44 replies to this topic
  • Brent McCabe

Posted October 19, 2006 - 12:03 PM

I'm very new to mx'in and have as my first bike a 2006 WR450 with all the "free" mod's and about $500 worth of other mods made to my bike (thanks to all the information I have pulled-off of this awesome web site). My question is this (and I'm sorry if this has already been asked, I couldn't find it)
I watch people where I ride in the desert and they don't seem to have any trouble getting the front-end up, while in motion. I have tried gunning the throttle, popping the clutch, and all that happens is my back tire spins-out. Even at a dead stop on concrete, the back tire mostly spins! I have scooted my fanny as far back on the seat as I can and that helps a little. Any advice one of you experianced rider's could give a "rookie" would be greatly appreciated.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 19, 2006 - 02:29 PM

if the back tire spins out, try getting a new one. I though I was going to die with that stock rear tire. The only thing sticking was the sh!t to my pants! It was all over the place. (I thought the stock front tire was even more slippery)

A better rear tire will hook up better and that front end will definitely come up when you lean back a little and gas it. Caution: if you get a better tire, DO NOT sit on concrete, gun the throttle and dump the clutch. (If you do, be sure to tape it so we all can see :devil:)

Also, getting good traction on concrete is not a good criteria for selecting a new rear tire. I

I'm no expert, but this is my opinion.

• SteveWR450F

Posted October 19, 2006 - 02:42 PM

Its important he learns how to compress the front forks and then roll on the throttle as the shocks rebound. Easiest way for me to get a wheelie going without being too hard on the trani like popping the clutch.

But . . the WR is not a wheelie machine. It definately can be done but there are a lot better bikes with lighter front ends . . .

• NavyNuke

Posted October 19, 2006 - 02:48 PM

just pump your legs down right before a wheelie, then give it gas as your legs hit the bottom of your pump. the suspension will help kick it up for you.

• MountainMax

Posted October 19, 2006 - 04:25 PM

how much do you weigh? I can wheelie mine on sand, pavement in any gear i like right up to 5'th gear (not including 5'th) just by rolling the throttle, i guess im heavy enough to get good traction.

• Flyman28

Posted October 20, 2006 - 11:55 AM

R U kidding me... Every time I even think about wheeling it had already happened. The WR IS a wheelie machine. I agree alot of lighter front end bikes out there than the WR but the WR also TONS OF TORQUE. If your not able to wheelie your WR then maybe you should take the throttle stop out, cause that's the only thing that would limit it from coming up!

• Majesticman

Posted October 22, 2006 - 03:56 PM

Start eating Quarter Pounders with Cheese 3 time a day like me and you can't help but wheelie. :mad:

• MountainMax

Posted October 22, 2006 - 07:03 PM

he still never answered me, HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH?? dont expect help here if you can't answer simple questions like this as it's very pertinant to the discussion.......

• Brent McCabe

Posted October 26, 2006 - 06:45 AM

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I had a slight "accident" on my bike and haven't been able to get to my computer. I weigh 200 lbs and am 5'10". Thank you for your advice

• velosapiens

Posted October 26, 2006 - 07:00 AM

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I had a slight "accident" on my bike and haven't been able to get to my computer.

your 'first bike' is a wr450??? i'm not surprised about the accident or about the lack of wheelies. that's a bigass bike to try to learn on, and it's very common to get hurt and discouraged when learning on something with that much power and weight.

in general, you want to lean back and get more weight on the back tire for better traction, then the front wheel will typically come up pretty easily, especially if you're facing up hill, or coming over a slight rise. the problem is, it's natural for a newbie to lean the other way, out of a well-grounded fear of going over backwards (looping). i have that problem if i try to do wheelies on my bandit 1200 streetbike, so i just gave up and worried about having fun off-road, where tipovers are cheaper.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted October 26, 2006 - 07:21 AM

youre definately heavy enough for traction. Did you try to do wheelies on dry pavement? the bike can/will do this

• Majesticman

Posted October 26, 2006 - 08:41 AM

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I had a slight "accident" on my bike and haven't been able to get to my computer. I weigh 200 lbs and am 5'10". Thank you for your advice

During a wheelie?

• Brent McCabe

Posted October 26, 2006 - 10:59 AM

Yes, on pavement it wheelie's just fine. Even though the front-end comes up, the back tire still spins a little.

• hartzpad

Posted October 26, 2006 - 11:18 AM

My WR426 wheelies great in 2nd gear and 3rd gear but 4th gear can be a little tough to get the front end up. I have all the free mods and my bike is plated (street-legal) w/ 13/47 gearing. Best place to learn to wheelie is on the street (in a safe area) up a steep hill. I wheelie best sitting down instead of standing on the pegs. Best thing about the WR motor is the great overrev that it gives you compared to other bikes. You can literally carry it in each gear until just over 12k rpm or whatever the redline is, that is, until you learn to ship gears while holding a wheelie.

• MountainMax

Posted October 26, 2006 - 03:08 PM

I found the Yz muffler and Yz timing made mine wheelie Way better then stock, even with free mods 4'th gear wheelies were hard, now they are easy. I find it hard to beleive youre spinning on pavement while trying to wheelie? what are you using for a tire?

• MojaveThumper

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:24 PM

I am about your size and the front end up comes up all the time in the sand. If I am anywhere but up on the tank of this beast the front is coming up. Try bouncin' the front as suggested. Just a little timing with the rebound and throttle control.

Becareful out there cause when she comes up, WOW, you can be passed 12 o'clock quick/

• Fullbore4

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:11 PM

If you are just trying to get the front wheel up, like the others said, its just timing. Try punching it when the front tire hits a little bump.

If you are trying to perfect wheelieing, always wear all protective gear and stay on dirt. It hurts less. Odds are while learning to stay on the rear wheel, you WILL go over a time or two.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 27, 2006 - 07:01 AM

There's not need to instruct Brent on the fine art of wheelies. He's a little banged up right now. Maybe two wheels on the ground is the best way to go?

• Brent McCabe

Posted October 27, 2006 - 08:07 AM

No, during a jump. It was about 4 feet high and had a shear-drop down the other side. I thought it sloped down the other side. I (and my bike) did a nose dive at about 10mph, straight down. The bike landed on me, broke my ankle, dislocated my knee, and bruised my shoulder bone.

• Brent McCabe

Posted October 27, 2006 - 08:10 AM

It's a stock tire (Dunlop) that came with the bike. I don't see the back tire spin on the concrete, however, I see the dark tire track it leaves behind, which I assumed to be the back tire spinning-free

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.