little oil in the bottom
did valves, took the bike for about 50 miles, checked oil every stop

Came home washed the bike and checked the inside again, NO oil

But just wondereng if anyone else seen this with theres
06 XR650R

Thanks

• moleculo

Posted October 15, 2006 - 01:11 PM

a small amount of oil in the left case cover is pretty typical among 650R's. I suspect it is leftover from when the motor was originally assembled. Now if you clean the oil out and it reappears again then I'd take a hard look at the left crank seal.

• dick757

Posted October 16, 2006 - 01:07 PM

Thanks
did not have any there today :devil:

• creeky

Posted October 16, 2006 - 02:12 PM

When the engine is not running, oil will slowly seep into the crankcase from the frame reservoir. The longer the bike sits unused, the more oil will be found in the crankcase. You didn't see any oil shortly after running the engine because there wasn't time for a lot of oil to find it's way into the crankcase. This is also why the oil should be checked only after running the engine for a while.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moleculo

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:24 PM

When the engine is not running, oil will slowly seep into the crankcase from the frame reservoir. The longer the bike sits unused, the more oil will be found in the crankcase. You didn't see any oil shortly after running the engine because there wasn't time for a lot of oil to find it's way into the crankcase. This is also why the oil should be checked only after running the engine for a while.

The XR650R flywheel cover houses a dry sealed compartment that is separate from the crankcase. Engine oil should not be in there.

• Max Power

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:52 PM

Really.... This place cracks me up.

Posted Image

• creeky

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:56 PM

My bad, CRS moment, sorry, apologies to all.

• Maladjusted_XR

Posted October 16, 2006 - 06:18 PM

This has been a common issue since 2000. Supposedly, the tight sealing case cover doesn't vent and thus creates a vacuum and actually causes the crank seal to slightly leak oil.

Typically, a small flexible tube (~1/16" diam) is inserted into the wiring harness sleeve. One open end is left inside the case and the other end is routed to the airbox. I think Summers Racing sells a kit.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.