YZ 450f blown hwad gasket ?'s

6 replies to this topic
  • lh_bandit

Posted October 19, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Hey my roomate just bought a 02 yz 450 and discovered that the head gasket is leaking. He wants to take it to the shop to get it fixed, but I told him that we could probably do it our selves with a little advise from thumper talk. Anyone got any steps we can fallow or just a little advise? Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2006 - 08:13 AM

Either it's a YZ450, or it's an '02, but it can't be both. 2000-02 were 426's, and '03 and up are 450's.

There are no "easy" steps. The procedure is in the manual. Got one?

• Zique

Posted October 20, 2006 - 02:25 PM

I have a step-by-step program for you!

Step #1:
426 Owners Manual

Step #2:
Read

Step #3:
Read again

Step #4:
Attempt safely while keeping your sources (Manual and TT) close. Don't do anything your not sure of.

Step #5:
If it worked, admire. If it didn't, take it to a professional.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zique

Posted October 20, 2006 - 02:29 PM

How does he know it's leaking (out of curiousity)?

• lh_bandit

Posted October 23, 2006 - 09:38 PM

I have a step-by-step program for you!

Step #1:
426 Owners Manual

Step #2:
Read

Step #3:
Read again

Step #4:
Attempt safely while keeping your sources (Manual and TT) close. Do do anything your not sure of.

Step #5:
If it worked, admire. If it didn't, take it to a professional.

HAHA!:mad:

• lh_bandit

Posted October 23, 2006 - 09:41 PM

Well there's oil leaking out from around the gasket. He nor I are all that expereinced with complex bike repair so I just wanted to see what yall thought. Thanks for the online manual we're gonna need it. Thanks for all the advise guys.

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2006 - 07:47 AM

Well there's oil leaking out from around the gasket.

Specifically, what area of the head doe the oil show up? And, is ths the gasket between the head and the cylinder, or the head and the cam cover?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.