1990 XR600 as parts bike for 92 XR600?

6 replies to this topic
  • michaelschorpp

Posted October 19, 2006 - 12:52 AM

I have the opportunity to pickup a 90 XR600 cheap. My intention would be to use it as a parts bike for my 92 XR600. Aside from the front suspension, what else is different?

Mike

• Leget

Posted October 19, 2006 - 01:00 AM

The '90 has a drum rear brake....different swingarm....and the frame has a bracket for the rear master cylinder.

Would you be interested in selling some parts off that '90 model?

Here's what I'm looking for (just in case)...

Rear shock & linkage

Exhaust

Footpegs

• Terez

Posted October 19, 2006 - 05:28 AM

I have a 90 XR600R and have found a few differences between the 88 to 90 bikes and the 91 and newer.

The forks
The rear drum brake and swingarm
Front sprockets
Airbox
Carb specs
Stator
Cylinder
Exhaust system

I'm sure there are a few more I haven't found yet.

Most if not all the newer spec stuff can be retrofitted onto older bikes and vice/versa but specific part for part swapping is a problem.

What parts were you planning to salvage from the 90 for your bike?
I have read that the pre 91 XR600R motor is a little more powerful.
The aprox 88 to 90 bikes had nicasil cylinders, stainless headpipes and the twin pipes went all the way to the muffler.
The 88 to 90 had a slightly different airbox and richer carb specs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sorenlaf

Posted October 19, 2006 - 07:49 AM

I have a 90 XR600R and have found a few differences between the 88 to 90 bikes and the 91 and newer.

The forks
The rear drum brake and swingarm
Front sprockets
Airbox
Carb specs
Stator
Cylinder
Exhaust system

I'm sure there are a few more I haven't found yet.

Most if not all the newer spec stuff can be retrofitted onto older bikes and vice/versa but specific part for part swapping is a problem.

What parts were you planning to salvage from the 90 for your bike?
I have read that the pre 91 XR600R motor is a little more powerful.
The aprox 88 to 90 bikes had nicasil cylinders, stainless headpipes and the twin pipes went all the way to the muffler.
The 88 to 90 had a slightly different airbox and richer carb specs.

Dang.

Wonder just what I have.

'89 paperwork.

disk rear.

pretty sure there's rebound adjust on the forks (bike is still in the boxes it arrived in)

can't remember about the pipe/muffler.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 19, 2006 - 08:14 AM

Dang.

Wonder just what I have.

'89 paperwork.

disk rear.

pretty sure there's rebound adjust on the forks (bike is still in the boxes it arrived in)

can't remember about the pipe/muffler.

91 was the first year of cartridge forks, and rear disc as far as I know. Almost everything is interchangeable other than the rear brakes. Now, does the doner bike have dual or single carb?

• cleonard

Posted October 19, 2006 - 10:57 AM

It was said that the stator is different. While that it true, the 90 stator is still useable in the 92.

• Terez

Posted October 19, 2006 - 11:07 AM

Yep, the stator from the earlier bikes is usable, they are single wire where the later ones are 2 wire.
They will either mount up ok, you will need to ground differently though.

Your paperwork is off for sure then.
If the bike has a disc rear brake then the swingarm and rear wheel and brake are 91 or later.
If the forks have rebound adjustment then they are also 91 or later.
As for the rest of it...who knows?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.