Best all around gearing

13 replies to this topic
  • wheelnut46

Posted October 14, 2006 - 05:52 PM

I am FINALLY getting off road with my XRL. In the year that I've had it and 2000+ miles that I've added to it (6,900 total) it's been almost all road and I found the stock gearing to be fine. Now that I'm finally exploring old abandoned railroad tracks and the trails that are often found nearby I am finding that 1st is a bit too tall and yes, the space between first and second is big. On the tight trails I'm in 1st and second pretty much exclusively and on the tracks (woops) I get into 3rd. I'm pretty slow and it aint no trail bike so I dont need super off road capability. I commute on this beast and need it to stay good on road and improve off road. That's not too much to ask right? And Yes, I did a search (http://www.thumperta...ghlight=gearing)but no, it only made me want to ask more questions.

• XRsteve

Posted October 14, 2006 - 06:22 PM

If you're still doing mostly street, I'd go with a 14-45 setup. This will work a little better off road than the stock 15-45, and still be good for the street.

• PIP RC51

Posted October 14, 2006 - 07:05 PM

Here is a :devil: question. Is the gearing on the 650-R the same and when changing for more street ability or dirt ability, does the same apply for R-vs-L?

Best street / super moto gearing?
Best off road gearing?

PIP

• PIP RC51

Posted October 14, 2006 - 07:08 PM

The R that I am looking at was changed to a 13 tooth front for that same reason. He said that in the woods he could only rarely get into 2nd and only on fire roads to 3rd. He kept the same rear.

PIP

• cleonard

Posted October 15, 2006 - 10:14 AM

One simple thing to do on the 650L is to change the front sprocket to a 14 for the stock 15. It's quick to swap the front sprocket and will almost always work with the stock chain. A 14 front will really help in the tight stuff. If you want a 14 tooth OEM Honda sprocket, get one for a late 90's XR600.

The 650R is kind of the same. If you want less revs on the street, it's simple to put a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket on there.

• brichter

Posted October 15, 2006 - 02:20 PM

I've got street wheels (with street tires) and dirt wheels (with non-DOT knobbies) When I swap wheels for a trip to the dirt, I swap the front sprocket (15 stock) with a 14 tooth for the dirt. Takes less that 5 minutes to swap since the rear wheel is already off, and really wakes first and second gear up. If I leave the 14 on for the street, it's ok unless you're on the freeway (everyone does 75+ out here :thumbsdn:).

If you ride really goaty stuff in the dirt, don't be afraid to try a 13 tooth, you can find aftermarket sprockets for $15-20. I've got one kicking around I use for woods riding, not too hot on catching trees in the chest at 40+ :devil:

• rebelventurer

Posted October 15, 2006 - 04:01 PM

Stock gearing on the R is 14/48, for street try 15/48.
On the L stock is 15/45, for dirt try 14/45 - 48, I have been running 14/48 for a while and its a little buzzy for the street, but will still run over 90 if I need to, but its great offroad tightens up the 1st to 2nd gap it seems, will pull third gear wheelies from low in the revs gotta love that torque!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dennisthe

Posted October 15, 2006 - 04:22 PM

I changed from the stock 14/48 on my R to a 13/50. I do alot of woods and tight stuff and this helps cut back on some shifting and clutch work. Still will do 85+, which I rarely see. Also adds to the terrific grunt it already has.

How often do you need to do 70+?

• LeadDoggy

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:25 AM

Dropped one tooth on the front of my XR600R DS. Works great for tight stuff on the trail, along with up and down technical hills. Can still do 70+ but it be revin a bit to high for my liking.

• wheelnut46

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:08 AM

OK so it sounds like 14 teeth in front is the way to go. How about the rear? Stay with 45 for streetability? Or is there an in-between gear setup that works ok everywhere.
Also is there any particular brand that I should consider? I plan on using an X-ring chain and I know to replace both sprockets and chain together. The new sprockets will be steel of course. Thanks for the input.

• Ferdinand

Posted October 16, 2006 - 11:09 AM

14-45, If needbe you can still change back to 15 or go to a 13 depending on where you are riding, but 14-45 is probably the best trade off for both. Still might be a bit tall for tight stuff. I'm to the point I just run stock for everything, got tired of switching and trying to find the best combination, then again I don't ride much tight stuff with my L's.

• lrutt

Posted October 16, 2006 - 11:59 AM

Stock gearing on the R is 14/48, for street try 15/48.
On the L stock is 15/45, for dirt try 14/45 - 48, I have been running 14/48 for a while and its a little buzzy for the street, but will still run over 90 if I need to, but its great offroad tightens up the 1st to 2nd gap it seems, will pull third gear wheelies from low in the revs gotta love that torque!

This is what I'm running as well. It will easily do 65 to 70 on the road. If you have a lot of highway commuting then stay with 45 on the rear. Otherwise go with the 14/48, great combo.

• goblin127

Posted October 16, 2006 - 12:08 PM

I go with the 14/48 also. I can do the highway but when it hits 60 that is when it starts to get a buzz that will get bothersome. Small stretches of highway are not a problem and its great around town.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 16, 2006 - 02:38 PM

If you see a lot of highway use, 65+mph go with 14/45, if not go with the 14/48, or in between with 14/46. Got a great deal on a quality RK xring chain with JT sprockets on ebay for $90.
Dealer gets that for the chain.
You can search ebay under xr650l, or go to the ebay store for dirtparts,(name of store, ebay seller) shipping was quick and they will do whatever gearing you want, no extra charge for the non-stock gearing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.