Worried about 06 power??

16 replies to this topic
  • metalmulisha

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hey guys seriously lookin into an 06 from my 99 YZ400F but have heard that the new bikes are a soft power and that the older bikes have just as much stick, anybody got an opinion or has made the leap of faith:worthy:
thanks alot guys (really excited that i may be a new 06 owner soon)

• Vibeguy

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:16 PM

I went from a 2002 Y426F to the 2006 YZ 450F and the power is much more deceptive. As where the 426 "thumped" along the 06, 450 power is almost electric it's so smooth.

To me you can't even compare the two bikes. The 06, 450 is a magic carpet ride: light, fast and smooth.

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:18 PM

THE SKY IS FALLING! :devil:

Well, somebody said it was.

Look, I have an '03 YZ450, and if you think your 400 hits hard....

I also have an '06 YZ450 that my son occasionally lets me ride. Given the choice, I'll take the '06. It feels softer, true, but it's one of the all time greatest illusions of the last two centuries. The bike runs side by side with the '03, but the handling and suspension are ten years ahead of it.

• TapptOut

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:52 PM

I think the bike has plenty of power. Unless your a pro can you really use all the power a 450 has anyways?

• SUnruh

Posted October 18, 2006 - 03:39 PM

Unless your a pro can you really use all the power a 450 has
anyways?

sure i can!!!

and then i wake up from the dream and go -> ah man i'm just a squid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2006 - 04:05 PM

Oh, I can use it all, just not in as many places as the pros can.

• Reyndogg

Posted October 18, 2006 - 04:06 PM

Oh, I can use it all, just not in as many places as the pros can.

Well said :devil:

• motobark

Posted October 18, 2006 - 04:17 PM

Ok, here's my 2 cents worth...

I've put about 4k miles on an '03 and currently have about a thousand miles on my '06. I'm an A level rider, maybe could've been a pro if I wanted to bust up my body to prove something, but that's another story.

The way I see it is this, if you're not that good, I guarantee you'll be faster on an '06 than an '03. If you are good, you won't mind spending the money for a Vortex ignition and U4 fuel. With the ignition and fuel the '06 has seamless power from 3k to 12k rpm. The '03 has the hit, but the '06 has power everywhere. I didn't have a problem with the 4 speed in the '03, even with 15-49 gearing. I don't have a problem with the 5 speed in the '06 with stock gearing, 13-49. The power of the '03 would be terrible with the '06 5 speed and ratios (primary included). Same thing with the '06, it wouldn't work very well geared tall with a 4 speed. The difference in riding is the '06 will pull a hill just as fast in 2nd, 3rd or 4th, the '03 might only pull it fast in 2 gears.

The whole reason Yamaha, and the others also, are softening up the power delivery is that too much "hit" isn't always a good thing. I know there's a difference between fast lap times and getting a thrill from riding, maybe that's the question you have to ask yourselves. If you want to ride faster, the '06 is WAY faster. If you want to "feel" faster, and maybe get more of a thrill when you're riding, the '03 might be better. (Stock vs. stock). If you want to ride faster-longer, the '06 wins again, it's so much easier to ride than the '03 it's not even funny.

I was thinking about this subject last sunday when I had my '06 on a couple of tracks. One track had insane traction, the other was slippery hard pack. On the one with perfect traction I was amazed at how that bike came out of the corners, absolutely the most forward momentum possible without pulling the front wheel and having to clutch it to keep it down. The '03 would have been looping out without perfect throttle and clutch control, more obnoxious but not faster. I threw that bike into turns harder and faster than any bike I've ever ridden, and it never did anything weird, it just sticks. On the slippery track I never worried about loosing the front or back end, the bike just goes wherever you want it to go.

Like I said, I've been riding for years and I know how to ride. The hardest bike I've ever had to get used to was the '03. I don't mean just trail riding it, I mean getting used to what it's going to do when you're really hauling. It might be a little more of a thrill ride than the '06, but it's not faster.

This always reminds me of the evolution of the late model small block Chevy motors, the late '80's tune port motors had somewhere around 200-250 hp, but the power delivery was pretty torquey. The LT1's were even more obnoxious, they felt like they had a ton of power. A strong running Vette or Trans Am with an LT1 will toast the back tires through 2nd gear, pitching sideways and making all kinds of noise. Then the LS1's and LS2's came out and people thought they were weak. The first 350hp GTO I drove I was dissapointed, I even turned the traction control off and it still wasn't that exciting. The 400hp models are a little better but by no mean obnoxious. The difference is instead of the tires going up in smoke, the speedo is winding around very quickly. If you drove a '98 Trans Am and an '06 GTO back to back, most guys would say the TA is faster. The GTO has almost 100 more hp.

Wow, sorry I rambled a bit there!
Bottom line is this, if you're not that fast, you'll be faster on an '06. If you are fast, buy a Vortex and run U4. If you want obnoxious, get an '03, put a 13 tooth sprocket on the front and run U4, now there's obnoxious!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motomike1000

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:01 PM

a little verbose but dead on,good job

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:14 PM

If you drove a '98 Trans Am and an '06 GTO back to back, most guys would say the TA is faster. The GTO has almost 100 more hp.

The GTO has to use that 100 hp to make up for the 500 extra lbs it has to carry. Looking at the numbers between the 2 (I have motor trends dating back to 1996 :devil:) with the 6 speed trannys the run just about even 0-60 and 1/4 mile. 1998 was the first year of the LS1, the 1997 had that rediculous LT1 with all its low end grunt...the LS1 is more of a midrange motor IMHO. A deceptively fast midrange motor at that.

Back to the topic...
An 06 450 would own a 199x 400. Go for it!

• motobark

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:47 PM

The GTO has to use that 100 hp to make up for the 500 extra lbs it has to carry. Looking at the numbers between the 2 (I have motor trends dating back to 1996 :devil:) with the 6 speed trannys the run just about even 0-60 and 1/4 mile. 1998 was the first year of the LS1, the 1997 had that rediculous LT1 with all its low end grunt...the LS1 is more of a midrange motor IMHO. A deceptively fast midrange motor at that.

Sorry, I meant a '97 Trans Am, I forgot the switch from LT1 to LS1 was in '98. Leave it to someone that wasn't even born when I first started working in a GM dealer to correct me! Good job!

I realize the GTO is heavier (too heavy), but it's still a good analogy to the bikes. The GTO is just smoother and the suspension is more refined than the F cars were. Get an older F car on a bumpy, uneven road and you'll have a lot more trouble getting any of that power to the ground, kinda like the '03 YZ huh? A good driver could make either car go fast, but a bad driver (not someone that runs into things, I mean somebody that isn't a "racer") would be faster with the smoothness and newer technology of a car like the GTO. Same with the '06 YZ, it's just easier to go faster.

That's enough talk about cars. And BTW, I'm not a GTO fanatic, when I saw the first ones in '04 I said they wouldn't sell. We've got a lot full of them we can't get rid of.

• Tooliemxer

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:54 PM

I remember my 426-hit so hard that after a day of riding I must have looked like a monkey because it just about would rip my arms out of the sockets (only a slight exaduration):devil:

• motobark

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:55 PM

a little verbose but dead on,good job

Sorry, I have the blessing (or curse) of knowing how to type so sometimes what's in my head just runs out onto the page and before I know it I've rambled into writing a book! If I had to hunt and peck my posts wouldn't be so long winded.:devil:

Thanks for the short and to the point critique and compliment!

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2006 - 07:33 PM

... there's a difference between fast lap times and getting a thrill from riding, ... If you want to ride faster, the '06 is WAY faster. If you want to "feel" faster, and maybe get more of a thrill when you're riding, the '03 might be better.

As I've often said, the hit of an '03/4 is more thrilling than useful.

I threw that bike into turns harder and faster than any bike I've ever ridden, and it never did anything weird, it just sticks. On the slippery track I never worried about loosing the front or back end, the bike just goes wherever you want it to go.

Isn't cool to ride something that nearly always does just exactly what you expect it to, instead of having to react to something all the time?

Like I said, I've been riding for years and I know how to ride. The hardest bike I've ever had to get used to was the '03. It might be a little more of a thrill ride than the '06, but it's not faster.

You've never had a CR500, have you?

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't agree more. :devil:

• motobark

Posted October 18, 2006 - 07:58 PM

You've never had a CR500, have you?

Funny you said that Gray, I've never owned an open 2 stroke, but I've ridden plenty, KX's, CR's, even a ported KTM 540. Two of my buddies and I swapped bikes one day, my YZ426, my buddies WR400 and a CR500 ('98 I believe, very low hours good running bike). We all looked at each other and said the same thing after spending some time on all the bikes. We all thought the 426 felt like a top fuel dragster and the 500 felt like a pussycat next to it. That was back in '00 or so. It was mostly because the 500 wasn't hooking up, plus the powerband is SO narrow compared to the 426. On a 500 you KNOW you're going fast, on the big 4 strokes it's more like "Oh crap, I'm going too fast!"

Isn't cool to ride something that nearly always does just exactly what you expect it to, instead of having to react to something all the time?

You nailed it there, on the '03 I always felt like it was going to bite me if I let my guard down for a second. It demanded total concentration when riding fast, and strong muscles when it tried to buck you off!

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:37 PM

..., on the '03 I always felt like it was going to bite me if I let my guard down for a second. It demanded total concentration when riding fast, and strong muscles when it tried to buck you off!

They're much more a handful than the '06, or many others, no doubt. But the "BFH" was nearly impossible on anything but a really big MX track. You never knew if the back tire would stay hooked or not, and it was always a crap shoot if you left a jump with the power on at all. I've been at or near vertical on that thing way too many times. OTOH, there's not much to compare with running down Main Street at Elsinore with the front wheel floating 2" off all the way through 4th. The bike accelerated beyond 100 mph in 5th like my 450 accelerates to 80. Before I got the '03 "everybody" said, "stay away from those, they're as bad as a two-stroke." After the CR, I couldn't really see what all the fuss was about for a long time. :devil:

• aford541

Posted October 18, 2006 - 09:14 PM

Hey guys seriously lookin into an 06 from my 99 YZ400F but have heard that the new bikes are a soft power and that the older bikes have just as much stick, anybody got an opinion or has made the leap of faith:worthy:
thanks alot guys (really excited that i may be a new 06 owner soon)

I have to say I was worried about the same thing I had a Bad A$$ 05 with the motor all done up that had so much torque it was amazing but I trusted in blue and bought an 06 anyway.
The motor seemed a little flat off the bottom so I changed the pipe jetted it added the power nows and have been happy ever since although some times I have to shift a little more.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.