Breaking In A New Xr 650 L

21 replies to this topic
  • ryancycle

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:53 PM

hey yall my names ryan from tx. im bout to buy a XR 650 L and wanted to know about how many times i have to change my oil when i buy it ... (1 time after 20 mi? and then every 1200?) in eed guidance.

• cleonard

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:40 PM

hey yall my names ryan from tx. im bout to buy a XR 650 L and wanted to know about how many times i have to change my oil when i buy it ... (1 time after 20 mi? and then every 1200?) in eed guidance.

I'm sure that there will be lots of different opinions, so I'll start.

I'd say 20 miles might be a bit to soon, maybe 60 or so for that first oil change. While I'm sure that lots of people do go as long as 1200 miles between changes, I change my oil much more frequently than that. I don't keep precise track, but I think that I change mine every 300 or 400 miles at most. I use the cheaper Rotella oil so it's cheap to change it. If I were running $12 a quart ester oil I might go 1000 miles.

I change my filter every second or third oil change. I use the $3 aftermarket filters.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Welcome to the club! You will soon love your new bike!

I just got a brand new L and followed the 600 mile suggestion by Honda and did my first oil and filter change at 630miles !

The oil was dirty as hell and i wish i had changed it sooner!!!

I plan on running reg oil and will change it every 500 or so with a filter change every other time!

p.s. i am loving this new bike and happy i made the decision on the L

• nxridge

Posted October 17, 2006 - 11:23 AM

I did my first oil change when my bike was new at 600 miles like the manual said.
Oil was clean as new.

I change the oil every 1000-1500 miles depending on how the bike
was ridden in those miles.

have never had the oil come out without a golden tint , ive always felt
the oil could have gone longer between changes by the way it looks coming out.

• justicedone

Posted October 17, 2006 - 02:12 PM

Kev'

I would suggest running a full synthetic on your next change. I run Mobil 1 because I can get it right up the street. It runs much cooler, smoother and has a bit more power. You can just tell its much better for the air-cooled lung.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 17, 2006 - 04:54 PM

Kev'

I would suggest running a full synthetic on your next change. I run Mobil 1 because I can get it right up the street. It runs much cooler, smoother and has a bit more power. You can just tell its much better for the air-cooled lung.

Thanks Jim

Yeah, i run synthetic in everything i own, but i am concerned that the Owners Manual SPECIFICALLY says not to use it and bla bla bla. I am still up in the air on this one. Mobil also has a full synthetic "Motorcyle Blend" that is supposed to be better for the clutchs and yadda yadda. I am still looking at all my avenues, but i am kinda a freak about following certain recommendations from the manufacture.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 17, 2006 - 04:54 PM

I did my first oil change when my bike was new at 600 miles like the manual said.
Oil was clean as new.

Weird, mine was dirty as hell! I wonder why that is! :devil:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted October 17, 2006 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Jim

Yeah, i run synthetic in everything i own, but i am concerned that the Owners Manual SPECIFICALLY says not to use it and bla bla bla. I am still up in the air on this one. Mobil also has a full synthetic "Motorcyle Blend" that is supposed to be better for the clutchs and yadda yadda. I am still looking at all my avenues, but i am kinda a freak about following certain recommendations from the manufacture.

The mobil oil for our bikes is called MX4T and it cost me $12-13 a quart so i went to the honda HP-4 witch i can tell is not quite as good as the mobil but is half the price. The Hp-4 is semi-senthetic i belive. The best oil i have used in my 650 was amsoil motorcycle blend. It was also costly but the bike noticbly shifted better. I am sticking with honda oil form now on. I just can make myself think rottela is good for our bikes. Just opinion.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 17, 2006 - 07:06 PM

The mobil oil for our bikes is called MX4T

Anyone using this? The regular Mobil 1 Syn has additives and is labeled as "Energy Conserving" which the manual says that it shouldnt be used. I dont really know why, i use it in everything i own! What is different in the bike?

Anyone using MX4T? Or others?

• 650_shark

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:11 AM

When I bought my 06 XR650L, the mechanic at the shop told me to change the oil at 300 miles, then at 600 mi. After that I've been changing it about every 1000 mi give or take. I have about 4200mi thus far and oil looks fine every oil change, I use the Honda GN4.

DO people change there oil more frequently when riding off road in dusty type conditions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tirebiter

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:18 AM

Anyone using this? The regular Mobil 1 Syn has additives and is labeled as "Energy Conserving" which the manual says that it shouldnt be used. I dont really know why, i use it in everything i own! What is different in the bike?

I use MX4T in my L, and have been using it for years in other bikes. Nice stuff. 7~8 buck range at Auto Zone..

• goblin127

Posted October 18, 2006 - 05:19 AM

Thats why mobil one has a specific motorcycle synthetic oil that does not use the energy conserving label. It is specific to wet clutch motorcycles only.

• spotsboss

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Boston,
"Energy Conserving" means that it has additives that make it extra slippery. Since your oil feeds your clutch as well as your engine, you can see the problem. You don't want your clutch to slip!
Stick with a quality oil that says it's for "Wet Clutch 4 Stroke Motorcycles."

:devil:

• TDC71

Posted October 18, 2006 - 12:24 PM

welcome to the forums, youll get alot of different opinions on this question, but I'd say 300 for the first one, take it to a 1000 on the odo for the second one and change the filter at both of those due to metal particals being shed from break in. then no more than a 1000 miles on normal oil, and 1500 on synthetic oil. I'd wait to 1500 miles before switching to synthetic so you know the engine is completely broke in unless you like to peg it out alot then you could start at 1000 miles. I change the oil every 1500 with shell rotella synthetic, single cylinder engeins are hard on the oil especially since it goes through the tranny which destroys the molecules then you also have the clutch which deposits some material into the oil from friction. Sorry for the novel, but oil is critical and alot of factors have to be considered. and 20 miles is too soon keep to at least 300. Have fun with the beast and keep reading this forum, these guys are smart and willing to help as much as they can.

Todd

• justicedone

Posted October 18, 2006 - 02:25 PM

Sorry I wasnt more specific...my bad. But the guys set the record straight. As far as the manual...ehemmmm

HardlyDavidsons manuals for years said DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OILS !!!!

Then they released thier own brand, and what do you guess? Please run ony our over-priced HD brand Full Synthetic oils...

its all hype, use what works and keep the level proper. My Windstar trans went south on Mon AM...so I am commuting my L all week. Get home pretty fast though..LOL But I hate wearing out a good knobbie commuting !!!

• nxridge

Posted October 18, 2006 - 03:20 PM

If im off roading alot of miles , i will change a bit sooner than if its all road miles

I have 4200 on my 06 also :devil:

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 18, 2006 - 04:30 PM

Boston,
"Energy Conserving" means that it has additives that make it extra slippery. Since your oil feeds your clutch as well as your engine, you can see the problem. You don't want your clutch to slip!
Stick with a quality oil that says it's for "Wet Clutch 4 Stroke Motorcycles."
:devil:

Gotcha! So i take it that the L is a "wet clutch" ?????

If thats the case, i am going to switch to it (the Mobil Bike stuff) at 1500 miles once its broken in for sure!

Thanks guys!

P.S. This SOUNDS good: http://mobiloil.com/..._4T_10W-40.aspx

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 19, 2006 - 05:56 AM

LOTS of dicussion, contention, opinion, and even facts regarding oil...

Bottom line, if you use a reasonable viscosity, decent oil, and change it at sensible intervals, your engines will be fine.

For the morbidly curious, there's sites like Bob's. Grab a cup of coffee, or a few beers, and hunker down: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

• dialbore

Posted September 05, 2009 - 08:05 AM

Hi,
The age old oil topic still goes on. I run syn in everything I have also, I believe in changing oil as often as it makes YOU feel good. With the xr650L I think you must consider 2 things, dust and heat. Both will ruin a oil. So to carry on with the tradition, change it as often as you like, but ALWAYS change the filter.
This is not the time to get cheap.
Oh by the way, its great to be a member of this group!

• Bibleman

Posted September 05, 2009 - 04:11 PM

Oil was clean as new.

I change the oil every 1000-1500 miles depending on how the bike
was ridden in those miles.

have never had the oil come out without a golden tint , ive always felt
the oil could have gone longer between changes by the way it looks coming out.

Ditto here. I had my oil analyzed by Blackstone with 1k miles on the cheap Rotella and they said all is fine and to let the oil go longer.:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.