650R Electric start bike and E kit

13 replies to this topic
  • pgiinc

Posted October 13, 2006 - 01:38 PM

why can't we get this bike here, do you think we can get someone to look into this . Who speaks Italian
at least buy the E start kits From them . I pay top dollar
check out the link

http://dallarahonda.com/xrseries.htm

• rebelventurer

Posted October 13, 2006 - 01:47 PM

Thats a good question, piginc. I guess the europeans are "special" they have been getting the bikes we only dream of for years!! :devil:

• wickedsprint

Posted October 13, 2006 - 02:31 PM

I guess europeans don't know how to kickstart or properly tune their motorcycles.

• rockmaster

Posted October 15, 2006 - 06:27 AM

why can't we get this bike here, do you think we can get someone to look into this . Who speaks Italian
at least buy the E start kits From them . I pay top dollar
check out the link

http://dallarahonda.com/xrseries.htm

You can thank our state and federal governments for their desperate efforts to protect our safety and to make a buck. The Italians have a really cool motorcycle cottage industry that builds bikes that we would love to have here in the states. They're even government supported in a quiet sort of way. They can't ship here for a number of reasons: 1) product liability issues in the US, 2.) lousey dollar to euro ratio, and 3.) the stupid additional safety requirements and emission controls for the US.

I want an electric start XR650R taged for the street so bad I can taste it. I guess Baja designs is the only alternative and I don't like their pasted on electric starter.

• pgiinc

Posted October 15, 2006 - 07:33 AM

I have a tagged 650R
but I want a e start also with it
I emailed the dealer and them respond saying the e start kit was 1000 euro
now I am working on buying it from them
prob won't get any were
why can't we get these e start kit from other source of honda? if the make it

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 15, 2006 - 08:57 AM

I am confused. Is anyone saying they think this e-start kit is a Honda manufactured kit?

I looked at their website and the kit looks very complete, professional and almost "stock". But it is an aftermarket kit. It is not made by Honda, though the kit may contain some miscellaneous Honda parts (not sure).

1000 Euros is roughly US$1200,last time I saw the exchange rate. Regarding sourcing this kit, seems like if some distributor like Barnums were willing to pick up stateside distribution--and make a volume order--you could probably bring the price down to around US$750-800 which would be competitive with BD's kit.

Problem is I do not think BD is selling more than maybe one e-start kit per month. Bottom line is there is not a solid business case for someone to be an importer of this new kit.

As much as I love my 650R, the truth is its production cycle is nearing the end. That's not to say its "productivity" is over. Far from it. Just like the 600R before it the 650R will be a high-performance legend for years to come. (God-willing, I intend to keep mine forever.) Unfortunately its limited sales volume just does not support the economical development and marketing of complex aftermarket options such as an E-start kit.

I've been ridiculed before for saying this, but, here goes again; part of the alure that the 650R has for me is precisely that it is "kick-start only". If I'd wanted an open-class competitive thumper with e-start I'd have bought a Husky or KTM.

I respect others who would like to add an e-button, but no matter which supplier you choose, its going be expensive.

• wickedsprint

Posted October 15, 2006 - 01:27 PM

I've been ridiculed before for saying this, but, here goes again; part of the alure that the 650R has for me is precisely that it is "kick-start only". If I'd wanted an open-class competitive thumper with e-start I'd have bought a Husky or KTM.

It's like...you've known me forever...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • uncleroby

Posted October 15, 2006 - 01:48 PM

I guess europeans don't know how to kickstart or properly tune their motorcycles.

Hey, take it easy man! :thumbsdn:

I owned XR600R, XR650R, XR400R and never felt the need of a magic button !

The point is that here in North Italy ther are not big spaces as in the USA but tight trails and the big XRs are used more as dual sport than as enduro bike because they are too heavy and big.
Some people use them to go to Africa that is one/two days trip with a ferry boat.
In tight trails e-start is very useful and in africa too when you fall many times in the sand.

As regard the e-starter produced by Dallara (www.dallarahonda.com) or by Monnier, the swiss importer (http://www.monnier.c...xr650estart.htm); they are not Honda products but they are developed by the importers.

Here in Italy there are few bikes with such starter and I have no report.
A friend of mine owns a supermoto 650 with E-start and he never had problems with it but it is no game for a statistic.
The battery behind the right radiator and othe solutions make you understand taht it is not made by Honda...

In Italy Dallara does not sell it directly as spare parts: if you want to mount it you are suppose to send him the bike and he does the job, but you may try to let him ship the parts.

To me XR are kick starter, I don't need the magic button! :devil:

• uncleroby

Posted October 15, 2006 - 01:52 PM

You can thank our state and federal governments for their desperate efforts to protect our safety and to make a buck. The Italians have a really cool motorcycle cottage industry that builds bikes that we would love to have here in the states. They're even government supported in a quiet sort of way. They can't ship here for a number of reasons: 1) product liability issues in the US, 2.) lousey dollar to euro ratio, and 3.) the stupid additional safety requirements and emission controls for the US.

I want an electric start XR650R taged for the street so bad I can taste it. I guess Baja designs is the only alternative and I don't like their pasted on electric starter.

In Italy XR are street legal and you can carry a passenger but they are sooo expensive!
We have many taxes, dealer making too many money: bikes and spare parts are too expensive, sometimes I wish I could buy bikes in the USA...

• rockmaster

Posted October 15, 2006 - 01:56 PM

BD's kit probably works well, but it sure looks a little shade tree. With regard to KTM or Husky versus the long in tooth Honda, I've ridden a kick start 650R and it does a few things better than the off the self dual sport offers. It holds lots of oil, it will last forever and you can cruise off road (terrain allowing) at 80-85 mph all day long.

I've got two DRZ470's for the same reason (one off road only '2002 and the other dual sport tagged '2004); they hold lots of oil and they last forever. They aren't as fancy as the latest offerings from the other guys but they will run with them at my riding level. The dual sport can handle highway speeds in the 65-75 mph range, but its light and it will beat you up on a long highway/secondary road ride.

I want the 650R for a ride we are planning from Texas to Faibanks and back for early next summer. The DRZ won't quite cut it, but I think the Honda will. I've even looked at a KTM 570 and it isn't as comfortable as the Honda on a mix of roads.

• rockmaster

Posted October 15, 2006 - 02:05 PM

In Italy XR are street legal and you can carry a passenger but they are sooo expensive!
We have many taxes, dealer making too many money: bikes and spare parts are too expensive, sometimes I wish I could buy bikes in the USA...

There's the basis for a deal to be worked out here, we just have to figure out how to do it?

One thing we have in common are cheap plane tickets if you plan right between Italy and the US. Just maybe ... an interesting and entrepreneurial trade relationship.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 15, 2006 - 03:03 PM

It amazes me how many just love the XR650R because it is Kick Start only. I rode the XR650R for years as a kick only. In the mountain woods trails many a time I found myself in a situation where I couldn't kick the bike easily and balance it at the same time. It is so much easier now that I have had the E-start for 2 years. In the desert Kicking was no big deal but there was a time when all I had was a KX500 and a XR650R and woods riding was all I did.

If the XR650R would have come out with a E-Start from the get go it would have sold considerably better than it has. Almost every review of the XR650R when it first came out lamented the fact that is did not have an E-button like the 520/525.

I hope to be riding the XR650R for many years. I may even purchase a new one before they cease production. Unless Honda does what we all been hoping and replaces the XR650L with a XR650R dual sport.
Posted Image

• uncleroby

Posted October 16, 2006 - 01:20 AM

There's the basis for a deal to be worked out here, we just have to figure out how to do it?

One thing we have in common are cheap plane tickets if you plan right between Italy and the US. Just maybe ... an interesting and entrepreneurial trade relationship.

No way RockMaster! :devil:

Plate a bike coming from another country is almost impossible or very expensive.
They do it on purpose...

The price for a new XR650R here is 8.400 euro :thumbsdn:

• Dirtybill

Posted October 16, 2006 - 05:56 AM

If you are on good terms with your dealer you may get the E start kit cheaper than the list price on the Baja Designs site. The dealer that has the XR that I'm looking at says he can probably get it way cheaper and work it in the purchase price of the bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.