Powder Coating Blues. Need Help!!! Long Story!!!

21 replies to this topic
  • BLSBRKR65

Posted October 17, 2006 - 06:04 PM

After a not so thorough research on this forum, I decided to have the frame my '93 Honda XR650L powdercoated. I instructed the shop to make sure that they plug in the holes for the dry sump system. I even brought the dipstick and all the necessary hardware to insure that sand does not get into the frame. They assured me that it was not needed since they were going to plug the holes anyway. They even instructed me to take the dipstick and oil strainer screen home with me. $230 later, i brought the frame home so excited and all. I slowly started to peel the bubble wrap then inspect the work closely that's when i notice that there was fine sand particles inside the sump system:foul: just by sticking my finger in there. Sorry this is getting long...
Anyway panic started to set in :devil: , i then proceeded to rinse the inside of the frame with kerosene just to see if indeed there's sand in the frame. Sure enough there's some sand particles, which is probably silica since it's black sand, coming from the down tube. I have have rinsed it with about a gallon of kerosene:foul: It seems to be clearing out but i'm afraid that i am not getting much into the frame where the gas tank rests. Would it be advisable to rinse it with soap and water let it run till it overflows for about 10-15 minutes then rinse with soap, then kerosene or gasoline, then ATF oil or any oil that is thin enough to go to the crevices. I am thinking about compressed air too, then repeating the entire process again as many times as it takes. I need advice please from the people that know. Please don't tell me that it is hopeless. I am going to the coaters tomorrow to bring my complaint. Obviously they sure don't know what they were doing they just wanted my business. I should have researched more into powder coating and make the decision based on fellow thumpers that have done it not from other opinionated people. But that's the price i pay for not doing the homework!!! Looking forward to meaningful advice from the experts. Thanks in advance!

• frankiewhipit

Posted October 17, 2006 - 06:10 PM

use warm soapy water & rinse real good, continue until clean, pressure wash
(if available).:devil:

• BLSBRKR65

Posted October 17, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the advice. Are you basing it on experience? How do i get the water out? Acetone then compressed air? Doesn't it ruin the paint though?

• pigryder

Posted October 18, 2006 - 04:16 AM

almost nothing will ruin your powder coating, shoot powderman an IM hes ownes a successful PC shop

• gcastor

Posted October 18, 2006 - 04:21 AM

BLSBRKR65 ,
Acetone may weaken the powdercoat some if used. Flush with the water and then blow out with compressed air. Do it a few times to make sure you get everything out. The powder coater should have been alot more careful in his prep. Not all powder coaters are like that. Good luck

• rebelventurer

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:32 AM

Definately do not use acetone, a good pressure washing, if you have one, if not go to the car wash. then dry with compressed air after that it would not hurt to fill with tranny fluid, or even deisel fuel, then drain. Good luck with your powdercoater, he should give you at least a partial refund.
What color did you choose?

• BLSBRKR65

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:59 AM

Got the frame powder coated Sky White to match the original model. I just came from the powder coater, They wouldn't even offer to clean up the frame :devil: nor would they take responsibility. I will try simple green and hot water tonight, then pressure wash it out. Why not acetone? it is quick drying and probably would not mess up the powdercoat. The water needs to come out with the media, i don't think compress air would do it by itself, it needs a solvent to help it evaporate. I'm worried about the acetone though messing up the powdercoat. Thanks for all of the replies, i am looking forward to more.

• gcastor

Posted October 18, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Got the frame powder coated Sky White to match the original model. I just came from the powder coater, They wouldn't even offer to clean up the frame :devil: nor would they take responsibility. I will try simple green and hot water tonight, then pressure wash it out. Why not acetone? it is quick drying and probably would not mess up the powdercoat. The water needs to come out with the media, i don't think compress air would do it by itself, it needs a solvent to help it evaporate. I'm worried about the acetone though messing up the powdercoat. Thanks for all of the replies, i am looking forward to more.

They should have at least gave some kind of refund.

I use acetone to wash down bare metal parts before I powder coat them. It evaporates very quickly so it will not effect my powder. But that was bare metal! I once tried to wipe down a part that was already PC'd with acetone, 2nd coated it, bake it, and it came out terrible. I think the powder coat soaked up some of the acetone and made it soft.

The pressure from a good pressure washing should get most of the junk out for you.
Good luck,

• cleonard

Posted October 18, 2006 - 09:59 AM

You might try something a little less aggressive than acetone. Denatured alcohol will help get the water out as well and is not so harsh.

Even if you don't get every last bit of abrasive out of there, you should be OK. From the frame tube the oil goes to the oil pump, and then into the oil filter. The filter will catch any remaining sand. As long as the sand is not to large it should not hurt the oil pump too much. My oil pump has pumped large tranny gear bits and it is still in good shape.

You might want to replace that oil and filter after the first ride to get that sand out of there.

• babbs

Posted October 18, 2006 - 12:01 PM

I would clean it the best I could, and then change the oil and filter after a minute or two of running........ do that a few times and call it good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted October 18, 2006 - 01:53 PM

Acetone will penetrate and soften the powdercoating, I promise. Will start peeling and will chip easy. You can use plain old rubbing alcohol it will actually absorb water, after the simple green and water rinse, then do a couple of deisel rinses, you will be okay, would not hurt if you changed your oil and filter after 50 miles, also make sure to check the screen in the down tube and make sure its clean. Your powdercoater sucks, they should have made that right, especially after you told him in advance. Word of mouth the best and worst advertising. Post it on ThumperTalk who is it and in what city, etc.. dont use this guy because....
Good luck let us know after you get it back together, post some pics.:devil:

• BLSBRKR65

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:15 PM

Rinsed it with simple green via the modified pressure washer. I took of the nozzle housing on the pressure washer so it would go into the oil filler then used a hose to snake it through the down oil tube and up. agitated it every which way possible, rinsed it at least probably 10 times with water then simple green, then water. I was able to get some more silica sand out from it. Blew compressed air at 120 psi then did several diesel rinses. I have plugged all the holes now and the whole oil tank is filled with diesel. I will let it soak overnight so for the oil tubes not to rust. Do you guys think that leaving the diesel in the oil tank overnight is safe? Thanks in advance!

• Mojave Monster

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:26 PM

Diesel shold be fine but I think I would soak in "cheap" oil. And change the oil AND filter after first warm-up and then maybe every 100 miles for 3 or 4 changes... Better yet, make the yokels at the powder coaters do it for you. Sounds like they messed it up?? Good luck!

• sorenlaf

Posted October 19, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Rinsed it with simple green via the modified pressure washer. I took of the nozzle housing on the pressure washer so it would go into the oil filler then used a hose to snake it through the down oil tube and up. agitated it every which way possible, rinsed it at least probably 10 times with water then simple green, then water. I was able to get some more silica sand out from it. Blew compressed air at 120 psi then did several diesel rinses. I have plugged all the holes now and the whole oil tank is filled with diesel. I will let it soak overnight so for the oil tubes not to rust. Do you guys think that leaving the diesel in the oil tank overnight is safe? Thanks in advance!

I'd keep going with hot water and laundry detergent (simple green is probably okay). This is what all the engine builders I know (2 or 3, cars and bikes) recommend. They tell me the hardest thing about using hot soapy water is convincing their customers that there's nothing better. That's LOTS of hot soapy water. Incidently, it's also the best thing for cleaning a gun barrel that you've shot corrosive ammo through, but again, most people just won't believe it.

The diesel won't hurt anything and should be fine to keep it from rusting, but I don't think it will be that good for removing crud.

I would continue with soap and water until you are not getting any more crud out, and then do at least three more cycles. What you don't want to do is rebuild your engine next month while saying "why didn't I just run some more soap and water through it?"

If you paid by credit card, I'd dispute the charge as they clearly failed to perform.

Oh, who are these idiots? I don't think anyone here wants to do business with them.

• Rideaide

Posted October 19, 2006 - 11:13 AM

Make sure you check the sump screen on the down tube of the frame. I had to rebuild my motor 3 times before all the sand was cleared from the frame. The first two times I didn't check the screen. Very costly Mistake.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted October 19, 2006 - 01:45 PM

Rinsed off all the diesel fluid that was left in there for the last 24 hours. No sand particles seen on the bottom of the bucket... Hooray! Just to be on the safe side i will proceed with several water and dishwashing detergent rinse this time. Blow it out wth compressed air, then fill it with cheap oil until the engine is ready to be put back into the frame. I will keep you guys posted. In the meantime i will be filling a complaint to the management or somewhere else regarding the P.C botch job.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 19, 2006 - 02:44 PM

Rinsed off all the diesel fluid that was left in there for the last 24 hours. No sand particles seen on the bottom of the bucket... Hooray! Just to be on the safe side i will proceed with several water and dishwashing detergent rinse this time. Blow it out wth compressed air, then fill it with cheap oil until the engine is ready to be put back into the frame. I will keep you guys posted. In the meantime i will be filling a complaint to the management or somewhere else regarding the P.C botch job.

Be sure and show someone at that shop this thread. They are coming acrross as a real 'bad business' outfit. I'd like to know who/where they are so I can avoid them.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 19, 2006 - 03:01 PM

Dawn dishwashing detergent eats oil like crazy. Once youve cut the remaining oil (if there is any) the sand should rinse out.

As soon as I read "powder coat" I knew exactly what this thread was about. Guys with YZF'f have been dealing with this crap for ever too. Even powder coaters that care still get sand in the sump. How, I dont know. Ive seen how they mask them off and Ive got no idea how that stuff could get in there...

Just take a roll of quarters to the car wash, pull all the plugs and lines and start spraying! (sounds like you got it licked though)

• rebelventurer

Posted October 19, 2006 - 06:30 PM

When your through with the water, put your plugs back and pour some rubbing alcohol in, it will absorb the remaining water, drain next morning or a couple hours later pull that downtube screen one more time, check it, then when you get your motor back you should be good to go, just not too far, then change oil and filter, hell check that downtube screen then too. and ride:ride:
Post your powdercoaters name and address, phone number too. I will call him and say I have 300 atv a arms i need powdercoated. then a few days later I'LL call back and say I heard some bad things about his work and not wanting to be responsible for what he screwed up. I sent the a arms somewhere else.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted November 02, 2006 - 06:29 PM

Still no admission of at least some responsibility from powdercoater. All you riders out there please do your homework first on powdercoating unless you want to go through what i had to...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.