Got my Clarke tank, got a few questions.

12 replies to this topic
  • Boston Mangler

Posted October 20, 2006 - 05:47 AM

Hey Guys

My 4.7g tank arrived for my L yesterday.

First question, what is the best method for cleaning it out?? There is a bunch of plastic debris in there.

Second question, how tight should the petcock adapter be? It was hand tight when i got it and i want to tighten it some, but dont want to pull the nutserts out.

Third question, there was a thin metal rod (about 6-7" long) inside the tank that looks like it connects to the screws on the bottom side of the tank. Is this right? It appears my tank has to be squeezed a decent amount to get this to fit.

As you can guess, there were no instructions!

Thanks

• TARFELE

Posted October 20, 2006 - 08:38 AM

I have had 2 Clarke 4.7 tanks and they are great. Here is my experience.

Use Locktite on the petcock and don't worry about it being so tight that your hand hurts just snug it really good. As far as the debris. I filled mine with water and flushed it two or three times then I blew it out with compressed air.

The rod is for support, it crosses across the front of the tank but it is really cheap. I cut it in half and the attach it to the old shroud bolts that are in front.

Good luck

• pigryder

Posted October 20, 2006 - 09:09 AM

I washed mine out with brake clean, it evaporates really well, tank fit great and Im really happy

• COAL RUN

Posted October 20, 2006 - 09:31 AM

As for the support rod. I took a piece of 1/2 x 1/8" thick steel put a twist in the in the center so it aligns with original "wing mounts" & bolted it place. This for a very solid mount. The tank actully moved enough for the petcock to touch the cooling finns before i did this.

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 20, 2006 - 09:51 AM

Man I must have been a luck Clarke owner asa I just got my 4.7 and it was super clean and ready to use. I just had to install my petcock, mount the tank, mount the little brace and wallah!!!!
Bill

• R1-xr650-400

Posted October 20, 2006 - 05:42 PM

yeah, didn't have any problem with mine either. The little bar at the bottom doesn't seem to do much, but then again, I didn't try any of the custom setups that the people above spoke of. I've dropped the pig tons of times, and although the tank does move around a bit, I haven't had a problems.

I just rinsed mine out with gasoline, but it didn't look like it had anything in it anyway...I just did it to be safe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • justicedone

Posted October 20, 2006 - 06:09 PM

I kinda feel safer when things have a lil movemtnt for offroading, your less likely to damage a nutted insert bashing some rocks, or breaking controls and levers if they can move a bit.

• R1-xr650-400

Posted October 20, 2006 - 06:16 PM

I kinda feel safer when things have a lil movemtnt for offroading, your less likely to damage a nutted insert bashing some rocks, or breaking controls and levers if they can move a bit.

my sentiments exactly.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 23, 2006 - 04:37 AM

Got a few more questions.

1-It appears that on the right side of the tank quite a bit of fuel could be trapped with no way to get over to the petcock side. Is this fixed by leaning the bike over??

2-What range are you guys getting with the 4.7g? Right now (in stock form) i am looking at about 220miles. What are the modified guys getting?

3-What is the big piece of foam for that came with it??

4-Finally, is anyone running this with a Corbin seat? Does it fit?

Thanks

• goblin127

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:35 AM

Got a few more questions.

1-It appears that on the right side of the tank quite a bit of fuel could be trapped with no way to get over to the petcock side. Is this fixed by leaning the bike over??

2-What range are you guys getting with the 4.7g? Right now (in stock form) i am looking at about 220miles. What are the modified guys getting?

3-What is the big piece of foam for that came with it??

4-Finally, is anyone running this with a Corbin seat? Does it fit?

Thanks

While I have the 4gl clarke I would asume that like mine the foam is fore the backbone of the frame where the tank fits over it.(runs up inside the channel of the tank) Yes fuel does get stuck on one side and leaning it over helps get it over the hump. My 4.0 fits with a corbin seat I can't immagine why a 4.7 would not. I think I have been getting about 155mi. out of my 4.0 Moded with the mikuni flatslide carb and XRs only full exaust system.

• COAL RUN

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:35 AM

With the clark 4.0 I hit res. at 112 mi. mostly off road, Mods are white bros. e2 exaust, rejetted, uni filter, de-snorked. There is a good bit of gas that trapped on the one side of the tank. leaning the bike over will get it on the petcock side

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 23, 2006 - 04:25 PM

With the clark 4.0 I hit res. at 112 mi. mostly off road, Mods are white bros. e2 exaust, rejetted, uni filter, de-snorked. There is a good bit of gas that trapped on the one side of the tank. leaning the bike over will get it on the petcock side

Wow, your only getting 28mpg's?

Also, thanks for the info guys! It should be installed this weekend! Woo Hoo!

• goblin127

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I got to I think 156mi. Running the mikuni last time I ran out of gas.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.