07 Sprocket, Bolts, or Hub Failure

54 replies to this topic
  • YamieRider411

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:12 AM

I went riding on Sunday at a local track in Macon (ICR). My third time out I was going through a banking turn and as I accelerated out of the turn I felt my back tire lock up… I though maybe I had broken a chain. To my surprise the back sprocket had ripped off the hub. Being a new bike and because of good maintenance habits, the day before I checked every bolt to make sure they were good and tight. In addition, before I went out that third time I didn’t notice any bolts missing when I lubed the chain. After looking at it closely, there are no signs of sprocket waller. I’m thinking the bolts sheered off. Unfortunately because of the sandy track conditions and the amount of bikes, I could not locate any of the bolts. I did fine a piece of the hub though. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• DPW

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:25 AM

Did you use any loctite on the sprocket bolts? Before I rode my '06 I removed the sprocket bolts and put blue loctite on the threads and the underside of the head of the bolt. Usually after a moto I will grab the trusty 12MM wrench and double check the bolts...better to be safe then sorry.

When you lubed the chain did you check the bolts to see if they were tight?

• no air charlie

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:53 AM

Pull the rear wheel and look at the back side of the swing arm. If there is a big scratch or gouge in the same location as the sprocket bolts most likely they came loose. I had the same thing happen a few years ago with an 03. Once the bolts get loose the torque of the engine sheers them off.

• at_ecd

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:23 AM

This issue is unexceptable. I mean not taking sides here but my honda never had this problem nor have I even heard of it from hardly anyone other than a 06-07 yz450f owner. Whats up with that? Has anyone tried to resolve this with a dealer or Yamaha or anything like that? I would be pissed off...

I plan on getting an 07 yz450 next year but this issue kinda freaks me out.

• grayracer513

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:08 AM

I have a question:

If there were no bolts missing, how is it that the sprocket came all the way off, yet only one of the 5 mounting tabs was pulled off the hub flange?

If you walked into a shop of mine with that story, I wouldn't warranty it, based on the pictures you have. It has the clear appearance of 4 of 5 bolts having been gone when it broke.

• WFOracer

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:18 AM

If you walked into a shop of mine with that story, I wouldn't warranty it, based on the pictures you have.

YOU shouldn't warranty it....Yamaha should. It's a fricken '07....it's been out for 3 weeks maybe. Give the guy a break. Plus, this has occured on a handful of other TT member's bikes ('06 and now '07). I cannot vouch for any of these people's technical ability, but this should not happen since he stated that he checked all the bolts.

I do find it highly unlikely that the bolts did shear off. Plus the only way for the bolt to shear off is if they were loose. The sprocket is held to the hub by means of friction generated by the clamping force of the bolts.

• grayracer513

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:48 AM

If he can produce 5 sheared or broken bolts, that's different. If not, it still looks like what it looks like.

As for warranty not being a dealer's responsibility, when you sign up to sell new vehicles of any kind, you agree to be the manufacturer's agent in matters involving warranties. You are required to evaluate the validity of customer's warranty claims and repair only those problems that fall within the manufacturer's terms. When the warranty rep comes around to look over the failed parts you've replaced, and finds any that he thinks you should not have repaired, he charges you, not the customer, for the repair. That's the way it works. If I were a dealer, the most that hub would get would be a request for inspection and evaluation by the Yamaha factory rep. They might decide to fix it, but don't count on it.

• SCIENCE

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:52 AM

I have a question:

If there were no bolts missing, how is it that the sprocket came all the way off, yet only one of the 5 mounting tabs was pulled off the hub flange?

If you walked into a shop of mine with that story, I wouldn't warranty it, based on the pictures you have. It has the clear appearance of 4 of 5 bolts having been gone when it broke.

Have to agree w/Gray. It's a bummer that it broke, but if you didn't have loc-tite on the bolts then the tourque more than likely loosend a a few and broke off the rest.
Call me anal, but every bike I've had going back close to 30 years has had threadlocker on the sprocket bolts and I check them repeatedly. I have found many loose over the years w/Loc-Tite on them (especially my last 2 CRF450R's). I ride w/ a guy who was a top 100 National rider years ago and you would swear he has a 12mm in his hand before every moto and/or ride.

• WFOracer

Posted October 16, 2006 - 09:04 AM

If he can produce 5 sheared or broken bolts, that's different. If not, it still looks like what it looks like.

As for warranty not being a dealer's responsibility, when you sign up to sell new vehicles of any kind, you agree to be the manufacturer's agent in matters involving warranties. You are required to evaluate the validity of customer's warranty claims and repair only those problems that fall within the manufacturer's terms. When the warranty rep comes around to look over the failed parts you've replaced, and finds any that he thinks you should not have repaired, he charges you, not the customer, for the repair. That's the way it works. If I were a dealer, the most that hub would get would be a request for inspection and evaluation by the Yamaha factory rep. They might decide to fix it, but don't count on it.

I wouldn't blame a dealer for wanting a rep to inspect it first. Hopefully he keeps us up to date on the status of this. I am curious to see how Yamaha handles this situation.

• YamieRider411

Posted October 16, 2006 - 09:08 AM

This is the third time I've rode this bike since I purchased it two weeks ago... Let me say again for the cheap seats that the day before I rode I check every nut and bolt on this bike. Nothing was loose. Yes I checked the sprocket bolts. I normally don't trust my life or limb to others. During practice I don't check nuts and bolts because I've done it the day before. I did however look at the sprocket before I rode that third time. No missing bolts. I've been riding for 16 years and nothing has happen to my bikes like this before.

I know how to keep my bikes tip top... Image someone buying this bike that didn't check anything... Having said that, this still shouldn't be a problem on the third time out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WFOracer

Posted October 16, 2006 - 09:45 AM

This is the third time I've rode this bike since I purchased it two weeks ago... Let me say again for the cheap seats that the day before I rode I check every nut and bolt on this bike. Nothing was loose. Yes I checked the sprocket bolts. I normally don't trust my life or limb to others. During practice I don't check nuts and bolts because I've done it the day before. I did however look at the sprocket before I rode that third time. No missing bolts. I've been riding for 16 years and nothing has happen to my bikes like this before.

I know how to keep my bikes tip top... Image someone buying this bike that didn't check anything... Having said that, this still shouldn't be a problem on the third time out.

I agree 100% with you. I feel Yamaha should stand behind you.

on a side not: It's good to hear that you were not injured during this. I could only imagine if this happened in the whoops or going up the face of a jump!

• SICKM

Posted October 16, 2006 - 10:52 AM

I feel your pain, I was riding a friends 04 when the same thing happened, but his was down to a poorly maintained bike. I got my 07 three weeks ago, and went over every bolt on the bike but did not check the spokes. The bike has maybe 1 hour on it and I have had 3 flats on the rear and lost One spoke. When I did check the spokes the rears were finger tight at the best, with most of them about to fall off.

• kyle450rider

Posted October 16, 2006 - 11:09 AM

sorry to hear about your hub.I hope you get it replaced so you can continue to ride.

• obermeyer

Posted October 16, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Looks like the chain was thrown off and caused the breakage. Was it the stock chain. Call me with your vin# I will help you if YOUR dealer won't.
Pm me.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 16, 2006 - 01:41 PM

Damn James, I was heading to ICR but chose to go to Big Cedar yesterday.....
James first - It sux that this happened and your dealer should warranty it - 30day rule...
This has been a reoccurring issue for various reasons over the years....it also happened to me at Bremen on my 03 due to sprocket bolts that magically loosened.
On the 06 and now the 07...I would say there is a inherent problem. We all here have seen cases of the drive side rear bearing loosening up and spinning as well as several hub failures. I have somehow avoided both of these issues as of today and my only explanation is one of 3 things
1. Some hubs that were cast are defective or the bearing sizes varied
2. Some could have been caused by too tight a chain - I only go by my 3 finger rule for tightness at just under or just over 2inches
3. Sprocket bolts on all yamaha 450s need to be locktited with Red locktite and must cure for 12-24hrs before any use.

So this is my opinion and although to me it is totally unexceptable that yamaha may have a problem, they have yet to admit it! But to be completely fair, I have yet to see one person log calls to Yamaha to issue a tech bulletin....and until the masses of people like you do this...we are all peeing in the wind....

If yamaha will not warranty- maybe now it will be easier to buy those spiffy bling bling wheelsets :devil:

• at_ecd

Posted October 16, 2006 - 01:43 PM

I feel your pain, I was riding a friends 04 when the same thing happened, but his was down to a poorly maintained bike. I got my 07 three weeks ago, and went over every bolt on the bike but did not check the spokes. The bike has maybe 1 hour on it and I have had 3 flats on the rear and lost One spoke. When I did check the spokes the rears were finger tight at the best, with most of them about to fall off.

You are supposed to tighten the spokes before and after your first ride. That spoke that fell out was probably your flat tire problem.

• SICKM

Posted October 16, 2006 - 02:32 PM

My first two rides were less than 5 min each. I new to check them but did not till the third ride. Should have knowen better.

• 02YZ426

Posted October 16, 2006 - 02:45 PM

This is what I think happened.. You didn't loctite those bolts, You went out for a ride and some of the bolts backed off and fell out. Then your hub snapped. The locknuts that yamaha used in some cases didn't do their job. This is yet another lesson for everybody to learn.. Go take your sprocket bolts out and loctite them while you still can! Mine came loose last weekend... damn near busted the hub too. Loctite is the cure for all this madness. I got off lucky this time... but I was like alot of others out there that thought "oh, my sprocket bolts are tight, I don't need to loctite them" But you do. I'm sure its only a matter of a time before this happens to another unsuspecting victim. This topic should be made a sticky. My 2 cents.

• YamieRider411

Posted October 16, 2006 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for your feedback… I know I’ve learned a valuable lesson here. :devil: I’m going to loctite ever bolt include my butt on the seat. I will talk with Mr. Martin down at Capital Cycle and see if he or Yamaha will help me out since the Bike is only two weeks old. It probably won’t get me anywhere, but I will give it a go… Ga426owner you’re correct, maybe it’s time to invest in some nice new Talon blue hubs. I was going to bling this baby out anyway. Got my x-mas list ready to go…

My only nagging thought is that if I purchased a car and the wheel fell off after the third drive, the dealer would work with me to fix it… As much as I spend on parts in a year, you’d think they cut me some slack… I guess I shouldn’t cry over spilt milk…

• Troutman

Posted October 16, 2006 - 03:29 PM

If the bolts sheared off wouldn't the stems still be in the hub? They are not. I looks as if they were gone to begin with or all 5 fell out during your last ride. Hmmmmmmm. Either way they should not fall out to begin with and I think Yamaha should help you out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.