XR-L - Dave's Carb Mods - Any Negatives?

22 replies to this topic
  • Poe

Posted October 19, 2006 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. :devil: Sounds like I need to go ahead and do it. Besides, the only irreversible part is drilling the slide. What do I have to lose - other than maybe a few MPG's? I have a 4-gal. IMS tank, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I may also put the stock muffler back on there in place of the old Supertrapp. It is just too loud - even with just five discs in. I really thought that repacking it was the answer, so I did that last night. I was really encouraged when I opened it up and found only very small fragments of the previous packing. I mean, there was basically NOTHING left in there. A big, hollow can. I figured packing it would make a big difference. I had picked up some FMF 4-stroke packing at my local Cycle Gear store and cut it to fit. Stuffed it in, buttoned it all back up, fired up the engine, and... it was only marginally quieter. The packing may have taken the edge off the sound somewhat, but it's still too loud to suit me. If I lose a couple of HP on the top end with the stock pipe, so what. This bike is all about low-end and mid-range anyway. I ride on some dirt roads & trails that are frequented by horse riders - and nothing makes them hate you more than an obnoxiously loud pipe that annoys them (and everyone else) and spooks their horses. I'd rather be stealthy and try to get along with those people. When I was riding last week, I noticed a few of them coming towards me ahead in the distance, and before I got close to them, I just pulled over and shut the beast down. As they came by one guy said "I owe you a beer". See... a little bit of courtesy goes a long way sometimes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 20, 2006 - 05:04 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. :devil: Sounds like I need to go ahead and do it. Besides, the only irreversible part is drilling the slide. What do I have to lose - other than maybe a few MPG's? I have a 4-gal. IMS tank, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I may also put the stock muffler back on there in place of the old Supertrapp. It is just too loud - even with just five discs in. I really thought that repacking it was the answer, so I did that last night. I was really encouraged when I opened it up and found only very small fragments of the previous packing. I mean, there was basically NOTHING left in there. A big, hollow can. I figured packing it would make a big difference. I had picked up some FMF 4-stroke packing at my local Cycle Gear store and cut it to fit. Stuffed it in, buttoned it all back up, fired up the engine, and... it was only marginally quieter. The packing may have taken the edge off the sound somewhat, but it's still too loud to suit me. If I lose a couple of HP on the top end with the stock pipe, so what. This bike is all about low-end and mid-range anyway. I ride on some dirt roads & trails that are frequented by horse riders - and nothing makes them hate you more than an obnoxiously loud pipe that annoys them (and everyone else) and spooks their horses. I'd rather be stealthy and try to get along with those people. When I was riding last week, I noticed a few of them coming towards me ahead in the distance, and before I got close to them, I just pulled over and shut the beast down. As they came by one guy said "I owe you a beer". See... a little bit of courtesy goes a long way sometimes.

Not sure if this will help, but did you pack it as tight as possible, with as much packing material as possible?

I hear you (no pun intended, lol) on the loud pipe issue. It's not my style to annoy/aggravate others.

As far as the little bit of courtesy going a long way, it goes much, much further than we know most of the time. Kudos to your actions. :thumbsdn:

• epetersen

Posted October 28, 2006 - 09:58 PM

Hey All :mad:
Just finnished the carb mod on my 93 650L, Wow. I rejetted to a 55 pilot and a 158 main with a 0.04" needle shim. Popping on decell is dramaticaly reduced( almost gone ) and a noticable gain on power.

desnorkel
desmog
supertrap
:mad:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.