EBC brake rotors. Any good?

6 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted October 16, 2006 - 10:20 AM

I'm replacing the stock front/rear brake rotors. Are EBC rotors any good?
XR650r

• HawkGT

Posted October 16, 2006 - 11:30 AM

I've got the EBC big rotor kit on my XR650R. It was definitely an improvement over stock (but still not enough for stupid fast street riding). I'm quite hard on it. I've run two other EBC rotors--on a street bike (front/rear)--with zero issues.

The big EBC front rotor is maybe not quite as reliable as stock--I'm thinking floater buttons here, not the braking surface--but I still expect years of service. The standard EBC front replacement is likely non-floating, so there'd be no buttons to worry about. I see little reason to spend the extra $$ on OEM.

just $0.02

• slowxr

Posted October 31, 2006 - 07:27 PM

FYI. I replaced both my front and rear disks with the EBC brand. The rear is a perfect match.
The front fit good but didn't allow for the black "dust cover" to be reinstalled over the hub. Is this a problem?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gaspipe

Posted November 01, 2006 - 11:57 AM

The big EBC front rotor is maybe not quite as reliable as stock--I'm thinking floater buttons here, not the braking surface--but I still expect years of service.

FWIW, I have over 10,000 dirt miles on the EBC 280mm disc, and it's doing just fine. I bent my rear rotor somewhere in Nevada or Oregon this summer, and replaced it with a Braking wave rotor.

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 01, 2006 - 04:12 PM

I am running a 320 EBC on my 650R motard. Good price, good quality, no issues in 2 years.

Will probably go to a 280 on my factory front rim when I switch out my motard rims this month for factory rims and DS tires, for winter riding. EBC will be my first choice.

EBC rotors are not as fancy-schmancy as some other aftermarket suppliers but they're not as expensive either. Works for me.

• BWB63

Posted November 01, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Floating rotors are a good thing. I have never heard of "floater buttons" being a problem. They work better when they loosen up some. Longer pad life, less drag, less heat.....all good!

Posted Image

• InternalCombustion

Posted November 01, 2006 - 04:33 PM

If you're going to replace the rotors anyway I'd go the extra 10% or so in cost and upsize to a 280 in front.

My two cents.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.