Stock jets and needle pos on an '02

2 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted October 14, 2006 - 06:44 AM

While I've got my carb apart for cleaning I though I'd check what the original owner might have changed in-so-far as jets and needle position. I can't find stock settings either in my shop manual or doing a search here at TT.

I'd also be interested in someones suggestions for new settings at my altitude of about 3000ft. It runs OK as is but I don't have a good feel for whether it might be a little rich or lean and if could run even better.

I've recently installed a Quickshot AC pump cover too and that seemed to help the bottom end a bit. The BK mod is outta my league because I don't understand all that timing of the squirt thing so I'd rather just get it jetted as best possible. Thanks

Here's what I've got now:
main 162
pilot 42
starter 72
needle 3rd from top
fuel screw zip-ty 2 1/2 turns out
needle jet (could not locate)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted October 14, 2006 - 01:58 PM

Thats the stock jets. Buy yourself a JD jet kit and follow the instructions. I could not believe how crisp my 426 is with the kit. Its a night and day difference in throttle response.

• Goosedog

Posted October 14, 2006 - 06:54 PM

Thanks 642MX. The one discrepancy with this present set-up though and what the manual does say is that the needle's supposed to be in the forth (not third) position. Until I get a JD kit I'll probably move it back to the forth cause I think it's running a little lean anyway.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.