Replacing Crankcase Cover (left side)

4 replies to this topic
  • A-ron

Posted October 12, 2006 - 08:11 PM

I am helping a friend replace the left side crankcase cover on his 2000 WR400. It seems like a pretty simple procedure, drain the oil, unbolt the old (punctured) crankcase cover, then replace gasket and bolt on the new cover.

My question is this; Do I need to prep the new gasket in any way before bolting on the new cover, or just put it on dry and throw the new cover on top and bolt away?

• A-ron

Posted October 13, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • agermaney

Posted October 13, 2006 - 09:57 AM

Hi A-ron,
Fit the gasket dry as long as both mating faces are in good order. Torque the bolts a little at a time to get a good, even nip.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 13, 2006 - 11:03 AM

My '99 left side cover always needs Gaskasinch (spelling?), otherwise it will leak. Apply it to both sides of the gasket, the engine and the side cover. Let it sit for a few minutes them bolt it up to proper torque specs. If you do go that route, make sure the adhesive cures for a day before you fill the crankcase with oil.

• Seabass

Posted October 13, 2006 - 07:42 PM

I replaced my left side cover after having to take it off trying to find a problem with my starter. I didn't use any gasket sealer and No oil leaks.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.