426f starting tips

17 replies to this topic
  • felix 222

Posted October 17, 2006 - 08:55 PM

i know the process and basics but are there any general recommendations. sometimes it can be a pain to start but i know that's normal.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 17, 2006 - 08:57 PM

Put an 03 auto decomp cam in it... better power and easier to start.

• felix 222

Posted October 17, 2006 - 09:06 PM

how much do they run?

• b-bike

Posted October 17, 2006 - 09:18 PM

how much do they run?

When I did mine the total cost was less then $160.

That may sound like alot of cash just to make your bike start better but there is a much bigger benifit to the cam mod.
MORE POWER EVERYWHERE IN THE R.P.M. RANGE :devil:

You will love the mod.

• 01yz426

Posted October 18, 2006 - 03:10 AM

I have never understood what people are talking about when they say the 426 is hard to start... I had my '01 from the showroom floor up until may of '06 and I never EVER had any problems starting it... Seems mostly the 2-banger dudes who can't do it right...

• onecolumbyte

Posted October 18, 2006 - 11:59 AM

Check you pilot screw adjustment! Look in the jetting sticky, best way to help it start better.
Check your plug. Is it fouled?
Check your wiring, the coil is right by the kickstarter and may be loose. Also check you plug boot, mine had worked itself a little loose.
Practice! No really. Practice in the garage not at the riding area when you're just dying to go. Practice at home. Figure out how much "a little past tdc" actually is. It'll make it a lot easier to start when you want to go ride it.

• Phatjonny

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:36 PM

Just do the auto decomp cam mod, trust me...you will thank me once it is in. If you don't want to believe me, check the sticky at the top of this forum to see hundreds of posted replies raving about how happy they were that they did it. A couple hours worth of work and you'll never, ever have starting trouble again (at least from a kicking standpoint).

• Florida_426

Posted October 19, 2006 - 06:38 AM

I'll reinforce the 450DCM. I did it in 2003 and love the ease of starting and eliminating the decomp decvice altogether. A TT plug in the hole from the device removal and it was good to go.:devil:

Bill

• Kyle426

Posted October 19, 2006 - 07:31 AM

i turn my gas on at the last minute and try to start. usually starts if not notions first kick. if you've given it a few kicks and nothing is happening i'll lean the bike over and let a little gas out of the carb then try again or pull in the decom lever and kick it a few times open to clean it out.

just my 2cents. good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 19, 2006 - 09:51 AM

I have never understood what people are talking about when they say the 426 is hard to start... I had my '01 from the showroom floor up until may of '06 and I never EVER had any problems starting it... Seems mostly the 2-banger dudes who can't do it right...

I couldn't agree more. I stil have the manual Decomp lever on mine but agree the Auto-Decom/Cam is a very worthwhile mod and plan to perform once I tear into my bike. I have to admit, I still get a kick out of seeing people attempt to start their new 4-Strokes that came stock with auto decomp...

Bottom line regardless, you have to put some ass and leg into the bigger 4-strokes to start them. The bigger the legs and ass, the easier. Hence why I probably don't have the problem. :devil:

- RCD

• studio65photos

Posted October 19, 2006 - 09:58 AM

i know the process and basics but are there any general recommendations. sometimes it can be a pain to start but i know that's normal.

hook it to the back of a 3/4ton truck and maybe it will start. LOL

• ESC

Posted October 19, 2006 - 11:08 AM

The bigger the legs and ass, the easier. Hence why I probably don't have the problem. :devil:

- RCD

haha...must be why I never have a problem either.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted October 19, 2006 - 11:12 AM

Do you guys give the throttle a twist before kicking? My bike always fired off within 1 - 3 kicks before. Then I started giving the throttle one quick twist before kicking and now it fires off 1st kick every time.

I have the Hotcams auto-decompression cam also...best mod you can do to the 426!

• buzzgrizz

Posted October 19, 2006 - 02:31 PM

Never ever touch the throttle !!!!!! Just go through the proper procedure (little past TDC) and in 2 or 3 kicks it should crank.

• felix 222

Posted October 19, 2006 - 09:14 PM

I couldn't agree more. I stil have the manual Decomp lever on mine but agree the Auto-Decom/Cam is a very worthwhile mod and plan to perform once I tear into my bike. I have to admit, I still get a kick out of seeing people attempt to start their new 4-Strokes that came stock with auto decomp...

Bottom line regardless, you have to put some ass and leg into the bigger 4-strokes to start them. The bigger the legs and ass, the easier. Hence why I probably don't have the problem. :devil:

- RCD

k, it's not hard to kick through a 4 stroke. i'm just asking for some simple recommendations

• felix 222

Posted October 19, 2006 - 09:15 PM

hook it to the back of a 3/4ton truck and maybe it will start. LOL

or crack the decomp and roll start

• ISBB

Posted October 20, 2006 - 10:53 AM

When Cold... 2 twists of the throttle... hold decomp lever kick thru twice... then go to TDC, decomp lever then bout 1/4"-1/2" past tdc release decomp kicker back to the top and follow thru... ( mine starts First or second kick everytime when cold ), When hot... If you dumped it.. pull hotstart and hold decomp kick thru a couple times.. then proceed w/ starting ritual.. will work no problem.

• GONE1445

Posted October 20, 2006 - 11:35 AM

I will turn my gas on first thing then get my gear on and then just kick it till I cant push it pull decomp push it past TDC a little bit release decomp and give her hell

never never never touch the throttle I used to do this because a guy told me it primes the engine with the AP but that usually just flooded the engine(figures he was a honda rider)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.