Looking at a '01 426- need help on price

8 replies to this topic
  • battles2a5

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:38 AM

Hey guys. Well if all goes well I'll be trawling these forums with much greater tfequency in the next week or so. I am looking at a 2001 yz426f. It is in pretty good shape and seems to have pretty low hours on it. In fact, the owner claims that is has the original tires (which are pretty worn). He has also stated that the engine has never been opened up; no top end, not even a valve adjustment.

The bike starts on the first kick once you go through the decompression process and it has tons of power, so it looks/feels/sounds like it is in good working order. I am just concerned that a 6 year old new-gen 4t has not had the valves adjusted at all.

So anyway, I am pretty mechanically inclined and I feel confident that I can do the adjustments on my own. I am just going into the deal assuming that I will at least have to adjust the valves.

So down to price- he wants $2300. Average Nada retail is around $1950, private party would be a little less. Add to this the fact that the bike needs a good going-through and possibly shims or at worse a top end.

Can anyone give me an idea of a fair price for this bike? I have been out of moto-x for about 10 years, so I'm used to 2 strokes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :devil:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:59 AM

I would get him down to around $1800 - $2000 if you are really interested in the bike - and if the bike is in good shape. For a little more than what he is asking, you could get a newer 450. I bought a used 2000 426 3 years ago that was in good shape and it has been simply rock solid. I have never had the valves shimmed or had to do anything to the valves or motor. I have only had to put in sparkplugs, tires/chains and the basic maintenance (Change oil, filters, etc...) It is due for a comlete teardown & inspection this winter and I plan on putting some $$'s in it.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to TT.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:12 AM

Prices of used bikes seems to vary quite a bit depending on which state you are in, but as far as the bike is concerned there probably is not a more solid thumper engine made. I ride my '02 every weekend and it is simply bulletproof...Yamaha builds probably the most solid valve train in a bike today.

If you've only ridden pingers before then you are going to love this bike!

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:14 AM

He has also stated that the engine has never been opened up; no top end, not even a valve adjustment.

I am just concerned that a 6 year old new-gen 4t has not had the valves adjusted at all.

So anyway, ...I am just going into the deal assuming that I will at least have to adjust the valves.

Here's what you'll find when you check the valve clearance...All 3 intakes will be at .15-.16mm, and both exhausts will be at .20-.22mm, and you won't have to do anything to it. This is still true of a number of '01 426's that have worn out 7-8 rear tires (which frankly doesn't take long). Any YZ426 that still has the original rear on it has been ridden very gently, or no more than 15 hours tops.

Check it anyway, sometimes one valve will settle a bit.

And welcome out of the shadows. :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • battles2a5

Posted October 18, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It has been waaaayyy too long since I have been on a dirt bike. I took a break while I was at college and have been messing about with sport bikes ever since. It will feel good to get back in the dirt. I just hope my body will take the abuse. I'm certainly not 18 anymore :devil:

• Milhaus

Posted October 18, 2006 - 01:26 PM

More than likely you have absolutely nothing to worry about. As Grayracer stated, the YZ426 valvetrain is as solid as it comes. I was like you about a year ago. I bought an '01 YZ426F for $2,400 and at the time most guys were paying over $3,000. My bike STILL has the original rubber on it, however it is overdue for some new rubber.

Buy it...you won't regret it! :devil:

• battles2a5

Posted October 22, 2006 - 05:23 AM

Well, offered the guy $1800 and we settled on $2100. I think that is a fair price based on what's out there. Hopefully I will pick the bike up on Friday and will be out riding on the weekend :mad:. Man, it will be nice to get monkey butt and arm pump after 10 years out of the saddle... did I say that out loud?

• twist17

Posted October 22, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Yes you did...:mad: You will love the 426, just be careful idling for longer periods as they like to spit out coolant and freak out us old school 2- strokers!

• yz_for_me

Posted October 22, 2006 - 07:28 AM

I think you did pretty well, especially considering the bike was hardly ridden. Seems like most bikes don't drop much below that $2000 mark unless they are very old (10+ years) and/or trashed. I would be really suprised if you find any mechanical issues or even need to adjust the valves. I've had an '01 for 4 years and it has been absolutely bulletproof. I've only had to adjust the valves once in that time. Your gonna love this bike.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.