any of you guys rode 450x ? can you compare it to 650R

16 replies to this topic
  • pgiinc

Posted October 18, 2006 - 10:35 AM

have any of you guys rode a cfr450x and can you tell me pro or cons compared to 650R
I am almost on my 3rd bike here in two months
I always wanted the crf450X sinice it can out for a play bike for a old man
instead I got a 2007 xr650L. Boring a little heavy, the gearing it is uncorked and runs great.
then I bought a 01 650R got it Dualsported and really dailed it in runs great I love it a blast second will pull right out the corners traction wheelies from corner to corner execpt for one thing F--king kick start.if I want to take a break riding I dont want to have to worry if this dam bike will start
So I looking at a 2006 CRF450X ,plan to dualsport
what do you guys think

• ghoti

Posted October 18, 2006 - 10:52 AM

have any of you guys rode a cfr450x and can you tell me pro or cons compared to 650R
instead I got a 2007 xr650L. Boring a little heavy, the gearing it is uncorked and runs great.
then I bought a 01 650R got it Dualsported and really dailed it in runs great I love it a blast second will pull right out the corners traction wheelies from corner to corner execpt for one thing F--king kick start.if I want to take a break riding I dont want to have to worry if this dam bike will start
what do you guys think

Can I have your leftovers?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 18, 2006 - 11:01 AM

what do you guys think

I think you should have all three. :thumbsdn:

Seriously, define DS? If its an occasional off road that a street bike wouldn't make it down, then the L is your answer. Mainly offroad, then the R is your answer. Mainly offroad, with tight trails, technical sections, and you want more 'flickability', get the X.

EVERYTHING is a trade-off. Just gotta pick the model(s) that best balance out your riding desires and conditions.

As ghoti asked, yep...we're not proud...we'll take your crumbs, discards, and leftover scraps, lol... :devil:

• pgiinc

Posted October 18, 2006 - 11:06 AM

I like the R better then the L but no e start
will I like the 450x better then the R
I have a street bike
I just want a plated bike to ride on the street in between home and the dirt no Baja just playin in Va

• slomotobug

Posted October 18, 2006 - 11:17 AM

I like the R better then the L but no e start
will I like the 450x better then the R
I have a street bike
I just want a plated bike to ride on the street in between home and the dirt no Baja just playin in Va

I had an 01 XR650R, now an 05 CRF450X, for the dirt, the 450X is WAY better in my opinion unless you are doing Baja type rides (sustaned high speeds), but the 450X isn't well suited for the road, unless just for short trips to get to the dirt, the 650R can run 90mph all day long and not break a sweat, the 450X is, well, just better for the dirt. Excellent tractor power, yet rips when you get up in the rpm's, light compared to any 650), very flickable, corners awesome, great DIRT bike. They only need the same mods as the 650R, uncork it, jet it, a stabilizer, and you're ready to ride.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted October 18, 2006 - 11:43 AM

I've owned an XR650R and have maybe an hour of riding time on a 2005 CFR450X. For me the XR650R is more comfortable for longer rides and as mentioned above is happier running at higher speeds all day long. The torque of the 650 off idle is much stronger and can become very heavy on tight slow trails. I was much more comfortable on my 650 with the Moose seat and tall bars compared to riding the 450 (I'm 6' 1"). The 450 does have decent low end torque, but likes to rev more then the 650. I did like the 450x a lot and considered buying one. It was a pleasure to ride single track on the 450 and i took full advantage of the lighter weight and e-start. i noticed riding along my buddy with the 450 he used the clutch all the time on single track and downshifted more often on hill lcimbs. The 650 just seemed to tractor uo anything regardless of gear choice.

• NavyNuke

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:01 PM

Like the other guys said, I own a WR450, and the XRR, and the WR is very quick, and much more nimble, but if you open it up for more than a mile or so, it suffers, as opposed to the XR. Also, its not very streetable because of the way its fast, wheelies happen lots ect. the XR tractor power just pulls you along on the street well. I have the XR plated, for more street/fire roads ect. and if I want single track ect. I'll jump on the 450

• rebelventurer

Posted October 18, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Basically what I am hearing here is that you have to compromise somewhere.
Offroad, woods, trails = crf450 will need more maintanance than others.
Offroad, wide open areas, fire roads, hill climbs, street = xr650R
Street, fire roads, trail riding, = xr650L
So have all three if you can afford it, lucky b-----d!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NavyNuke

Posted October 18, 2006 - 03:40 PM

or get the 450 and the 650R and don't worry about it, the R is good for trail riding too.

• bsa441

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:47 PM

I am looking for a 650R if you decide to part with yours , I am in Maryland......were neighbors !

• pgiinc

Posted October 18, 2006 - 07:33 PM

here it is
http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=6863

all new plastic
Dual sport kit
new tires mt21
new edelbrock carb
new brakes
pro tapers
uni
I only had it 3 weeks got 4k in it

• Desertskyy

Posted October 19, 2006 - 07:08 AM

then I bought a 01 650R got it Dualsported and really dailed it in runs great I love it a blast second will pull right out the corners traction wheelies from corner to corner execpt for one thing F--king kick start.if [COLOR="Blue"]I want to take a break riding I dont want to have to worry if this dam bike will start:[/COLOR]

If your XR650R does not start in 1-2 kicks then something is wrong.

• pgiinc

Posted October 19, 2006 - 10:55 AM

it will just not every time then thats what ticks me off
I pick up the 450X
Noisy motor
nice e start
stalls in the corner in second were then 650R just pulss right thru
I guess i will have to get used to it more
it is stock were the 650R has an edelbrock
so now I need to see what suits me best

• Ramcc4x4

Posted October 19, 2006 - 04:35 PM

Hot or cold my XR650R started first or second kick before and after the Edelbrock. Once it's properly tuned and the starting procedure is learned it's not a problem.

• XRsteve

Posted October 19, 2006 - 04:55 PM

Doesn't the 450x has an unreliable starter? That's what I heard at my local Honda shop. They said they've replaced several.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 19, 2006 - 05:50 PM

stalls in the corner in second were then 650R just pulss right thru

Feather it through. :devil:

• weskc35k

Posted October 19, 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hope this is valid.
I have an 06 XR650R and an 06 CRF450R and both are fantastic bikes dead stop.
The pig is awesome at what it does and so is the 450 at what it does,but you do compromise both bikes where they are not at their best.
I have noticed that if i ride track with the 450 and then ride trail on the same day or very soon after on the PIG i ride the BRP much harder and looser than i normally would do if i hadn't ridden the CRF,i can't explain it but i have much more faith in the big girl after a blast on the 450 i think it's a Honda thing.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.