Best desert rims...

15 replies to this topic
  • Mojave Monster

Posted October 17, 2006 - 08:14 PM

Hello all,
I'm sure everyone will say Excel but still need to ask. What do you think are the best desert rims. My BRP loves to eat tires, Dunlop 742/739at, about every 300 miles. She also tryies to eat rocks with her stock rims and I've had to resort to a "C" clamp and hammer to try and keep them roughly straight. In the past I've tried verious rims but they were on the 250cc class. I'm looking for something that will take the abuse of an XR650R, piped, jetted, air box mod, 15/48, etc. I would like to hear from anyone with recomendations for the applicable rims... Thanx for any input!

• Blakerj10

Posted October 18, 2006 - 07:14 AM

My stock rims were terrible. Almost square when I gave up on them. My Excels are a little better, but I am not ultra impressed. I doubt that there is much better than the excels though.

• simon@vic

Posted October 18, 2006 - 07:25 AM

sun rims are very strong if you can find them in the size you want.......
but not cheap!

• cleonard

Posted October 18, 2006 - 09:39 AM

Hello all,
I'm sure everyone will say Excel but still need to ask. What do you think are the best desert rims. My BRP loves to eat tires, Dunlop 742/739at, about every 300 miles. She also tryies to eat rocks with her stock rims and I've had to resort to a "C" clamp and hammer to try and keep them roughly straight. In the past I've tried verious rims but they were on the 250cc class. I'm looking for something that will take the abuse of an XR650R, piped, jetted, air box mod, 15/48, etc. I would like to hear from anyone with recomendations for the applicable rims... Thanx for any input!

I have Excel's on my 600 and so far they are great. No problems. How long they last is primarily a function of how they are used. If you race, you will hit big rocks at speed. Hitting big rocks at speed will waste any rim Excel or not. You can bend them back, but once you see any stress cracks, the rim is done. I'm not a racer, so I'm not in the extreme dust and I can see and avoid the bigger rocks. I do go pretty hard and fast though. I'm sure that if I had the stock rims, I would have had to replace them by now.

As far as tires go, try a Maxxis Desert IT on the rear. Twice the life and almost as good traction as the 756's that I used to run. In the desert I really liked the 756 over a 739.

• eastreich

Posted October 18, 2006 - 11:48 AM

I've run both stock and excel's (pretty gold ones) on my 650R. I race hare and hounds and tend to really bend things up. The bike has the full HRC motor, XR's Only full meg. exhaust, USD forks, etc... I am 6'-4", 270 lbs. Like I said, I can put a beating on my bike. The stock rims do bend more easily than than Excel's, but they are also much easier to bend back! I have gone back to the stock rims for this reason. I could bend the Excels just as quickly, though usually not as severely. The Excels that I had were starting to crack at all of the spoke nipple holes and along the centerline of the rim.

If you plan to lace them up yourself, FYI that the stock rims from Honda will true up right away, Excels are so-so, and almost any other rim that you may get will pretty much be impossible to get perfectly straight. With rims, you definitely get what you pay for.

Campbell and Hengeveld use OEM rims, and if it's good enough for them it should be good enough for us, right?

• ThunderChicken

Posted October 18, 2006 - 12:42 PM

Another vote for sticking with stock rims. If you ride in the desert you are going to bend rims.

My best advice for making wheels last is to build up two sets. I have three sets of wheels that I cycle through.

Save up for new hubs and another set of rims.

If you do go with excels don't get black because they will look like shit from all the rocks and sandblasting within the first 3 rides.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Round ones work the best!:devil:
Stock actually dont bend as easy as the fancy ones and are easier to true. Stock ones are probably the most economical, verses the sun, or excell. just buy up all the rims that guys are taking off to put motards on or them fancy gold ones.

• Mojave Monster

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Thanx everyone, it's about what I expected. Those darn rocks that jump out and bite my tires and rims are just plain annoying. I've tried the Maxxis tires too but the only tires I've found to stand up to those pesky biting rocks are the Bridgstones (ed77/78) but I still find the Dunlops preferable. I guess I need to buy another set of stockers, the ones on the bike have about 2k miles on them and I just dont see them holding on much longer. Besides a little insurance on NOT having a rim fail at high speed is always worth it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mojave Monster

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:15 PM

Oh yea, thanx to rebelventure for advising on "the round ones" :devil: whoda thunk? I guess I better trade in those pretty square, golds ones I found on Ebay:crazy:

• Blakerj10

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:49 PM

It was always a pet peeve of mine too... bending rims that is. But, I recently I have also purchased a quad (head hanger) too. On a bike, you may hit a rock and bend the wheels and notice it when you get home and the bike is clean. On a quad, you hit a pebble and the bars are jerked from your hand and slam into one of your thighs. After that you go on one of the wildest rides of your life as travel full speed (your other thigh is still pushing that goofy throttle) through the rubarb. When you finally stop, you only wish that you had a bike with square wheels!

• slepe67

Posted February 15, 2007 - 05:14 PM

OEM rims can be purchased at ___________? service honda?

• Potts228

Posted February 15, 2007 - 05:31 PM

Round ones work the best!:censored:
Stock actually dont bend as easy as the fancy ones and are easier to true. Stock ones are probably the most economical, verses the sun, or excell. just buy up all the rims that guys are taking off to put motards on or them fancy gold ones.

My experience is the stock rims are junk! If I look at them wrong they bend. Excels are so much better and I would say a weekend in Baja the stock rims last one ride and the Excels last three. 3 to 1 is worth it to me. Also, the stock rear is actually as wide as a 2.5 and not the 2.15 they claim to be. This width also make it easier to bend I'm sure.

My last 2 cents is check your spokes every ride and keep your wheels true.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 15, 2007 - 08:58 PM

You say when you see a crack the rim is done! I understand eventually it will give, but cant you weld the stress crack. These rims are welded together, not machined out of a solid block.

• nscmj3

Posted February 15, 2007 - 09:23 PM

Just be glad your bending rims, and not cracking hubs!! I'll buy rims over hubs anyday!! Man are those things expensive!!!!

• porterdog

Posted February 16, 2007 - 07:05 AM

Might talk to these guys- they'll upsize your spokes and upgrade your nipples, have a few different lacing patterns, etc... Never used them, but they're popular with the crowd on ADVrider...

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 16, 2007 - 04:16 PM

16 lbs. of air helps too. A new set of rims complete with spokes and hubs laced up are 800 bucks from Service Honda.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.