what can i do to my yz450f

19 replies to this topic
  • LAZY THUMPER

Posted October 13, 2006 - 04:53 PM

to make it a little more trail friendly. i never ride track or plan to. i was thinking about getting a wr450f but this bike is paid for.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 13, 2006 - 08:16 PM

What's been done to it so far? My basic trail essentials: good skid plate, radiator braces, triple clamp mounted hand guards, and a sparky. You can do a lot of other stuff, but most of it is just personal preference.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 13, 2006 - 08:27 PM

Almost forgot... get a decent chain also.

• kskyles

Posted October 13, 2006 - 09:16 PM

flywheel weight, barkbusters, skidplate should do it.

• kawirider

Posted October 14, 2006 - 04:50 AM

Suspension revalve for woods riding would probably help more than anything else.

• Desert Rat 450

Posted October 14, 2006 - 07:39 AM

Ride ''Lazy Thumper'' Ride :devil: :thumbsdn:

• LAZY THUMPER

Posted October 14, 2006 - 08:46 AM

the bike is mostly stock. i have works connection skid plate and frame guards. What chain should i use?(its still stock) what i think i want to do is tone down the snappy power it has. i still have the stock pipe fitted with the pro moto billet sparky and sliencer.
I think i read somewhere about people putting a yz cam in a wr. can i put a wr cam in my yz? and how much would that change the bike?

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 14, 2006 - 10:13 AM

I think i read somewhere about people putting a yz cam in a wr. can i put a wr cam in my yz? and how much would that change the bike?

It mellows the power delivery

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2006 - 11:04 AM

It mellows the power delivery

...and lops about 3-4 hp off the top, but the bike can actually spare it.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 14, 2006 - 01:51 PM

...and lops about 3-4 hp off the top, but the bike can actually spare it.

46 HP with smooth delivery and 50 HP with the delivery of a top fuel dragster can be the difference between being able to ride singletrack all day or going home after two hours because your arms are tire from hanging on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted October 14, 2006 - 01:55 PM

I put an autoclutch in my YZ. It makes the MXer alot more trail friendly.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 14, 2006 - 02:17 PM

Any good O or X ring chain would be fine, I've run the RK X-ring on both my 450 and my 426 with good results. A lot of guys like the Regina's, but the less expensive RK has held up and worked great for me.

• LAZY THUMPER

Posted October 14, 2006 - 03:42 PM

How hard is it to change the cam? any special tools needed?also would i need to lean the carb?

• 1BLUEsky

Posted October 14, 2006 - 08:14 PM

The cam change is easy after you get all your plastic, tank and seat off. I'd recommend getting a manual on it but if you take your time and make observations about how it looks before you take it apart its pretty easy.A digital camera can help with this. one word of caution, when pulling the cam watch that the half circle retainers don't fall into the lower case. Honestly I'd think about a fly wheel weight to smooth the power and susp. mods first!

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2006 - 09:14 PM

All this depends a great deal on which YZ450 we're working on, too. The '06 needs a lot less civilizing than the earlier models. It's not really any slower at all, but it's a much easier bike to ride through the technical stuff in several respects.

• LAZY THUMPER

Posted October 15, 2006 - 06:34 AM

All this depends a great deal on which YZ450 we're working on, too. The '06 needs a lot less civilizing than the earlier models. It's not really any slower at all, but it's a much easier bike to ride through the technical stuff in several respects.

its an 04

• tnl

Posted October 15, 2006 - 12:35 PM

I have about 80 miles of desert riding on my bike and have added a T.T. skid plate and (MX) hand guards so far. Some other mods that would help me first and foremost: A recluse clutch, larger tank, sprocket change, maybe a radiator overflow tank ( get's way hot out here) and a higher paying job! Still fun with the set up I currently have!

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted October 15, 2006 - 03:16 PM

My 426 is a woods machine: Compression is 5 clicks out from stock front and rear (free), Factory Connection radiator braces, Acerbis bark busters, 13/50 gearing with Regina o-ring, Pro Moto Billet kickstand, Dirtly.com bar risers 1 inch up and 1.5 inches forward, disc guards, skid plate, rear fender bag, Rekluse autoclutch (she's got the spider inside 'er, awesome!), Clarke 3.3 gallon clear tank, IRC VE33 rear tire, Maxxis SI front tire, HD tubes, and a chainsaw mount! :devil:

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted October 15, 2006 - 06:18 PM

I have the same bike and the same year.

If you're going to be riding in the woods, a kickstand will surely be a nice thing to have.

Don't install the WR cam, just put on a Rekluse and a flywheel weight.

Here's what I have done to my bike:

Revalve front and rear, kept the springs
Skid plate, rad. shrouds
HD tubes
Maxxis SI in the front, IT 120 in the rear
Fastway bark busters
PMB sparky end cap on a stock silencer
2.8 gal IMS tank
16 oz Steahlthy Bolt-On flywheel weight
Rekluse
Ironman sprockets, stock on the rear, dropped one tooth on the front from stock
DID X-Ring
Touratech GPS mount
Gel cell battery zip tied inside of the airbox to power the Garmin
Gilsson External GPS Antenna
Scotts Steering Damper

In my opinion, the top few add-ons were the Rekluse, Revalve, Scotts Damper.

At first I was hesitant at putting the heaviest flywheel weight Stealthy made, but I got it used for $10. It made all the difference in the world to me and didn't seem to tame down the engine all that much.

Dirty

• Alex_YZ450F

Posted October 15, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Don't know if it has been said, but running engine ice helps a lot and I have a new water pump cover and impeller (though if it is running long enough without moving it will over heat).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.