building and armoring an xr650r

21 replies to this topic
  • simon@vic

Posted October 15, 2006 - 06:37 PM

hello all.

i just got my self a "like new" xr650r {400km on it}. I'm building it up a bit for a 40 day off road touring trip in Mexico.

here is my parts list so far:

-xr650r
-risers
-pro tapers
-bark busters
-skid plate
-rad braces
-foot pegs
-trail tech vapor + case
-24l {60 gal} tank
-hand made DS kit

i have a few questions for the xr650 vets if you have some time. :devil: :thumbsdn:

1- what are the thickest strongest rad guards/braces on the market?

2- do rad braces fit well under the acebis 24l tank {6 gal}?

3- what is the thickest / strongest bash plate out there?

4- are the ims SS foot pegs the biggest out there or are there bigger wider ones?

5- do you know of a MX rear fender that bolts on reasonably well?

6-looking to buy an upgraded 3 phase stator for a dual sport conversion I'm doing. what are you guys suggestions?

7- any one know of a decent saddle bag set up for sale?

8- what am i missing from my parts list?

thx for any and all help. :thumbsdn:

• Miguel159

Posted October 15, 2006 - 07:03 PM

Hey Simon: where are you located? On the Island? I've got an 06 XRR and have put on some of those mods you're after. Drop me a PM.

• Dirtybill

Posted October 15, 2006 - 09:29 PM

Ha haha! Another BC'r here but in Langley. Coincidentally, I was looking at a very good condition XR650 on Saturday at a Dealer. May wait a day or 2 before I give him a low ball offer..........at first. I'm tired of the no torque KLX400. Doing a lot more logging roads lately and riding with an XR650 owning friend, a Touratech GS650 Rallye friend and another one who uses his 950 KTM. I NEEEEEEEEEEEED more TORQUE!!!

• simon@vic

Posted October 15, 2006 - 10:57 PM

a buddy of mine will but the klx off you if it is a decent deal.

if you want to sell it then send me a pm.

• rcnutt

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:23 AM

uni-biker makes some very stout braces, but that big tank may protect better than braces, for a skid plats look to utah sport cycle. good luck

• Dirtybill

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:52 AM

PM sent. I've got Unabiker rad guards on the 400 and I've got no complaints. A friend recomended Unabiker instead of Devol as he said the Devols don't have the stiff brace that Unabiker has. Haven't really taken a close look at the Devols to see if this is true. I think I bought the Unabikers thru here and the service was excellent.

• pburke

Posted October 16, 2006 - 07:38 AM

for the Acerbis tank bracing, search over at ADVrider in the thumpers forum - there are a few DIY solutions that don't look too complicated to replicate.

saddle bag setup? That whole rear end of the bike will fall off at the first big bump, unless you're carrying less than 30lbs on the back, Ideally you want the weight in back strapped across the rear as close to the rear of the seat as possible to keep the stresses on the subframe in check.

Here's how much/little you can put on the bike in back without risking a major failure:

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Maladjusted_XR

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:02 PM

simon@vic,

Congrats on the "new" BRP!

Also, congrats on being able to do a 40-day tour. You may not want to come back... (speak any Spanish?)

Regarding your questions for equipping and outfitting the XRR for long term touring.

1. The Devol Extreme radiator guards perform extremely well in my experience. I have crash tested mine numerous times. They can and will slightly deform from heavy impacts. All brands will. Easily straightened, if need be. They are equipped with the rear bracing.

2. I think the big tank may interfere with rad guard applications. That size tank will offer some side impact protection but nothing for frontal impacts.

3. Bash plate - Utah Sport Cycle

4. Try Fastway pegs. They are much larger and have adjustable grips studs (2 different lengths available also allows you to "refresh" the grip after they start to wear down.)

6. Try BajaDesigns for stator upgrade or download DIY rewind instructions. Google it.

7. DirtBagz makes a removable saddle bag set-up for the BRP. I have never seen these in person but reviews are good.

8. Missing??? I recommend the following additions to your list...if you don't already have them. (based on my experience)

- Has bike been uncorked? This is first and foremost.
- Steering dampener (Scotts or GPR). Once you've ridden with one you will never ride without it (especially on the pig)
- Fork brace (Summers Racing)
- Rear disc guard (Pro Moto Billet / Scotts, others...)
- seat upgrade (unless you're a member of the IronButt group?)
- hand guards (will pay themselves everytime you save a lever)
- Suspension. Is the bike set up for your weight? larger tank, saddle bags, parts, gear...

Plus all the standard replacement parts (chains / sprockets / levers / cables / pads,discs / etc...)

I also recommend you review other sites dedicated to the BRP (Tims(?) Pig Pen, Borynack) for more. Case venting, clutch bushing replacement, RH footpeg mount, swing arm bolts are some of the issues that are found on the BRP.

Also, Google "XR650R mods" and see other owners that have set their bike up for extended tours.

Hope this information is helpful.

Don't forget to do a ride report!!!

Vaya con mucho cuidado en Mexico. Se manejan loco!!!
Regards,
Chris

• simon@vic

Posted October 17, 2006 - 12:00 AM

- Has bike been uncorked? This is first and foremost.
- Steering dampener (Scotts or GPR). Once you've ridden with one you will never ride without it (especially on the pig)
- Fork brace (Summers Racing)
- Rear disc guard (Pro Moto Billet / Scotts, others...)
- seat upgrade (unless you're a member of the IronButt group?)
- hand guards (will pay themselves everytime you save a lever)
- Suspension. Is the bike set up for your weight? larger tank, saddle bags, parts, gear...

Plus all the standard replacement parts (chains / sprockets / levers / cables / pads,discs / etc...)

I also recommend you review other sites dedicated to the BRP (Tims(?) Pig Pen, Borynack) for more. Case venting, clutch bushing replacement, RH foot peg mount, swing arm bolts are some of the issues that are found on the BRP.

-uncorked + fmf ti
-not going for a dampener {but good idea}
-fork brace is a nice idea {im used to bikes with inverted front ends.....}
-rr disk guard im skipping to
-seat is coming
-hand guards/bark busters are on the way
-suspension should be fine with just fresh oil @ the weight i will be putting on it {i only weigh 165lbs}
-output shaft seal + extra parts are must on any trip

" Case venting, clutch bushing replacement, RH foot peg mount, swing arm bolts "

please do tell!!! im a Honda mechanic and have never seen any of the above problems. but the xr doesn't sell at all up here so i never see one on my bench.

trip report will be large! and long with lots of pictures!!!
here are the pictures of my last long range trip.
400 pictures of a 4200km in Cambodia on an XR in 2006

• pburke

Posted October 17, 2006 - 12:34 PM

" Case venting, clutch bushing replacement, RH foot peg mount, swing arm bolts "

please do tell!!! im a Honda mechanic and have never seen any of the above problems. but the xr doesn't sell at all up here so i never see one on my bench.

http://www.xr650r.us/issues/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted October 17, 2006 - 04:55 PM

http://www.xr650r.us/issues/

wow. thx for the link. that is a very nice "issues page" ketos to who ever spent all the time. thank you!!!

• simon@vic

Posted October 17, 2006 - 05:38 PM

here is an updated parts list...................... any input would be nice

-risers
-pro tapers
-hand guards
-skid plate {works connection is way cheaperin canada for me over the Utah one. is it ok in comparison?}
-rad braces {works connection}
-foot pegs {ims SS}
-trail tech vapor + case
-24l {60 gal} tank
-seat is coming {need recommendations of a good gel seat}
-stator {moose. any know problems???}

thx again for the help boyz

• JKL

Posted October 17, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hey Simon - might have seen you riding around the southern part of the island.
Get yourself a rear disc guard unless you want to try straightening your rotor - and wearing out your rear pads super quick.
My sharkfin is so dented up after a summer of riding that it paid for itself many times over.
Looking forward to a ride report!

• Maladjusted_XR

Posted October 17, 2006 - 09:03 PM

WC makes skid for BRP? Should be ok if 3/16" of thicker. Design is copied widely by multiple suppliers.

My buddy had WC rad (braces) on his pig. Folded like a sheet of paper on a big hit (POS). With the 6gal tank, you may not need guards anyway??? (at least for lateral protection).

Renazco seats are widely regarded as one of the best. Expensive.

I would verify through test rides that the front forks will perform adaquately with the larger tank (full).

Rear disc guard is cheap insurance against bent / broke disc. You should see the amount of damage mine collects.

Radiator cap and thermostat are also minor issues that need resolving before any serious riding is undertaken.

Though the BRP has a couple of issues, they are generally easy to correct. Once done, this bike is unstoppable.

BTW, very nice RR of Cambodia.

Good luck.

CJ

• simon@vic

Posted October 18, 2006 - 07:40 AM

Maladjusted_XR

thx for all the info!! and the heads up on the skinny ass-ed rad supports!

i will post up pictures of my custom dual sport kit build. and others as i build up the bike. so please continue to comment.

thx again

• Koko Azuela

Posted October 18, 2006 - 08:12 AM

here is an updated parts list...................... any input would be nice

-risers
-pro tapers
-hand guards
-skid plate {works connection is way cheaperin canada for me over the Utah one. is it ok in comparison?}
-rad braces {works connection}
-foot pegs {ims SS}
-trail tech vapor + case
-24l {60 gal} tank
-seat is coming {need recommendations of a good gel seat}
-stator {moose. any know problems???}

thx again for the help boyz

I don't see a steering stabilizer on the list of goodies, ADD ONE!!!! GPR or Scotts :devil:

• simon@vic

Posted October 18, 2006 - 01:03 PM

what is a good price for a steering stabilizer?

• JKL

Posted October 18, 2006 - 04:40 PM

BRP has a Scotts submount with upper triple clamp. http://www.brpit.com/
Raises the bars and moves them forward.
Posted Image

• pburke

Posted October 19, 2006 - 04:06 AM

BRP has a Scotts submount with upper triple clamp. http://www.brpit.com/
Raises the bars and moves them forward.
Posted Image

that is my next upgrade. Any suggestions on a good bar height once you install this for a 6'2" rider?

Peter

• simon@vic

Posted October 19, 2006 - 06:32 AM

JKL

that looks like a very nice set up. but $639.95US is way too expensive for me.

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.