xr600 top end rebuild ?

4 replies to this topic
  • litng1

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:09 PM

Can u put rings and piston in a 92 xr600 with out removing motor.Thanks guys.

• cleonard

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Yes you can. It's a tight fit, but the cylinder head cover will come off with the bike in the frame. After that the rest comes apart with lots of room. Take the tank off and wash the bike so no dust or dirt will fall into the engine when it's apart.

When you have the cylinder off, look in the crankcase and see what the tranny gears look like. You can see most of them from the hole. I ended up replacing a couple of gears because they looked really bad.

I found it is a lot easier to get the cam chain on if you take the right side cover off. It likes to slip off the bottom sprocket and it's hard to get it back on with the cover in place. It also makes it easier to get the tensioner back in too.

When I did my bike, I didn't do the cam chain. A month later it started making lots of chain slapping noise. The tensioner was shot. I had to take it apart again and I replaced the tensioner and the cam chain.

Check the valves in the head for leaks when it's apart. The valves are usually the first thing to go on a 600. A simple test it to spray some carb cleaner in the intake and the exhaust. A little will seep through even if it's good. If a lot goes through then that valve needs to be fixed too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jon-D

Posted October 17, 2006 - 04:17 PM

A leak down test is another way to tell if your vavles/rings are bad without tearing apart the motor.

cleonard, do you happen to know if the 91-2000 600R's have to be re-bored during a rebuild or can you simply replace the rings? I seem to recall that the cylinder is nicksil (not sure of the spelling).

• cleonard

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:11 AM

A leak down test is another way to tell if your vavles/rings are bad without tearing apart the motor.

cleonard, do you happen to know if the 91-2000 600R's have to be re-bored during a rebuild or can you simply replace the rings? I seem to recall that the cylinder is nicksil (not sure of the spelling).

I'm not 100% sure of the years, but I think that 88 thru 90 were Nikasil. Before and after that, the cylinder is a steel sleeve and can be bored. When I took my 93 apart because of oil blowing out the crankcase breather, the rings were wasted. It has a steel sleeve. The ring end gap was like .125. I didn't even measure it, I just laughed. The max is much smaller. Something like .025, but I'm not sure. My piston measured fine, very little wear. Same with the bore. The piston to bore clearance was just about like new. Well within spec. Same with bore taper and out of round. Because of that, I just replaced the rings.

• litng1

Posted October 18, 2006 - 10:38 AM

Thanks guys

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.