Question about removable baffle on '06 WR450F

12 replies to this topic
  • Meltz

Posted October 19, 2006 - 11:24 AM

This thing comes out very easily. Does that eliminate the need for an aftermarket silencer such as the Q2? Does removing the baffle make the stock exhaust even close to an aftermerket in terms of increased performance?

• MNMike

Posted October 19, 2006 - 11:41 AM

This thing comes out very easily. Does that eliminate the need for an aftermarket silencer such as the Q2? Does it make the stock exhaust even close?

Apparently, the 450 suffers from the same neutering that the 250 undergoes to pass inspection and get imported.

Check out www.thumperfaq.com for all the 250 info. It's more complete than what has been collected on the 450, but most is probably applicable.

You can take the baffle out of the stock silencer, but it will be LOUD. Buy a GYT-R insert for the least expensive, best of both worlds.

• Meltz

Posted October 19, 2006 - 11:54 AM

Actually, I already removed the baffle from the 450 silencer. It's not even as loud as my 250 with the Q2 pipe on it. Am I using the wrong terminology? Maybe it's not the baffle. If you remove the 6 allen screws from the tip of the exhaust, there's the piece held in (along with the spark arrester) by 4 additional allen screws. I removed that piece, then reinstalled the spark arrester. The volume increased minimally.

• Cairn

Posted October 19, 2006 - 01:09 PM

This thing comes out very easily. Does that eliminate the need for an aftermarket silencer such as the Q2? Does it make the stock exhaust even close?

Meltz:

You may want to reword your questions so that it's possible to understand what you want to know. Removing the baffle opens up the flow and increases the noise. An aftermarket silencer will provide better flow than the baffle and will produce less noise, so that you can meet Forest Service requirements. Is the stock exhaust even close to what?:devil:

Cairn

• Meltz

Posted October 19, 2006 - 01:27 PM

Thank you. <edited ititial post> Didn't quite get everything from my brain to the keyboard, did I?

However, after removing what I think is the baffle from the '06 WR450, it's still quieter than my WR250 with the Q2.

• smokinsingle

Posted October 19, 2006 - 01:42 PM

Packing density and volume

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 19, 2006 - 02:22 PM

I have an 05 wr450. I had a really nice pipe on it (FMF Factory 4 with powerbomb header) Last week, I put the stock piple back on and replaced the insert with pmb insert. Its a lot quieter. There is a little drop off in power, but you'd have to really be trying to notice it. I forgot all about that after about 3 mins.

I would say that there is a small difference, but its not enough to justify the big bucks for an aftermarket pipe. That pmb insert is only $60. I'm not that good where another 2 or 3 hp will make a difference. Maybe later, but not now.

knowing what I know now, I would consider trying the $60 insert before the $350-$500 exhaust.

• A-ron

Posted October 19, 2006 - 03:39 PM

Am I using the wrong terminology? Maybe it's not the baffle. If you remove the 6 allen screws from the tip of the exhaust, there's the piece held in (along with the spark arrester) by 4 additional allen screws. I removed that piece, then reinstalled the spark arrester. The volume increased minimally.

What you removed is the stock tail pipe insert. There are two baffles that are located inside of the main section of the muffler that you can remove by doing some surgery...they don't come out nearly as easily as the tail pipe insert. Some TT'er has diagramed the entire pipe, do a search for pipe mods and you should be able to find it.

• MountainMax

Posted October 19, 2006 - 04:28 PM

Removing the tailpipe as you did, is similar to putting in the PMB insert which is a larger tailpipe, the baffle you want to remove is right in front of that inside, it takes some cutting and pounding to get out but it sounds great after doing so.

• LimyWPom

Posted October 20, 2006 - 05:09 PM

MountainMax, how much louder would you say your bike is now with the inner baffle removed? I don't mind some increase but I'd rather it not too loud. Also was there a noticable power gain, thanks

• Fullbore4

Posted October 20, 2006 - 06:17 PM

It seems that the old 2 stroke 250's and smaller really benefitted from aftermarket pipes but my experience with putting pipes on a 2000 wr400 and a 06 wr450 did not increase performance much.......With my Q2 on my 450 I get a little more low end.

• MountainMax

Posted October 21, 2006 - 02:49 PM

It's noticibly louder, check out the video below

http://s59.photobuck...=RobAndRyan.flv

• WR_Dave

Posted October 22, 2006 - 06:13 AM

Maybe this will help http://www.thumperta...d Stock Muffler This exact mod and a few variations of it have been done on my friends bikes and the bike will be very loud with the entire guts removed and only slightly louder but more responsive with the tailpipe mod and a 40 mm hole in the rear baffle ( cut with a hole saw on a long arbour ) This mod is for us cheap Ba$#rds and not for those willing to argue endlessly about the virtues of all the aftermarket pipes out there. WR Dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.