CRF450 Forks on an "L"

8 replies to this topic
  • wattner

Posted October 16, 2006 - 04:52 AM

I have purchased a set of forks, wheel, brake, brakeline, etc...From a CRF450, and I have a top clamp that is modified as well. I thought I read about simply removing the steering stem and swapping out and everything would work. After going to a machine shop, I discovered that the stems are different diameter at the base... The mod I read about must have been for an "R". Has anyone done this mod, and if so, would you please share what remedy you chose to get this job complete? I have e-mailed Emig and awaiting their price and turn around time for the whole assembly. I would rather get this done today, without all of the expense of the emig unit....

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:51 AM

I don't know where you may have read that CRF forks were a bolt on for the R or L but it aint true! The early CR forks either 125, 250, and 500 CR forks from about 88~90 or so are a dirrect bolt on. And both the XR600R and XR650L are the same steering stem mount.

• mgs781

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:56 AM

You need to make reducer bushings for the top and bottom clamps. The stem also needs to be turned down a little bit on the bottom side. Any machine shop should be able to handle this. Bring them the parts and explain what you are trying to do. Probably cost a few hours labour.

I have done it to my XRL.

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 16, 2006 - 09:03 AM

How is the speedo converted over to the CR forks & wheel?
Thanx,
Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CrashTestDummyTraveler

Posted October 16, 2006 - 10:02 AM

The XR650L (and XR600) use a 26mm ID / 47mm OD top and bottom bearing on the steering stem.

The CRF uses a 30/52 bearing top and bottom

One option that might help would be to use a 32906 (30/47) bearing top and bottom on the CRF stem.

Don't know if the stem is the right length, just that would get the bearings to all fit.

By the way, the XR650R uses a 26/47 top and 30/52 bottom bearings.

• rmhrc630

Posted October 16, 2006 - 11:43 AM

I've done the CRF450R fork on the XR628 - probably same dimensions as the XR650L.

http://i26.photobuck...00hybrid003.jpg

What yo uneed to do is retain the CRF stem in the lower CRF triple. Then machine down the CRF stem so that the XR bearings fit on and over it.

Finally a thread needs cutting on the top part so that the XR hardware goes on.

There is no bearing made with the extra internal diameter and relatively smalller external diameter.

Bottom line - retain XR bearings, use CRF triples and clamp and you're away!!!

For the steering stop I had this done:

http://i26.photobuck...00hybrid001.jpg

• Huffa 2

Posted October 16, 2006 - 02:33 PM

I have a good question for all you fork conversion guys. In every thread about switching them I don't think I ever heard any talk of concern over how it changes the rake and trail, how much more travel it has, how it helps OR upsets the geometry of the bike, whether it steers worse or better, if the front end is TOO ridgid now (there is such a thing) and transmits a bit more vibration then the stock ones did, if it makes the rear squat more and feel softer since the weight bias is I believe more %tage on the rea now, blah,blah and blah.

I mean Honda must spend so much on R & D on a lot of what I mentioned and then you turn around and slap on some that might make the bike worse in certain situations. The CRF forls are dampened for huge tripples and doubles so i would think the dampning , spring rate would also be quite a bit out of ballpark.

Just wanted to get that across and see if any one else thinks along those lines.

On the modified Baja ones, did Honda ever use them or that type on any of theirs?

• rebelventurer

Posted October 16, 2006 - 03:05 PM

Huffa, some good questions there! I would like to know the after effects too! One question I can answer is No Honda has never raced the R and certainly not the L with upside down forks or crf based fork components!
And this guy has it right with his bearing sizes etc... you know who you are!

The XR650L (and XR600) use a 26mm ID / 47mm OD top and bottom bearing on the steering stem.

The CRF uses a 30/52 bearing top and bottom

One option that might help would be to use a 32906 (30/47) bearing top and bottom on the CRF stem.

Don't know if the stem is the right length, just that would get the bearings to all fit.

By the way, the XR650R uses a 26/47 top and 30/52 bottom bearings.

• rmhrc630

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:53 PM

I have a good question for all you fork conversion guys. In every thread about switching them I don't think I ever heard any talk of concern over how it changes the rake and trail, how much more travel it has, how it helps OR upsets the geometry of the bike, whether it steers worse or better, if the front end is TOO ridgid now (there is such a thing) and transmits a bit more vibration then the stock ones did, if it makes the rear squat more and feel softer since the weight bias is I believe more %tage on the rea now, blah,blah and blah.

I mean Honda must spend so much on R & D on a lot of what I mentioned and then you turn around and slap on some that might make the bike worse in certain situations. The CRF forls are dampened for huge tripples and doubles so i would think the dampning , spring rate would also be quite a bit out of ballpark.

Just wanted to get that across and see if any one else thinks along those lines.

On the modified Baja ones, did Honda ever use them or that type on any of theirs?

USDs are all good

Scott Summers all through the 90s used White power USDs on his XR600.

They only benefit you. All bikes hould have them.

Change them now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.