How do you prevent forks twisting in clamps?

4 replies to this topic
  • XR250_RIDER_14

Posted October 18, 2006 - 09:52 AM

It wont stop! Every time I lay my bike over the forks twist in the clamps! If anyone knows what I mean is there any way to prevent it?

I already have applied top clamps with renthal twinwalls. I thought that the a/m ones prevented that from happening?

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2006 - 09:54 AM

New bike, or used?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SpringChicken

Posted October 18, 2006 - 09:58 AM

Just make sure you have everything torqued correctly. Other than that, the ability that your forks have to twist is not an entirely bad thing. It's like leaving your clutch/brake lever clamps a little loose so they are able to move in case of impact. If they were too tight to move, they levers would probably break.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted October 18, 2006 - 10:18 AM

my 03 is used. The triple clamps are used. What is the best way to make it straight again. That is the hardest part. Actually getting them perfect again.

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2006 - 11:14 AM

If you loosen the lower clamp pinch bolts, does the wheel want to stay facing straight when it's put there, or does it want to spring back off to one side or the other?

If it stays straight, clamp it back down to 14-15 ft lb. with the tire pointed straight. Loosen and align the fender with the tire if necessary.

If it won't sit straight with the clamp loose, something is bent, most likely a fork tube.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.