Acerbis Brake/tailight= Junk

13 replies to this topic
  • rebelventurer

Posted October 14, 2006 - 10:25 AM

I bought an Acerbis brake/tailight, thinking I was upgrading from the stock television set. Woe unto me, the thing was built so cheap it worked for about 10 minutes, after replacing the bulb 3 or 4 times and bending the contact arms and constantly having to work on it to keep it working. I finaly fixed it. I cut the whole bulb mount assembly off the back of the reflector, bought a 3157 bulb holder and pig tail from the auto parts store, after a little time with a dremel tool got the hole the right size in the reflector. I put a little silicone rtv on the bulb housing and assembled it all. Wallah, 2 days later everything works fine. Finally, I am happy with my tailight! So if you purchase one of these pieces of work get reay to spend another $10 and about an hour of your time making the light dependable!

• Jon-D

Posted October 14, 2006 - 02:46 PM

Although I don’t have much time on mine (10-15 hours) it has been dependable. When I began reading your post I thought it was an electrical problem causing the bulb to frequently burn out. But as I read on it sounds like the new holder that you installed corrected the problem. Is there something obviously wrong with the original holder compared to the new one?

• rebelventurer

Posted October 14, 2006 - 03:55 PM

YES, the contacts on the bulb holder are weak copper arms, that easily lose their tension and the fluctuation in the connection causes the bulbs to burn out. I even tried soldering the bulb contacts directly to the holder arms, lasted a few days. then the bulb burnrd out. since replacing the holder I feel I have fixed the problem. Have spoken with others who have had similar problems with acerbis electrical parts. Some have stated that acerbis seems to be electrically challenged, and they should stick to plastic, and clothing!

• texsurfer

Posted October 14, 2006 - 06:10 PM

after the Acerbis breaks, buy a DRC Edge2...

http://www.equipment...D=235&loc=na-en

• goblin127

Posted October 15, 2006 - 02:46 AM

Although I don’t have much time on mine (10-15 hours) it has been dependable. When I began reading your post I thought it was an electrical problem causing the bulb to frequently burn out. But as I read on it sounds like the new holder that you installed corrected the problem. Is there something obviously wrong with the original holder compared to the new one?

Very cheap manufacturing. I had one and it caused me way to many problems. Could not be relied upon at night.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 15, 2006 - 05:00 AM

after the Acerbis breaks, buy a DRC Edge2...

http://www.equipment...D=235&loc=na-en

very nice looking light setup! where does one find those?

EDIT: FOUND IT: http://www.wheelingc...&cat_id=72#1926

• rebelventurer

Posted October 15, 2006 - 06:20 AM

Thanks guys, before I buy anything else for my bike, I am going to start a thread about it, cause I am sorry I bought the acerbis light. You guys are the best testimony a person could ask for when it comes to mods/ upgrades for the big thumper.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LandSharkGT

Posted October 15, 2006 - 10:52 AM

Nice info! I need that as I was looking into this exact swap!!
Thanx guys,
Bill

• justicedone

Posted October 15, 2006 - 10:55 AM

Acerbis lights dont carry a great rep, thats for sure.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 15, 2006 - 12:49 PM

Hey Justice

Are you satisfied with the one you got from 4Strokes Only? Is it DOT? Does it have clear bulbs in the bottom for the light? I ask, because i am about do to this as well!

Thanks

• justicedone

Posted October 15, 2006 - 03:38 PM

I have been happy with mine, it has a small clear plastic area to light up the plate. I do need to get a new cover for mine as it has a hairline crack starting. I suggest ordering a spare. If you look closely at the pic in my garage, you will see how i used a pice of the stock rubber to cover the wires. I also would get the pice of rubber to bolt your plated down, will keep it from rattling, chaffing or coming loose.

• xr650l bum

Posted October 15, 2006 - 06:27 PM

I just fixed exact problem! First bulb kept burning out! Fixed that problem by putting in a rubber thing/ bracket to keep bulb from bouncing breaking. That worked great until the heat from light melted the plastic housing so it would not hold a bulb. Figured that if tried again with LED light temp would not be a problem. Went to baja desingns where I purchased first shock resistant housing, but they dont carry any more. Completely fixed problem by going to auto store buying metal housing and placing it in rubber holder! LEDs arent that bright so stayed with stock bulb, but problem has been eliminated!!!

• pburke

Posted October 16, 2006 - 07:52 AM

By the way - the Bajadesigns LED light (Posted Image) may look good, but it's not waterproof. I bought the bike with that thing installed and it took 3 puddles to get muddy water inside (it was installed properly)! An hour of disassembly and almost destructive knife and screwdriver glue-cracking later, I was able to clean it out and then seal it with silicone. If you buy this light, plan on sealing it heavily before it fills up with mud.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:30 AM

I love my Baja Designs LED taillight. It is bright, looks cool and very reliable, had it about a year, never a problem at all. Uses no amperage either so my battery on my XR610R Supermoto stays charged all the time.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.