Fixing a melted hose

5 replies to this topic
  • B-Rock

Posted October 12, 2006 - 11:50 AM

I have no idea how this happened, but I melted my coolant reservoir tank breather hose. (the clear one furthest from the camera in this picture.... doesnt show the melt in the pic)

http://i105.photobuc...een/reroute.jpg

I started my bike after deing away for a week, and I guess I somehow pushed the hose against the header. Anyways, I noticed some coolant leak onto the ground, and then I could smell something burning. The hose is pretty much melted right through. :devil:

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this. I was going to just cut out the melted section and use a plumbing connector to atach them together? That hose is 1/4" right?

Would anyone do something different?

• mangler

Posted October 12, 2006 - 12:02 PM

I did the exact same thing. melted it.

So instead of replacing the entire thing I got a joiner? and new clear tube and spliced in a new section. seems to work good.

I cut off the hose from below the melted section and brought it into Ace hardware for fit.

Good luck.

• B-Rock

Posted October 12, 2006 - 12:09 PM

I did the exact same thing. melted it.

So instead of replacing the entire thing I got a joiner? and new clear tube and spliced in a new section. seems to work good.

I cut off the hose from below the melted section and brought it into Ace hardware for fit.

Good luck.

Is that hose 1/4"? Was the joiner you got 3/16" ?

I'm going to the hardware store today if I can figure it out. It's just a pain with my ride out of comission, so I dont want to make a million trips

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted October 12, 2006 - 12:17 PM

I just cut mine to stop at the top of the shock!

I recommend you route one carb vent line from each side of your carb to the air box. I have seen many of my riding buddies ice up or fail deep river crossings because of it. The factory routing is a joke!

• B-Rock

Posted October 12, 2006 - 12:27 PM

wow thats short indy!

I have read of many people rerouting like you said. It is definitely on my to do list.

Thanks for both your help.

• mangler

Posted October 12, 2006 - 12:36 PM

Once I found a match at ACE for the inner diameter of the hose I cut off a 3 foot section off the roll and brought it over to the plumbing section and found the hose connector fitting that fit perfect and snug.

Good Luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.