has anyone shaved their seat foam?

9 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 15, 2006 - 11:19 PM

Has anyone had any good result with shaving their seat foam. I am considering doing so.

I am a desert rider. There are times when I simply need to get a foot (or two) on the ground.

Has anyone had any success with shaving the seat down. An inch would make a big difference in tough terrain.

I do not plan to have the suspension lowered. I ride standing up most of the time and only need to get a foot down during difficult situations.

• gspy4u

Posted October 16, 2006 - 12:37 AM

Did mine a few weeks ago. Got sick of the tippie toe shuffle I was doing.

Used a saw blade and then a rasper to smooth it all out. Worked a treat. Could feel the rails a little (I thought) but after a few long rides both on and off road I didn't really have a sore backside.

Still thinking about a Guts seat though at standard height but soft compound. Not sure if it will sag enough to feel as low as the cut one though.

Just used a staple gun to refix the cover and it looks like oem.

• Audun

Posted October 16, 2006 - 02:52 AM

Im 185cm tall, but the previous ovner was close to 120cm or something!:devil: So yes, my seat is shaved.. Looks bad, but its ok for riding SuperMoto, and when Ive got my motocross wheels on I almost cant reach the ground, so in the dunes I would guess its a good idea.

The downside is that the seat gets pretty darn hard, and for me everything closer than 5m gets kind of blury because of the viberations..

• 642MX

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:46 AM

We had a automotive trim shop shave my wifes seat down. They Replaced the foam with softer stuff and replaced the cover for $70.

• kobernik

Posted October 16, 2006 - 12:14 PM

My friend shaved the foam for better leg reach. Worked well for him. Says the seat rails feel hard and are a bit annoying.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Punisher660

Posted October 16, 2006 - 02:30 PM

DONT DO IT!
Mine was shaved before I got the bike (Used 04WR)

It is like a rock now and after long rides it hurts to sit.
I'm too cheap (and broke) to replace it and figured it keeps me standing more anyway, but oh man, what I would give for even a stock seat!

• Birdy426

Posted October 16, 2006 - 09:50 PM

I have both a shaved seat and a stock seat for my WR. I run the stock seat for desert, and the shaved seat for tight stuff like Kennedy Meadows. I can't tell a whole lot of difference in the hardness department...my butt's sore after a full weekend of riding in either case. Where I find a difference is in how much I stand. It's more work to transition fro sitting to standing with the shaved seat, and the seat to footpeg distance is noticeably shorter when seated.

I much prefer the stock seat, but when I know the terrain is going to be nasty, I run the cut seat.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 16, 2006 - 11:01 PM

I have both a shaved seat and a stock seat for my WR. I run the stock seat for desert, and the shaved seat for tight stuff like Kennedy Meadows. I can't tell a whole lot of difference in the hardness department...my butt's sore after a full weekend of riding in either case. Where I find a difference is in how much I stand. It's more work to transition fro sitting to standing with the shaved seat, and the seat to footpeg distance is noticeably shorter when seated.

I much prefer the stock seat, but when I know the terrain is going to be nasty, I run the cut seat.

so maybe that's the answer. Two seats.... hmmmm

• billygoat

Posted October 17, 2006 - 08:26 PM

I hated my shaved down seat I had to buy another one. I'll sell you the blasted thing for $15 bucks if you want to try it. I paid too much money having a custom seat cover made for it, too. Learn from me - don't cut your only seat.

• Birdy426

Posted October 17, 2006 - 09:13 PM

so maybe that's the answer. Two seats.... hmmmm

Yup...it works for me. Watch eBay, and you can find that second seat to cut pretty darn cheap!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.