Suspension Advice- 86 XRR

10 replies to this topic
  • jpoore

Posted October 19, 2006 - 10:36 AM

Bought this good running, DS registered bike for $450, so I don't want to spend too much $ on it...

What should I do about the front suspension? I need to respring it (I'm 270 lbs). I figured while there to do a cart emulator and rebuild. So should I do this or try to find some cart forks? They would still need to be rebuilt/resprung and $100 is the minimum I'd expect to find forks for (hella ebay deals still have shipping costs). So it looks a like a minimum comparable cost, plus I don't have to worry bout tripple clamps, wheels, axles, etc. Are cart forks worth it?

JP

• cleonard

Posted October 19, 2006 - 10:53 AM

First welcome to Thumpertalk. This is a great place to find out about your bike.

A good running plated XR600 for $450 in California, wow you really scored. I think you just made $500 to $1000.

I've never tried the cartridge emulators, but I would imagine that they don't work as well as the actual cartridge forks. Since you will be spending about the same, I'd say go for the cartridge forks.

I can tell you that the cartridge forks in the later XR600's are a tremendous improvement when compared to the older damper rod forks. That high speed compression really saves your wrists when you hit something at speed.

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 19, 2006 - 11:51 AM

No doubt a nice score for DS conversion! Here in this state you no longer can do the conversion. They look at the original vin and see what the bike was intended for "Off-Road" is no-longer able to convert over. DMV says DOT and EPA standards are not met even with all the safety conversion kits. So you got yourself a deal. I would look into the USD conversion for that bike.
Bill

• creeky

Posted October 19, 2006 - 02:33 PM

. I would look into the USD conversion for that bike.
Bill

Ditto!

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 19, 2006 - 03:08 PM

Depending on what youre going to do with the bike, the USD fork isnt as pliant or nice as the 43mm Showa. Hell, Ive been trying for about 4 years now to the 47mm TC showa on my CRF to work as nice as the 43mm Showa on my 88 CR500. For trail and off road, its tough to beat that fork. Even Scott Summers was running a RSU (XR650) fork on the CRF that he races off road.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted October 19, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Welcome!!! go for the cartridge forks.

• jpoore

Posted October 19, 2006 - 07:55 PM

O.K. so 91+ 600R forks will bolt right into my triple clamps? I'll keep my eyes open for a set.

• Rideaide

Posted October 20, 2006 - 11:20 AM

Try using the Race Tech Emulators and .47kg fork springs or even Progressive fork springs. This cost about $250.00.:devil: The complete forks will cost between $800.00-$1000.00 :thumbsdn: unless you can find a deal like you did on the 86.:thumbsdn:

• cleonard

Posted October 20, 2006 - 11:33 AM

Try using the Race Tech Emulators and .47kg fork springs or even Progressive fork springs. This cost about $250.00.:devil: The complete forks will cost between $800.00-$1000.00 :thumbsdn: unless you can find a deal like you did on the 86.:thumbsdn:

You can do a lot better than that. Here is a ebay auction from a few weeks ago where a set went for $75 + 40 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 20, 2006 - 12:26 PM

A set of 90 CR250 forks and tripple USD will bolt right on. Thats what Id look for.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 20, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Man, I'll never understand the facination with the USD fork. Especially that one.

Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.