Just gotta have those black wheels

22 replies to this topic
  • drop

Posted October 13, 2006 - 07:09 AM

I love the look of black rims and I'm wondering what's the cheapest way to get that look on my XR650R? Can I send my stock wheels somewhere to get the rims swapped?

• surfnride

Posted October 13, 2006 - 08:09 AM

I have a set of black excels....They were on the bike when I bought it...yes, they look great...until you have to change a tire or two...then, they look like a set of scratched black wheels. Unless you have a super duper high-tech tire machine, or a set of plastic tire irons, count on those wheels looking like s*** in a short time... Food for thought

• motochris

Posted October 13, 2006 - 08:27 AM

That's true....I use a Magic Marker to touch mine up when I'm feeling anal. My other set of wheels has gold rims. Looks much nicer over time.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 13, 2006 - 09:11 AM

You can either send your rims out or take them somewhere and have them anodized, probably will cost about $150.00 for just the anodizing. And heave them relaced, about another 100 bucks. Or send them to Like Motostrano or East Coast Wheels and have them lace up a new set of Excells for about $400.00 and keep your old rims. But be aware, anodizing on a dirt bike is somewhat prone to scratches so if you ride just dirt go with gold as it doesnt show scratches as well. I have excells on my supermoto, their black and look great. But I ride 99% on the street with my XR610R Supermoto. Also, watch out for the anodized Excells as they staion easily if you screw up and spray wheel cleaner of some kinds of degreezer on them too. Mine are a little hazzy right now because the quarter car wash had some degreaser residue in the hose whe I washed the bike last month. Now I hafta wax them to get them shiny again.

• rockn6gs

Posted October 13, 2006 - 11:31 AM

I had TCR wheel do mine.
http://www.tcranodiz...ml/contact.html

• Jaycycle

Posted October 13, 2006 - 11:47 AM

They are nice but, like someone said tire changes do a toll.

• LAZY THUMPER

Posted October 13, 2006 - 11:52 AM

powder coat the stock ones.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 13, 2006 - 11:53 AM

You can only anodize aluminum, not steel the stock wheels are steel, You can get the stock steel wheels powdercoated, for around a $100, but you will have to break everything down to do so.The cheapest way for you to get black wheels is to get a couple of magic markers and color them black. LOL. but that would look well, like you colored them with a magic marker! I have seen excell wheels (rim only) for around $120 each. Lacing them is not as hard as people make it out to be, just take your time, paying someone to do it is usually a rip off $200 to lace two rims, crazy.
I like the black ones too, and have found that if you use some masking tape around the rims and even on your tire tools it will minimize the chances of scratching, once again take your time. Also a good coat of wax or polish with teflon will reduce the off road scratches. I reccomend that if you change rims you should use new spokes, about $60 a set. Hubs are outragously exspensive $350+. What I have done in the past is to use the stock hubs, but I strip the paint and polish them which is time consuming but my labor on my bike is free, which makes sense when you talk about $700+ just for hubs, Oh, then theres bearings and seals and usually new spacers etc... My personal opinion for looks and cost is the excell black rims with new spokes that are black nickel plated and the stock hubs that are either polished or powdercoated. this gives you an all black look except the hub, which to me looks very trick and no one does this, except maybe them h/d chopper guys but that dont count.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 13, 2006 - 12:15 PM

One word: Krylon.

OK, so I'm kinda joking, but honestly, any scratches are easy to fix---just hit 'em with another coat.

Semi-gloss black has a decent finish...not too shiny, not too flat.

Got a bud who works at a pizza place? Bake 'em at 175-200 for a bit.

• drop

Posted October 13, 2006 - 12:18 PM

Anyone have pics of black spray painted rims?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gialinn

Posted October 13, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Newer xr rims are steal? Mine are aluminum on my 82

• rebelventurer

Posted October 13, 2006 - 01:54 PM

If they are aluminum they are not stock, aluminum wheels only on most mx bikes. steel wheels are cheaper and there is no way that honda or any other manufacturer is putting aluminum wheels on their bikes without it being advertised as such, or the expense being passed along to the consumer!
Example KTM uses excells on most of their bikes but they are also expensive bikes! Off-roaders just dont qualify for the additional cost!

• motochris

Posted October 13, 2006 - 02:56 PM

If they are aluminum they are not stock, aluminum wheels only on most mx bikes. steel wheels are cheaper and there is no way that honda or any other manufacturer is putting aluminum wheels on their bikes without it being advertised as such, or the expense being passed along to the consumer!
Example KTM uses excells on most of their bikes but they are also expensive bikes! Off-roaders just dont qualify for the additional cost!

The rims on an XR are aluminum STOCK. I can't even remember SEEING an offroad bike with steel rims in the last 20 years.....at least none that I've owned. Get a magnet if you don't believe me.

• rockn6gs

Posted October 13, 2006 - 03:20 PM

Drop

I did not go with black but I can show you how red looks. My XR came stock with D.I.D aluminum. But I chose to keep the stock wheel's complete for paddle's. Anyway TCR built my excels with Buchanan spokes and I supplied the talon hubs. Tcr did a great job and very friendly service.

http://img183.images...sbike011fg7.jpg

• Blakerj10

Posted October 13, 2006 - 05:22 PM

rockngs, that thing looks fantastic. Man it is clean!

• rockn6gs

Posted October 13, 2006 - 05:31 PM

Thank's.....That's back when she was new shiny.

rockngs, that thing looks fantastic. Man it is clean!

• HawkGT

Posted October 13, 2006 - 06:23 PM

Like motochris said, XR's have aluminum rims stock. Basically, everything has aluminum rims stock. You'd have to work your way down to a cheap bicycle wheel before you'd find a steel rim.

As far as finish damage from tire irons--they do make those nylon rim saver thingys. I've used them on magnesium sportbike wheels with good success. Never tried them on a dirtbike wheel while using tire irons. Seems like they work though.

Posted Image

• pburke

Posted October 13, 2006 - 08:26 PM

my XT600 in 1984 had stock gold anodized aluminum wheels. I think the '82 XT500 already had them

XRR is stock aluminum. Really need to buy one of those XR70s for the kids to find steel these days.

• gialinn

Posted October 18, 2006 - 06:46 AM

I think some of the newer ttrs have steel also, not good

• rmhrc630

Posted October 18, 2006 - 01:52 PM

Dude most bikes from the 80s onwards have alloy rims. One aspect is handling - far far less unsprung weight and so handling improves sustantially

Not sure where you get your info from on XRs but they have had alloy rims since day dot

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.