No more street legal motard or enduro bikes in Idaho....

22 replies to this topic
  • vdigz

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:10 AM

thanks to legislation being sponsored by Idaho Representatives Jana Kemp and JoAn Wood. If these two Idaho Representatives have it their way this revision to Idaho law will eliminate the conversion of enduro bikes to dual sport bikes or steet legal motards. No more CRFX dual sports, YZ motard or WR or whatever. This will also make a large number of current dual sports illegal. THERE IS NO GRANDFATHER PROPOSAL!! This proposed revision is flawed with loopholes such as a part where Counties could turn around and close dirt roads entirely due to "safety concerns". Another example of the poor planning here is if you want to ride your street legal motard/dual sport motorcycle on Utah, Oregon, Montana or Wyoming public roads, you can't anymore because you didn't get a plate in Idaho.
We need to put a stop to this nonsense while it's still in a draft form. What can you do? Join me at the public meeting to be held at the Idaho Parks and Recreation office off of Warm Springs on Monday November 13th from 7-9 PM. We can let our reps know that this law is not acceptable in it's current state.
If you're not interested in this but might know someone that is, please let them know about the public meeting at IDPR on November 13th from 7-9 or to contact their local state Representative.

• obrianmcc

Posted October 18, 2006 - 12:16 PM

I'm sending out some emails tonight!....Kemp and Wood are at the top of my list.........

• Ride

Posted October 18, 2006 - 01:16 PM

Well if you are able to think outside the box the Husky TE line (250/450/510) are all factory street legal and there is nothing they can do about it. You can also get a nice SM if that's your thing. Fantastic bikes. Read about them in the husky forum if you are interested. Very competitive with CRF/WRF's.

http://www.husqvarnausa.com

Posted Image

07's are Red and White like this...

Posted Image

or the DOT leagal SM version...

Posted Image

K

• vdigz

Posted October 18, 2006 - 01:33 PM

I'm sure those are great bikes, and some of the K-mart Trail Machines are also street legal in 07', but that's really not the issue here. Besides, I don't know about everybody else but I don't have 7 grand to upgrade to a new bike when my existing bike works just fine.

• obrianmcc

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:35 PM

I'm sure those are great bikes, and some of the K-mart Trail Machines are also street legal in 07', but that's really not the issue here. Besides, I don't know about everybody else but I don't have 7 grand to upgrade to a new bike when my existing bike works just fine.

I'll second that......:devil: Do you happen to know what the bill number is????

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:43 PM

I didnt think they'd ever "squeeze" Idaho! Man, if Idaho falls, anyone can! Its already here in WA

• obrianmcc

Posted October 19, 2006 - 05:50 AM

I started sending out emails last night...I suggest others in ID do the same....even if your not interested in plating your bike...this paves the path to a green/red sticker emmissions situation that will effect your riding freedom!
My biggest fear here is that these two representatives will impose their will by piggy backing their agenda on the tail of a much larger bill.

• Ride

Posted October 19, 2006 - 05:57 AM

I can't believe this crap is happening in Idaho! :devil:

• hozhead

Posted October 19, 2006 - 07:33 AM

Loads of B.S.

And my WR400 just became streetable over the weekend too!

I'll be at the meeting.

• Ride

Posted October 19, 2006 - 07:59 AM

Loads of B.S.

And my WR400 just became streetable over the weekend too!

I'll be at the meeting.

Not sure what's happening there but a lot of people from Oregon are getting letters saying to send their plates back as the local DMV's were wrong in giving you one :devil:

• obrianmcc

Posted October 19, 2006 - 12:12 PM

Not sure what's happening there but a lot of people from Oregon are getting letters saying to send their plates back as the local DMV's were wrong in giving you one :thumbsdn:

I have heard the same....something to do about 06 models and the wording on the certificate of origins stating "off road" use only...or something like that.

The last thing we need is for this to happen over here.........this whole thing royally chaps my ass as I have my DRZ E set up for trails and dual sporting...been having a blast and now some stupid $#@&% wants to %$#& it up! :thumbsdn: :excuseme: :cry: :cry:

Need to meet these people face to face so I can tell them to :devil:

• scott_motoxer

Posted October 19, 2006 - 10:52 PM

damn...I was just getting ready to dual out my 93 XR 2hundy

• obrianmcc

Posted October 20, 2006 - 05:34 AM

damn...I was just getting ready to dual out my 93 XR 2hundy

If you haven't allready picked up a plate for it? I would ...just so you have it....then depending on what they end up doing you could be grandfathered in....this whole thing might also go nowhere.....I hope! I'm going to continue to DS my DRZ E until someone knocks on my door wanting my plate....I think were away's off from that?

• Ride

Posted October 20, 2006 - 08:16 AM

In Oregon the older bike seem impervious to this recalling plates. I think you will be fine with a 93 and the title probably does not state "for off road use only"

• Wrfrk

Posted October 20, 2006 - 08:45 AM

Holly crap, I never thought this was would really come. For some reason in the back of my mind I felt like Idaho's rep's really knew what Idahoan's really want, guess I am wrong. This is a trully a sad day, I will try and be there, feel free to email me so I remember.
wrfrk@cableone.net

• vdigz

Posted October 20, 2006 - 10:09 AM

Do you happen to know what the bill number is????

I don't have it but will have something prior to the public meeting on the 13th. The proposals have 2 main points I think.

1 - Don't allow registry/plate of OHVs period unless they were designed from the OEM for that purpose. This allows you by default to run your OHV on non-paved roads without it being registered and then at the same time makes it absolutely illegal to run on public paved roads.

2 - Addition allows for local political structure to close non-paved roads at their discretion.

I personally love riding our WR from my house to 8th street trail here in Boise; I'm not looking forward to losing that priviledge.:devil:

• Wrfrk

Posted October 20, 2006 - 11:35 AM

I hope we can stop this, I've never been much into going to meetings largely because I don't understand how my being there bears any weight. I will do my best to be at this one though b/c it affects me in a big way ie; '02 DRZ400E plated, loosing that plate means someone will need their U know what kicked!!! I've got another good freind in the same boat that is planning on attending, maybe with large enough numbers we can shut this down..

• obrianmcc

Posted October 20, 2006 - 01:25 PM

Were all in the same boat here...let's keep this thread alive as long as we can in an effort to get the word out and keep each other informed as more info arises....if you have not already started to send emails....start sending!

• obrianmcc

Posted October 20, 2006 - 03:44 PM

Ok...I think I have their reasoning figured out....the're setting a trap?

It's already illegal to ride on any pulic roadway (paved or unpaved) unless your plated, meet DOT requirements, and with insurance. Now eliminate that requirement while at the same time eliminting the option to plate an off road bike and now every bike that has an OHV sticker can ride on that roadway.

Now that they have created an unsafe environment with every doorknob and his brother ripping like hell on all of the back roads contending with all of the car traffic, now we have a problem, so give the counties individual powers to shut down the roads to offroad vehicles should they see fit. After all they know that were ultimatley going to burn ourselves in the end.

Now they have successfully eliminated any type of off road vehicle, be it dirtbikes, ATV's, Off Road Buggies, 4x4's, Etc........from operating on any of the backroads in said counties....

Pretty ingenious I tell you....put the responsibility in our laps to restrain ourselves and we'll do ourselves in every time.....

Just a brain fart...thought I'd pass it on!

• obrianmcc

Posted October 22, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Were all in the same boat here...let's keep this thread alive as long as we can in an effort to get the word out and keep each other informed as more info arises....if you have not already started to send emails....start sending!

:mad:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Navigating new trail systems by jc.av8r

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

KOMO 4 is doing the story on Sunday about my stolen Gas Gas! by iamovru aka mvertoch

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

OTBG september schedule by Scoott

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Washington

mx jump practise - seattle area ? by mambo00

• 4 replies
Where 2 Ride

Spinreel

9189-9299 Wildwood Drive, Siuslaw National Forest, North Bend, OR 97459, USA

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.