XL600R Blown Decompression Chamber

2 replies to this topic
  • Adam1414

Posted October 15, 2006 - 08:11 PM

I was wondering if anyone remembers on the early xr's and the later xl's the strange decompression chamber that could be accessed on one side of the head via allen bolts and a side panel. Well, I just rebuilt an XL600R, I got it started for the first time, (I didn't have the secondary decompression line which runs from the head down to a lever arm by the kick start) I rode it around the block one time and I was cruising along a low rpms when I saw the paint on decompression chamber melt followed quickly by the aluminum melting their and the engine loosing all its compression. I am completely lost as to what happened. What is this chamber for? What might have caused the this tremendous exhaust pressure to buid up their? THank YOu, I appreciate any incite.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 16, 2006 - 07:05 AM

Never heard of that! Maybe it was rnning very lean? Not having the cable to the kick start lever hooked up did not do it because that cable is just for the automatic part of the process. If you have a manual lever on the bars youdont need to hook up that one by the kick starter.

• cleonard

Posted October 16, 2006 - 09:55 AM

If I remember correctly, there is a fifth valve in the head leading to that chamber. The idea is that for starting the valve is opened and the extra combustion chamber volume lowers the compression ratio and makes starting easier. It's only supposed to be open when kicking and closed the rest of the time. It sounds like the valve is staying/stuck open and hot combustion gasses are getting in there.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.