Ideas for heat shield for '01 YZ426

5 replies to this topic
  • KD123

Posted October 16, 2006 - 03:35 AM

Can anyone please suggest a simple heat shield design/material to stop heat from the header from boiling the coolant at idle? I'd like to stop along a trail for 30 seconds or so at idle without loosing coolant. I also worry about heat damage to the rubber radiator hose that's so close to the header. There's various insulation materials that could be wrapped around the header pipe, but this would look pretty tacky. I'm wondering if there are some other more clever things that others have used. Thanks.

• 642MX

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:26 AM

The coolant boils out because there is no air flowing thru the radiators. Just shut it off if you want to take a break.

• grayracer513

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:26 AM

You could run the pipe out of the back of the head and it wouldn't change anything. The pipe is not the cause.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KD123

Posted October 19, 2006 - 04:46 PM

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. I've seen blow-by out the radiator cap within 15 seconds of starting up a cold engine. The header is within 1/4" of the bottom of the radiator, and I think that focal area of heat steams things up quickly, builds a quick spike of pressure, and blows a little fluid. Air flow of course is the trick. I just wondered if anyone knew of something that would act as a heat shield for those times when I want to stop for a minute on a trail, or work for a short while on the carb with the engine at idle.

Thanks again.

Kevin
Encinitas, CA

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2006 - 08:10 AM

Trust me on this; there is no way that a 1 1/4" pipe heated to 900 degrees and placed 1/4" from the bottom of the radiator is capable of heating roughly two quarts of water to 260 degrees in 2 minutes.

You may want to evaluate your coolant and your radiator cap.

• Fastest1

Posted October 20, 2006 - 11:06 AM

Trust me on this; there is no way that a 1 1/4" pipe heated to 900 degrees and placed 1/4" from the bottom of the radiator is capable of heating roughly two quarts of water to 260 degrees in 2 minutes.

You may want to evaluate your coolant and your radiator cap.

He speaks the truth. I would go and tell you a story about my rebellion against the gas company years ago. Since I endured a winter with no gas, I tried many ways to heat water rapidly. It would take an incredible source of heat to boil water that fast from such a small surface area (I ended up paying my bill and enjoying hot water showers again. Are you filling your radiator to the rim each ride? Overfilling will cause a burp that quickly. Does it do it every time or only after you fill it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.