taller than the RC and I'm 6'0". I like bars on the taller side. Anything wrong with ProTaper contours, or should I spend more and get EA-70 grade?

Thx,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • urla

Posted October 21, 2006 - 09:43 AM

C/R Front:
MXA 10/9 (average)
My (on hardpack) 11/8
My (on sand) 10/7

LSC/R/HSC Rear:
MXA 8/8 1- ¼ (sag 98mm)
My (on hardpack) 8/10 1-¼ (sag 98mm)
My (on sand) 7/5 1-¼ (sag 98mm)

Stock suspension (2006) , rider 90kg intermediate

• tmauto69

Posted October 21, 2006 - 09:59 AM

The rebound adjusters on my '06 don't seem to do jack until I get about 5 or 6 turns out from full. It wants to pogo stick at every setting past 6.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 21, 2006 - 01:08 PM

The rebound adjusters on my '06 don't seem to do jack until I get about 5 or 6 turns out from full. It wants to pogo stick at every setting past 6.

Well that is because you are decreasing the rebound dampning each click out from full in, from H to S...that is what is supposed to happen

• Budlite

Posted October 21, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Well that is because you are decreasing the rebound dampning each click out from full in, from H to S...that is what is supposed to happen

I think you missed the point. We also found the forks to be under damped on the rebound. With the stock valving and spring, we had to run them at 4 clicks out to get them to slow down enough. Not good. The Shock was the same way but not quite as much. Our test conclusions were verified by a number of local riders and a suspension shop. Needless to say, they didn't stay that way very long. And before you ask, yes, we gave it ample time to break in. Three rides a week for 3 weeks is plenty.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 22, 2006 - 05:51 AM

I think you missed the point. We also found the forks to be under damped on the rebound. With the stock valving and spring, we had to run them at 4 clicks out to get them to slow down enough. Not good. The Shock was the same way but not quite as much. Our test conclusions were verified by a number of local riders and a suspension shop. Needless to say, they didn't stay that way very long. And before you ask, yes, we gave it ample time to break in. Three rides a week for 3 weeks is plenty.

I understand your point.....you don't like riding a pogo stick!
I also revalved mine also and swapped springs...:mad:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.