Xr600 Hotcam Stage 1 & Weisco 11:1 piston??

8 replies to this topic
  • deelong4002

Posted October 17, 2006 - 06:41 PM

I have a 2000 Xr600 with little miles on it. I recently purchased a Hotcam Stage1 for a very good price. I am thinking as long as i have to tear the engine apart i might as well rebuild it and possibly bore it out to 628cc and put a high compression piston. I am wondering if there is enough valve clearance in the piston for the added rise and duration of the cam.

• XRMANU

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:47 AM

Hotcams are a "drop-in" solution,no mods needed. :devil:

• cleonard

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:17 AM

I have been thinking of going to a higher compression piston as well. I just worry about fuel. i know that there is a 10.25:1 piston available. I think that will work with 91 octane premium pump gas. Does anyone know about the 11:1 piston. Is it OK with pump gas, or does it require higher octane race gas?

One reason I ask is that there is a guy on ebay that appears to have a bunch of 11:1 100mm HRC pistons for cheap. Sounds good, but I don't want to have to run expensive race gas.

• deelong4002

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Does anyone know which piston is better Weisco or HRC? Does the 11:1 ratio make that much of a difference over the 9:1 stock compression ratio. Im not looking to do a whole bunch of stuff to my bike that i will have to work on it constantly I have a supertrapp Silencer, and i want to bore it out and put my cam in and possibly buy a header pipe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nate992v

Posted October 19, 2006 - 09:48 PM

Just put the 628 kit with the stage 1 in. Stock compression, for me, was the way to go. I don't want to have to mess with octane booster or race gas out on long rides. As long as it's premium fuel, I'm good to go. It's for race only, go with high compression and race gas. For normal riding with the occasional race thrown in, go with the lower compression. My $.02.

• deelong4002

Posted October 20, 2006 - 02:48 PM

nate992v. Is there a noticable difference in power after the 628 install and the hot cam.

• nate992v

Posted October 23, 2006 - 09:37 PM

It's not going to be night and day. Or rip your arms out of their sockets. But, mid and top definately improved. It has some more grunt down low, too. It's almost 40cc's in difference. Since I had the top end apart anyways, it was worth the money. I wouldn't take a good motor apart to do it, though.

• rmhrc630

Posted October 23, 2006 - 10:53 PM

Does anyone know which piston is better Weisco or HRC? Does the 11:1 ratio make that much of a difference over the 9:1 stock compression ratio. Im not looking to do a whole bunch of stuff to my bike that i will have to work on it constantly I have a supertrapp Silencer, and i want to bore it out and put my cam in and possibly buy a header pipe

Deelong

I run the HRC kit. I recall the old baja designs catalogue saying they preferred the HRC pistons as they were forged?

I run the HRC motor and like it. I think you'll be fine either way.

You do need to be aware that the compression gets bumped considerably.

• cbaranski

Posted October 24, 2006 - 05:53 AM

I own a 96 and I bought it with a rebuilt Al Baker 630 kit already installed. It's 10.50:1 and I use 91 fuel, but I have noticed it'll ping about mid throttle sometimes. I think it could be due to heat as well. Since I do live in AZ and it gets pretty warm in the summer here.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.