1982 Yamaha TT 250

12 replies to this topic
  • travis-260

Posted October 20, 2006 - 06:01 AM

I am thinking about buying a 82 TT 250 from a guy at work. Is there a good source for parts new and used. The bike runs but smokes so it probably needs the top end redone, it also needs a new front brake purch and rear fender and a seat. I get alot of parts from ebay for my other bikes, but with the season ending there are not many parts on ebay so its hard to get a feel of how many tt parts are out there.
Thanks
Travis

• slowthump

Posted October 20, 2006 - 09:32 AM

I have a 1980 tt 250 which is basically the same bike you are looking at. Quite a few items are available from yamaha but there are discontinued items as well. Check out bike bandit dot com or motogrid dot com for parts lists/diagrams and availability. I know you can get fenders, brake and clutch perch, pistons, valves and carb parts. I have bought quite a few items on ebay as well. When searching, also look at 80 - 82 xt models because they share a lot of parts. I bought (on ebay) the service manuals and parts diagrams for both xt and tt models to compare when shopping.

I have my tt running perfectly and ride it frequently on tight woods singletrack. It is more than enough bike for me and I love it. I get a lot of comments from late model riders when they see me on the trails. The suspension is quite soft and the engine has loads of torque. The engine is very durable and will last dang near forever with propper care. Contact me if you need more info.

• iscoutit

Posted August 15, 2007 - 11:38 AM

I need a 1981 tt 250 exhaust any suggestions. Aftermarket is fine also.

• martinfan30

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:39 PM

sorry to hijack travis but this may help us both. i have an xt250 1980. it locksup at certain points in the revolution. doesnt run. is there a common weakpoint like cam chain or something that fails on these engines.??

• maim

Posted August 15, 2007 - 03:19 PM

for the smoing tt, check that the valves are closing properly with a compression tester. buddy had one that a small chunk of steel welded itself to the exhaust valve and would hold it open just enought that the oil would seal it. you could ride it for 1hr before it would run out of oil.

as to the one that locks up, sounds like there is a shim/part in the wrong spot in the bottom end. was it apart recently?

• martinfan30

Posted August 16, 2007 - 11:00 AM

for the smoing tt, check that the valves are closing properly with a compression tester. buddy had one that a small chunk of steel welded itself to the exhaust valve and would hold it open just enought that the oil would seal it. you could ride it for 1hr before it would run out of oil.

as to the one that locks up, sounds like there is a shim/part in the wrong spot in the bottom end. was it apart recently?

dont think so, but not sure. just got it out of a storage unit auction.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zrxer

Posted August 16, 2007 - 12:04 PM

Martinfan, are you turning the engine over with a wrench on the flywheel? You turn it over so far one way then it stops, then turn it back the other and stops again? If that's what you're doing, it could be rust in the cylinder or maybe a valve stuck open.

• martinfan30

Posted August 17, 2007 - 10:50 AM

no kicking it. it wont go 1 revolution either direction. i just wondered if there were any common failures with these mills.

• wfsdno

Posted August 19, 2007 - 08:16 AM

Have you tried removing the spark plug when rotating? Maybe someone put in too long of a plug?

Roger

• martinfan30

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:36 AM

Have you tried removing the spark plug when rotating? Maybe someone put in too long of a plug?

Roger

yes. im really inclined to think the chain is broke. just havent been able to pull the top end yet.

• fishpost19

Posted September 07, 2007 - 03:54 AM

When sourcing an exhaust valve rocker when mine snapped I heard that this is a common problem. The arm that opens the exhaust snaps. The intake valve should be alright because it is kept cooler than the exhaust by fuel/air mixture. Just something to look out for, otherwise, these bikes are great for their age.

• marcelogilli

Posted September 08, 2007 - 04:50 PM

Hi, I'm from Argentina, I have a TT225S 1986, and i don't have the specifications, i don`t know what kind of oil has the front fork???, sorry, my english is not good!! Thanks!:ride: :thumbsup:

• glennstucker

Posted June 02, 2011 - 06:34 AM

is there eny way i can get the valve ajustment i cant find the service manual enywere for my 82 yamaha tt250s

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.