Keeping bike looking new

10 replies to this topic
  • Indiana

Posted October 19, 2006 - 12:30 PM

How do you guys keep you bike looking good? I like for my bike to be fairly clean looking and one thing that bugs me is the paint on the frame and covers which is constantly worn off. Does anyone have any ways of keeping it fresh looking for more that one ride? Also which graphix kits seem to hold up the best?

• Wyatt

Posted October 19, 2006 - 12:42 PM

The only way to keep your bike from wearing is to not ride it.

I keep my bikes clean....very clean. But, I can wear the paint from a frame and sratch an airbox up in a few rides. As far as the clutch cover, I strip the paint and leave it raw. That way it is all raw and no big worn spot where the paint is gone.

Frame guards are junk IMO. They are protecting what?....a little paint? If you keeps your bikes looking clean and nice, wear marks in a few spots won't make it look bad at all.

I always think that stock graphics hold up better than any others I have tried.

• spinyard

Posted October 19, 2006 - 01:00 PM

one answer to this question,

sc-1 by maxima......

the best stuff ever

• Indiana

Posted October 19, 2006 - 01:22 PM

OK I'm ignorant. What's sc-1 by maxima.

Wyatt, I agree that the stock graphics always seen to look best to me. I like the idea of stripping the clutch cover

• Ga426owner

Posted October 19, 2006 - 01:36 PM

OK I'm ignorant. What's sc-1 by maxima.

Wyatt, I agree that the stock graphics always seen to look best to me. I like the idea of stripping the clutch cover

Wyatt is the man when it comes to polishing and bling....:devil:

I assume you are on a pre 06...with a blue frame....not much you can do about the frame paint...except powder coating or reapply touch-up paint. I tried everything to cover those areas...just nothing worked well for more than a ride or two...I think they look better with the worn look anyway....Graphics - I agree the stocker looks the best to me too.....Ceet has the 03-05 GYTR team graphics - which I prefer on my 03 with a backup set on my shelf....the radiator shrouds can be saved by adding NStyles clear precut 3M over the the graphics....(not the tank)
I also use AIM SuperGloss.....to make em shiny....smells cool too:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted October 19, 2006 - 03:19 PM

Sc1 is something like silicon spray. Overpriced silicon spray. However, once you spray it , your hooked. Smells like a dirtbikers perfume. Really, really good stuff. I use it in the cars as well.

I think wyatt is right on about the frame guards. I have some of the lightspeed carbon guards. They look great until you use them. Now you have frame guards, scratched, protecting what???

Its easy with the aluminum frames to keep them nice looking. Use scotchbrite to clean off the black marks.

I kept a can of pj1 frame paint around for my 97. Use it with a q tip to fill in the small dings. It matches perfectly.

Spens EXTRA time on your wheels. Clean spokes, wheels and hubs make any bike look good and well taken care of.

• norcal_hoss

Posted October 19, 2006 - 04:32 PM

one answer to this question,

sc-1 by maxima......

the best stuff ever

I agree this stuff works great so does Motul silicone glow.. Factories have been using this stuff for years, I use it after I wash my bike then i take air hose blow all the sitting water out and spray it with one of the two sprays.Works great

• Yamaguy4Life

Posted October 20, 2006 - 04:24 AM

As soon as I get a new bike I load it up with frame guards and anything else that I can to protect the bike.

On this bike I added Stomp pads. They seem to work pretty well once you tie-wrap them on. http://www.stompdesign.com

When I'm done riding I just pressure wash it (at the car wash, their pressure is higher) and then I wipe it clean with WD-40 and then Armor All. (but never get Armor All on the tires, makes them soft and they fall apart really quick)

Keeps it looking like brand new.

I also put duct tape and electrical tape around the edges of my graphics. Keeps the dirt out and stops the pressure washer from lifting the edge. Once the edge curls and dirt gets under the graphics, they're done.

Works for me.

• hi everybody

Posted October 20, 2006 - 12:37 PM

so wait..whats the deal with the SC-1? do you spray it on after you wash your bike, to like protect the bike during use? also, do you spray just the plastics...or what else?

• felix 222

Posted October 20, 2006 - 04:30 PM

after riding, i spray simple green on teh bike and let it sit for about 10 minutes. then i take a high pressure washer and wash it down. if you don't already have a pressure washer, i recommend one but becareful not to spray the bike too hard.

http://img213.images...59940141sm1.jpg

• gbalias

Posted October 20, 2006 - 05:24 PM

303 Aerospace protectant.

the best stuff....period.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.