Handlebar Clamp Torque Specs?

6 replies to this topic
  • Boston Mangler

Posted October 14, 2006 - 06:20 AM

Hey Guys

I just put a new set of bars on. I was surprised that the bolts on the handlebar clamp didnt seem all that tight. What is the torque spec on these? I want to make sure they are secure and dont want to over tighten them.

Also, i ordered a factory repair manual, and its on its way! :devil:

Thanks

• hypersthenos

Posted October 14, 2006 - 07:38 AM

First step is to torque down the forward bolts all the way first with the rears backed out to allow the you to close the gap in front all the way. The dots on the top of the clamps face forward. Then torque the rearward ones. Proper torque is not specifially provided for the bar clamps in my service manual but generally I torque them to 10-12 ft/lbs. This leaves them plenty tight but allows them to move in the event of a crash to minimize bending the bars.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 14, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted October 14, 2006 - 08:01 AM

the specs that I got from protaper state to tighten the clamps evenly you want at least 1/16" gap at ALL the flats on the bar mounts and they state not to exceed 25 ft. lbs. of torque.

• CTXr650L

Posted October 14, 2006 - 11:33 AM

the factory honda shop manual shows 20 ft/lb for the handle bar clamps. although it doesnt say to keep even spacing in the clamps thats the way i keep them because thats the way it was from the factory on mine and on the new one on the salesfloor.

• CTXr650L

Posted October 14, 2006 - 11:36 AM

btw when you get your factory manual you will notice 3 #s for torque spec with every fastener, they are listed in order N/M (newton/meter) kg/m (kilogram/meter) ft/lb (foot/pound). hope your manual comes faster than mine, when i ordered it was on backorder for almost 2 months, but it sure is nice to have it now. :devil:

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 14, 2006 - 12:40 PM

btw when you get your factory manual you will notice 3 #s for torque spec with every fastener, they are listed in order N/M (newton/meter) kg/m (kilogram/meter) ft/lb (foot/pound). hope your manual comes faster than mine, when i ordered it was on backorder for almost 2 months, but it sure is nice to have it now. :devil:

thanks, they estimated about 2-3 weeks! :thumbsdn:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.