Dunlop D606

10 replies to this topic
  • ghoti

Posted October 18, 2006 - 04:58 AM

I've got a new 606 to compare to my beloved Karoo and have a question. The little circle indicates the light spot on the tire, correct? Has anyone lined this up with the rim lock instead of the valve stem? I guess this would apply to any tire that has the indicater.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:19 AM

Have never noticed this, please tell me more, I am on my second set of 606's did not have any balancing issues. Great tires!

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:27 AM

That is my understanding as well: the white dot indicates the lightest side of the tire and needs to be positioned with the rim lock.

My buddy pointed out this little-known (at least for me) fact when he did a PA vehicle inspection on my wife's CRF230 last month. I had just spooned on a new set of DS tires and did not know about "the white dot". I am pretty sure it may not matter for some bikes at normal speeds: though the dot is about mid-way around the rim on her bike, I have had it up to 72 mph (top end for her 230) and didn't feel a thing.

It would obviously be a bigger issue for a 650R at 100+ mph. I am getting DS tires for my 650R factory rims this month and will be swapping off my precious 17" SM rims for the winter. Obviously I will observe this rule at that time.

Good to know!

• pburke

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:31 AM

did not know that - have to check my 606. Maybe next time I can save some balancing weights, because this time it took a ton of them, and they are not exactly opposite the rimlock

• TDC71

Posted October 18, 2006 - 12:08 PM

I did the same thing. Put the tire on and a friend pointed out the dot and told me where to line it up. Dont think it makes that much difference unless you maintain freeway speeds for long stints.

Todd

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted October 18, 2006 - 01:40 PM

I guess the blind pig finds the trough every now and then, I checked mine and the dot is about an inch from the rim lock bolt, on the front its about four inches from the valve stem. No weights on at all and bike handles fine at speed. Thanks for the info. though will definately remember next time I am mounting tires. :devil:

• ghoti

Posted October 18, 2006 - 01:53 PM

I guess the blind pig finds the trough every now and then, I checked mine and the dot is about an inch from the rim lock bolt, on the front its about four inches from the valve stem. No weights on at all and bike handles fine at speed. Thanks for the info. though will definately remember next time I am mounting tires. :devil:

You have ninja skills:thumbsup:

• rebelventurer

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:05 PM

Well if I have ninja skills, I need to do some meditating, and some of that Steven Segal accupunture healing with the smoking stuff on the needles, cause I think I just got very lucky, this time anyway. Its odd because when I mounted the tire (rear) I saw the dot and said wonder what thats for, then stuck the tire on not giving it another thought. :devil:

• ghoti

Posted October 19, 2006 - 04:51 AM

Does anyone know if the light spot is intentional? I would be a bit concerned with quality if the process was out of control enough to warrant balancing each tire.

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 19, 2006 - 06:40 AM

No tire is ever manuafactured perfectly round nor perfectly balanced. Maybe MotoGP or NASCAR or Formula 1 tires are close but I'll bet even they have to be balanced.

All the manufacturers are trying to do with the white dot info is give us a leg up: knowing where the lightest section of the tire is allows us to mount that with the heaviest section of the rim. Below 80 mph that would normally allow us to get away with no wheel weights. Above 80 mph it allows us to minimize the amount of weights we have to use to get true balance and minimize imbalance issues at high-speed. :devil:

I think its cool the manufacturers provide that info.

• NavyNuke

Posted October 19, 2006 - 02:46 PM

it is nice, on roadrice tires I've run upwards of 150mph on unbalanced tires with no vibration, they are pretty close, and the amount they are not round, fades when temps/speeds are that high. But I still balance all my rims after new tires if I ride on the street.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.