Changing handlebars - XR650L

14 replies to this topic
  • wheelnut46

Posted October 13, 2006 - 06:18 PM

I want to get a set of aluminum, taller handlebars. I was thinking about the CR high bend (am taking recommendations). I'm only 5'10 but feel real hunched down while riding standing up. I noticed that the kill switch has a pin that positions itself into a hole in the handlebar. What is the purpose of this pin/hole. Will the new handlebar need a hole drilled into it or should I just file the pin down. The stock handlebars are 7/8 but the oversized bars should be stronger. Is it a big deal to go oversize for the casual rider? Are 7/8 renthals too weak to consider? Even 7/8 aluminum is stronger than the stock steel bars right?
Will my levers, mirrors, switches, throttle fit an oversize bar?
Anything else I should know?

Thanks for the help with my rookie-type questions

:devil:

• simon@vic

Posted October 13, 2006 - 06:35 PM

get tapered bars and risers. 1 1/8th.

• MindBlower

Posted October 13, 2006 - 07:29 PM

I want to get a set of aluminum, taller handlebars. I was thinking about the CR high bend (am taking recommendations). I'm only 5'10 but feel real hunched down while riding standing up. I noticed that the kill switch has a pin that positions itself into a hole in the handlebar. What is the purpose of this pin/hole. Will the new handlebar need a hole drilled into it or should I just file the pin down. The stock handlebars are 7/8 but the oversized bars should be stronger. Is it a big deal to go oversize for the casual rider? Are 7/8 renthals too weak to consider? Even 7/8 aluminum is stronger than the stock steel bars right?
Will my levers, mirrors, switches, throttle fit an oversize bar?
Anything else I should know?

Thanks for the help with my rookie-type questions

:devil:

Mine's an R so I don't know how they compare, but I'm only 5'10" and I LOVE my CR high bends. It's only an inch or two difference but it FEELS so much better.
7/8 are plenty strong, they are 99.9% of all bars out there. If you want oversized, go for it. but you don't Need oversized. Way stronger than stock pretzel.

• goblin127

Posted October 13, 2006 - 08:02 PM

File the tab. The cr high bends are great if you need risers rocky mountain has them,maybe the TT store also.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 14, 2006 - 04:31 AM

I just went through this and out of all of the bars i checked out and all of the larger local folks that own pigs recommended the renthal "Desert Vintage High" bend. It has about 1 1/2" more rise then the CR HIGH and less sweep! They are PERFECT for what i was looking for.

These bars sit about 2" higher then stock and about an inch further away from me.

There are pics in my garage!

• pigryder

Posted October 14, 2006 - 06:00 AM

cr high bend on both my pigs, so much better on the L because of the long pull back of the stock bars, Im also 5'10, love renthals 7/8s

• Motorrider

Posted October 14, 2006 - 11:19 PM

I put the Pro-Taper 7/8 bars on my L, and kept the little nipples on the controls. I just kind of lined them up on the bars, and drilled holes in the bars to accomodate. Did it all on the bike. I didn't want the controls or mirrors to be able to move around the bar by grinding the nipple off. I went with the CR High Bend and am very pleased. The bars were much cheaper than the regular tapered Pro Tapers with the new triple clamp and all that. Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • justicedone

Posted October 15, 2006 - 07:12 AM

I use the Pro-Taper CRF/High bends with the riser adapters and grinded off the tabs on controls. My hand gurd mounts were made for smaller diameter bars, but nothing a half hour with a die grinder and files couldnt fix...then I kinda polished them up a bit. Came out very nice...Then I put a wrap of electrical tape where the controls would mount, and tightened them down real good. If they got a good whack they would swivel and be much less likely to get broken.

I would not reccomend drilling a set of bars, as over time, road fatigue, and offroading would weaken that point, maybe even to failure and a wicked crash.

• wheelnut46

Posted October 15, 2006 - 07:15 PM

Went to cycle shop today (open on Sunday :devil: ) and bought aluminum Moose CR high bend handlbars (7/8). They cost about 1/2 of what the Renthals cost, and I bought barkbusters and some other stuff. After I got home I was surprised to see that they're not that much taller than stock but definitely a lot less sweep, and quite a bit wider. If I have to I will get risers. I'll try to mount them up later this week.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 16, 2006 - 04:23 AM

After I got home I was surprised to see that they're not that much taller than stock but definitely a lot less sweep, and quite a bit wider. If I have to I will get risers. I'll try to mount them up later this week.

Yes, that was my problem with them. Check out the "Desert Vintage Tall" bend from Renthal. They are almost identical to the CR Highs, but sit an inch higher! I figured i would go with this bend rather then the CR highs and then add risers, comes out to the same amount of $

• pslbud

Posted April 02, 2013 - 10:11 AM

I am 6'2" and am looking for the highest rise I can possibly go without having to replace the cables. I just purchased HDB handguards for 7/8" setup so I will be sticking with 7/8" bars. Suggestions please on how much rise the cables can handle with specific bars and risers info. The CR high bend sounds good and seems very popular with the XRL owners but is there still room for risers with the stock cable setup?

Thanks in advance.
Phil

• Kyron

Posted April 02, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Most people use the fatter bars because the adapter adds more height....

• Kyron

Posted April 02, 2013 - 10:55 AM

My adapter is 3" tall and I use cr hi bars

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130113_122247.jpg

• elsalvadorXR6

Posted April 02, 2013 - 12:25 PM

my only advice is to cut the ends off of most aftermarket bars at least 3/4 inch on each side. most bars nowadays measure 31.5 or 32 inches wis is pretty extreme for smaller people

it adds unneeded stress on your arms and shoulders and you will get more arm pump. I have mine at a nice 29.5 for quick woods, trail riding...the front end will be more twitchy but you will not get as much arm wear and fatigue...

anywhoo
I like carmicheal bends and woods high

cheers

• mastera210

Posted April 04, 2013 - 01:15 AM

like narrow bars with CR High with NO cutting bars and room for controls? This is the Renthal fatbars I use
width height rise sweep control
RC MINI 29.14 4.64 3.26 1.65 6.96
CR HIGH 31.30 3.74 2.75 4.52 7.87

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.